Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
GBP are accepted (only English notes), Euros are accepted we used £10and £20 notes, we also took €20 and €50 notes that we had left from a trip to Europe all the notes have to be in good condition not ripped or marked, we avioided £50 and €100 notes as a lot of places in the UK and Europe won't accept them, it's also better to change your money as you need it so you don't have to change much if any back from CUC's to GBP when leaving Cuba
Barclaycard and Egg card are accepted, there was a rumour that Egg was going to be taken over by a US bank this hasn't happened yet if it does Egg will no longer be accepted. We didn't take travellers cheques we took cash and credit cards, didn't use the credit cards only took them as back up, using a credit card is slightly more expensive than cash
  • Edited by Garin 2006-08-04 18:27:36
good info. particularly for us as we travel to cuba next tuesday. :wave
Yes, a BIG 'thank you' to Steve for his help in creating this Cuba currency sticky :kiss

Pippy :D
strong advice is dont take the risk either take sterling TC or cash. new clean unmarked £10 or £20 notes are only excepted. as you all know anything connected to a US bank is not accepted so that includes any cards issued by MBNA, Amex etc...I have heard that Natwest visa is ok...but not 100%
Using my credit card last week at the Paradisus Rio de Oro for spa treatments actually worked out cheaper than if I had used cash by about £1.24 on just under £100. I used a Lloyds TSB Advance Mastercard
Was able to use my natwest visa and mastercard in cuba, i found it odd that the currency was converted into usa dollars then into £'s but we got a better rate that way so it worked out better. we changed up 200cuc which converted back to £125 and we upgraded hotels and it worked out which was £617 and we again used our credit card and it was converted in $1007 which gave us 900cuc then came through on our card as £540 which was a much better saving than we anticipated. we also took £300 cash didnt get such a good rate at the hotels, banks were a bit better, £20 worked out to be 31cuc at hotels or 38cuc at banks. Hope that helps anyone. try to spend any leftover cuc as the airport banks give a really bad buy back rate!
Hi

Im off to cuba in 4 weeks can anyone confirm if i could use my hsbc switch card out there?

or shall i just take cash but worried about taking alot of cash?

im stayin in playa pasq all inclusive for 2 weeks and not sure how much i should take??

thanks in advance
Hi emmas,

we were in cuba in august this year and stayed at the playa pesquero.

your debit card will work o.k. but there wont be many opportunities to use it, if you decide to go on any excursions then the rep . would accept it for payment no probs.

however as the p.p. is 24 hr all inclusive you certainly wont need much to spend.

we found that the most of our cash that we took went on tips, mind you this was willingly as we were so impressed by the level of service that everyone gave you.

mind you none of them expect a tip, but like us all they were very grateful particularly as they are not very well off.

they tipically earn around 250 pesos a month and 1 peso is the equivelant of .60 pence.

we gave the maid looking after our room 10 pesos each week and the bar staff 1 pesso when getting a drink, and the restaurant staff 2 -3 .

another good tip is to take the drinks from your room mini bar and give them to the gardners and beach guards, they will be very grateful.
your mini bar will be replenished daily so dont worry to much.

however amount of money that you decide to take with you will be safe as the rooms all have a personal safety deposit box.

the p.p. is an amazing place get ready to have the time of your lives.

if you would like any further info re anything get back to me via p.m.

enjoy.

Eifion.
Can anyone help me when it comes to taking currency etc. into the country? Weve heard you cant take money in so we were going to get a post office card which you save money on and use over there, has anyone used these??
You will have no problems taking cash into Cuba - we didn't when we went in April this year. Travellers cheques can be a problem to change though so I wouldn't be surprised if those post office cards aren't accepted over there. It's also not advisable to rely on your credit/debit cards as American backed ones aren't accepted and there aren't many cashpoints.
Can someone confirm if there are cash machines out there?

I dont understand why using your credit card woudl incurr a 10% charge on?!
There are cash machines in the cities which quite often do not work. The reason why you get charged a 10% fee for using cards is that all transactions are converted to US Dollars before being charged to your credit card. I have found that it works out about the same once the conversion is done though.

I would still recommend that you take cash, I have been 8 times and have had no problems so long as your notes are relatively new and clean.
Thats a lot of cash to be carrying though. We want to do the Havanna trip, dolphins, driving the speedboat and perhaps more. Do the reps do the conversion to Dollars as well?
No the reps prices are in CUC (Cuban Convertible Pesos)

If you are staying in a hotel you will have an in room safe, we usually take around £1000 and have never had any problem, nor have we ever spent that amount of money but like to have it just in case!
The reason why cash machines in the cities often don't work is that they aren't operated by a bank but a one of the local credit unions and their ATMs will only accept cards belonging to members of that CU. Credit y Comercio is a bank as we know it and their ATMs will usually accept cards that are from banks/credit card comapnies with no US connections. And the Cadecas will uusally process card transactions over the counter too. So before going you need to to check with your own issuer as to whether their cards will be accepted in Cuba either by bank ATMs or sellers etc.

I have an HBOS card that has always been accepted for purchase of goods by those 'sellers' who will accept cards which is far more limited than in most holiday destinations - Cuba is esentially a cash economy. I've never had need to try and draw cash agains either a debit or credit card because I've always taken sterling cash (but Bank of England notes not Scottish ones which can be a bit of hassle for those of us living in Scotland!) topped up with sterling travellers cheques (Thomas Cook or Travellex but not American Express) for use in emergencies. You can't rely solely on your plastic for drawing cash/paying bills in an emergency. The travellers cheques usually come back unchanged and are then put to one side for the next trip. It's worth noting however that you need to be careful with your signature - even slight variations will mean that the banks will refuse them and you do need to produce your passport as proof of indentity when changing them.

SM
does anyone know whether i will be able to use a HSBC bank card in Cuba? It is a Mastercard and will only be used to pay for trips etc, but having phoned the bank i didn't get any sense- was just wondering whether anyone else had used one?
You need to know whether HSBC is owned, part-owned or has ANY connections with any US bank, because if the answer to any of these questions is yes, then your card will NOT be accepted in Cuba.

ATB,J.
this is what i tried to ask the bank- i had someone from the callcentres that you go through to and who found it highly amusing that i was even asking the question (?) - needless to say i was unimpressed! :x i think maybe a visit to the bnank is in order- thanks for you reply! :thanks
I can save you the bother, a quick trip to HSBC via google reveals that the bank has a STRONG association with the US, so your card will NOT be accepted...

ATB,J.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.