Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
What cruise lines if any have any of the party cruised before?
What is the budget?
What are the target dates?
Have you checked whether there will be a problem getting travel insurance, since in-laws can't be spring chickens if it is 65th anniversary?
Seems not a problem with Saga...Both in-laws have cruised before although 25 years ago...Bit old now for flying hence trying cruise option.Is Saga too expensive would Fred Olsen be ok...Dates either around 23rd May or 2nd 3rd week in August...Father in law always wanted to visit Fjiords...my wife and i have been to Norway already so know sites to see.
We have booked to go to the Fjords for the 29th August. One weeks cruise from Southampton on P and O Oceana. Very good for my mobility probs as there are no tendered ports. Their website have insides from £702 with £15 onboard credit
I would not advise a couple of this age booking with an US Travel Agency. Should anything go wrong it would in my opinion not be the best option of sorting it out.
Despite everything that has been said I personally would not do so and there are good deals to be had with nearly every agent in the UK. I would recommend booking with an Agent in this Country who would pass on price reductions if they happen.
On my recent Celebrity cruise there was a couple who booked with Check-in cruise 365 and their agent called them when there were Guarantee prices released. They upgraded from a 2C balcony to a Conceirge room and with a refund of 500 sterling.
Scotland Cruise whom I use will also do this without any problem.

Price is not everything when it comes to it and what you want is a good Cruise Company who cater for the more mature guests. Namely not NCL Ventura RCCL. Cunard Celebrity etc with less children travelling. Also if you did choose others then try to avoid the school holiday and bear in mind that the Scottish schools finish earlier than English but they are back long before the English schools.
I did the Fjords some years ago and they are fantastic. Most cruises will call at Geiranger and this is a port where tenders are used. However this Port you can enjoy without disembarking as it is a tiny place. The cruise in to it is fantastic with the 7 Sisters waterfalls etc.

Good luck. Use a reputable TA a reputable Cruise Company and buy good insurance cover for them.

Sue
Thank you all for your replies and also windjammer for the pics..still hoping for a saga reply but perhaps their customers dont use holiday truths!
May be so as I have never seen anything related to SAGA. They may be a faithful who never look at any alternatives. I think they book well but for me it would be a definite no. Caronia which was with Cunard is now called the Saga Ruby. She was a nice little ship but without the amenities of a newer ship. No theatre lounge used for shows. Flat and with a lot of pillars. They had a little Italian restaurant but it was up a spiral staircase and even for the well able bodied was not the easiest of places to access.
The main restaurant was one sitting and you could dine at your table between certain times. 7-9pm I think. II was at the Chief Pursers table and he always dined with us on all formal nights and came to table at 8pm.
I am certain you will find the right cruise it just needs the ground work doing and then you can make an informed choice.

Sue
One point : not as many trips go into the best Fjords as I thought,
Do check itineraries carefully and which route they take.

Saga obviously cater to a large niche market(over 55)

I hear good things from those that have used them for cruises.
They seem to sell well and last time I looked(years ago) they did not seem to discount much

A quick bit of research
http://www.saga.co.uk/travel/Cruises3/PriceIncludes.asp

They include tips and UK transport(250m limit) and travel insurance which you need to factor into the pricing comparisons, these can add up.

Looking at the Saga Norway options.
23may the spellbinding norway 7n on the Ruby.
http://www.saga.co.uk/travel/cruises3/critinerary.asp?itineraryID=C6E75028-9E2A-46C5-388024A8155E6960&sel=1

This has a current on-line price of around £1100pp
a longer 15 Night arctic adventure starts at £2300pp.

Celebrity don't have a suitible itinerary in 2009,(unless you want to get to Amsterdam)

Cunard have(Travel agent discount should be possible onthese price estimates)
Victoria(20may £1000+pp) and
http://book.cunard.co.uk/find/pb/cruiseDetailsItinerary.do?ship=&subTrade=ESB&date=&duration=&orderBy=&pageOffset=1&voyageCode=V906

QM2(6 june £900+pp)
http://book.cunard.co.uk/find/pb/cruiseDetailsItinerary.do?ship=&subTrade=ESB&date=&duration=&orderBy=&pageOffset=1&voyageCode=M913

Thomson have the Spirit sailing out of Newcastle doing norway trips eg.
http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/cruise/viewItineraryDetails.do?shipCode=150000&cruiseAreaId=Any&itineraryId=18383&departureDate=13/6/2009

This is around £1200pp.

One thing you don't mention is how mobile they are one factor with the modern ships is they tend to be a lot larger so there is a lot more walking about but do have te benifit of a lot of extra features.

Also what sort of budget do you have this could exclude some options, or give some that you may not have thought of.

One factor with the Fjords is that a great part of the experience is visual so having an aft(best) or forward facing balacony can be worth paying extra for.

We did the NCL Jade north cape this year as a special trip so splashed out on suites
My parents came with us(70's) and they loved the freestyle and perks of the Suites(private dinning, butlers, so as a one off this may be an option if the budget stretches.
If the idea of a more traditional cruise is preferable then NCL may not be for you.

NCL is off-line at the moment so I cant get the current prices.

There are a lot of options so if you narrow it down and need any more help choosing something I am sure you will get advice. Those Saga prices will buy you a lot of cruise.
Thanks for info still hoping for a saga reply..mum in law has difficulty walking and although as you see we are all in sagas niche market(we are 55 and 56) cannot find out what the facilities for the infirm are on the saga ruby....please saga people reply...dont want to trust the company itself.
clarkaj6 wrote:
Seems not a problem with Saga...Both in-laws have cruised before although 25 years ago...Bit old now for flying hence trying cruise option.Is Saga too expensive would Fred Olsen be ok...Dates either around 23rd May or 2nd 3rd week in August...Father in law always wanted to visit Fjiords...my wife and i have been to Norway already so know sites to see.

If you want to really treat them, why not look at Cunard. Many people consider that only "those and such as those" can afford to cruise with them. This is far from true, and normal people like ourselves have cruised with Cunard. The Queen Victoria sails on 20th May from Southampton to the Fjords for 7 nights. This is available on http://www.iglucruises.com from £629 inside cabin.

The Queen Mary 2 sails on 5th August from Southampton to the Fjords, with a stop in Germany each way, for 12 nights. Available on http://www.jetlinecruise.com from £1205 inside cabin and £1637 balcony cabin.

We are normal working people and have sailed twice on the QM2, a truly majestic and genuinely 5 star experience. Friends of ours have sailed on both QM2 and the new Queen Victoria. Of the two ships, they prefer the QM2 but said the Queen Victoria was superb.

Cannot recall Saga ever being mentioned or discussed on Holiday Truths.
I agree absolutely with Graham. The QM2 is a fantastic Ship. Built as a liner for T/A crossing she is large but once you realise that the carpet is different in front aft and Mid ship it is easy. I have sailed on her on T/A and also to the Caribbean. I am a fairly frequent cruiser and my next cruise will almost certainly be on the QM or the QV. In Australia at the moment so don't when the next cruise will be abut in the not too distant future.

Sue
For clarkaj6

We have recently seen your comments in relation to the facilities provided on board Saga Ruby for those customers who may have difficulties walking. As a company established to cater for the needs of the over 50s, we frequently receive requests for holidays where assistance can be provided. As a result of our client base, we have many facilities on board to aid in particular situations and, providing full details have been provided to our Customer Care Team at the point any holiday is booked, we can ensure that our crew and resort representatives have made sufficient preparations to ensure that the customer has an enjoyable time. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Team on 0800 373 034 with your booking reference to hand.

Saga Holidays Ltd.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.