Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
idris elba

is it 33 lira for a steak meal this year ?

i am going in couple of weeks and like to be forewarned. i have been going to turkey since 1990 and have never seen such a price rise in all that time, usually it goes up about a pound. we usually eat turkish food anyway, but its nice to have a guide price to work on. The exchange range will have an effect, it was this bad a couple of years ago, but i have never known a rise of 10 lira on a steak !!
where we go the beer has always been 4 to 5 lira so thats not a suprise and as you all know, alcohol is never cheap in turkey as its the tax that keeps the price about the same...

regards
I have just come back from Turkey and the rise in prices was noticeable. All restaurant prices were up a bit due to the price of meat and portions seemed smaller. Petrol was much more than UK. Diesel for the boats is up and so boat trips are more. We couldn't see Efes for less than 5 lira and in a couple of places we were charged 5 lira for the small bottles. Our car hire was 50 lira a day - the same as last year and we have fixed the price with the company for our trip out in August. However some companies were charging 70 lira a day. The exchange rate wasn't very good either - we were getting 2.3 in mini market and I noticed the rate using my debit card in an ATM was 2.19. However this is still better than most countrties who have the euro. I went to Switzerland recently and it was so very expensive.
I blame all of you . Those that post how great Turkey is.
You persuade us all to try Turkey , then after having a great time.
tell us to try a different region .

So we all desert our normal holiday haunts in Cyprus / Greece etc

Then market forces take over , supply and demand
Prices can rise , the hotels are full ( because of your advice )

Answer .... start telling the world how rough Turkey is .
Prices are sky high , weather in August can be freezing !
Tourists numbers will fall, prices will have to come down .
And only me and you will have great Turkish holidays at cheap prices .

Well I can dream.
yep we are all to blame ( but thats life !!! ) :sun2
im just waiting for feed back from marmaris from tourist it will be interesting
tony
I go to Marmaris every year and every year I read this thread on here and hear how expensive it is now and how I will have to sell my kidney to afford my holidays....well every year I go out the prices never seem to rocket as much and I actually found summer 09 cheaper than summer 08! Your holiday can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it. :cheers
greenshoes I was just thinking the same thing. We take the same amount of spending money and don't seem to need more.

Even if there is a slight price rise, I think it's good value for money to eat and drink there.
I've just spoken to a friend who is over in Gumbet at the moment, he says prices are the same, just the exchange rate is a touch lower at the moment at 2.20 ytl to £1. I too read every year that prices are getting higher, panic, and then when I get there, they're pretty much the same as they've been for the last 7 years!!
I agree Vix, prices in Gumbet at least don't sem to have changed much for a few years. I think sometimes first time visitors have been told how cheap it is in Turkey and when they get there they expect it to be really cheap and are disappointed.
I agree with you greenshoes. I too have heard this year after year, start worrying, then get there and find little difference. I imagine this year will be the same.

regards
I just wait for the exchange rate to go up which it tends to do late May/early June and get some Lira then and then listen out to what the exchange rate is out there. If you get a good exchange rate then Turkey is very good value for money.

The only thing I have noticed that cost me more was my flight from Scotland as after the collapse of Globespan we have to to rely on the Tour Ops or Onur air as there isn't many airlines that do GLW DLM route so the prices are high.
greenshoes wrote:
The only thing I have noticed that cost me more was my flight from Scotland as after the collapse of Globespan we have to to rely on the Tour Ops or Onur air as there isn't many airlines that do GLW DLM route so the prices are high.

You're right on that score - flights from any of the Scottish airports to Dalaman are now very few and far between, and those which are available have shot up outrageously!
I hope Ryan air or Easy jet notice the massive gap in the market there is now for that route!!
hi

i cant give prices for other bars and resturants as i havent been out to any yet to see but i can give our prices for meals and drinks at club tokmak apart icmeler

drinks same as last year 4.50 tl large beer and 4.00 tl small
soft drinks 3 tl

steak dinner varies between 18 and 22 lira
chicken 12 - 15 tl

i dont know how these compare to the town but i am told by guests here now we are ch
I would just say... watch out for the buy 1 get 1 free cocktails... as when we were last there, these drinks were served in egg cups.. and it was for the same price as a larger glass... and was watered down... never again! :rage
pull them up on it. I find in most bars if you question them about it they don't don it again to you!
15yrs since last went , going to hisaronu in august and wondering what the prices are like in the supermarkets for general groceries and cider/wine as self catering. As the baggage allowance is only 15kilo and unsure what onur air are like for charging if overweight, we didn't know wether to buy toiletries such as shower gels, suncream, shampoo/conditioner there or if they sell the brands like we have at home ? Also i've heard that some people even buy their clothes there to save baggage as clothing is so cheap, thinking about kitting my 10&14yr olds out there! So any info on this would be great, thanks.

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Going to hisaronu in august, (self catering) 15yrs since been to turkey - just wondering what the general prices are like in the supermarkets for groceries, cider/wine, and toiletries such as suncreams, shower gels / shampoo & conditioner etc and do they sell the brands we have here in the uk? As baggage allowance is only 15kg didn't know wether to buy all of those there? Any advise on these will be very helpful.

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Hi Shelley
Havnt been on here for a while and spotted your post, no doubt others who have families will come back to you on this in regard to the younger end of your family.
We are knocking on a bit and just cater for our selves and havnt got a problem buying stuff in resort, allthough we are in Icmeler I should imagine the Hisaronuites are just as civilised. If you are not looking for top of the range yuppy toileteries you havnt got a problem. There is everything you need in their shops, all be it you might need help with your choice due to lableing of products. But I am sure that you will save money buying in resort than paying extra for carting the stuff out, half of which you will probably cart back with you or more than likely "leave for the maids". Personally I would go out with minimum and buy the lot out there.
Volcano permiting :tup we will be out there in the morning.
Best Regards
Peli
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.