Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Justval,

It depends on the sort of diving you want to do, but Cuba isn't the best place in the Caribbean to sink beneath the waves. There's some interesting wreck diving around Varadero (quite deep though, 25-35m) and the Bay of Pigs on the South coast is ok, but nothing exciting. The reefs around Guardalavaca aren't in good condition. There's plenty of the usual small tropical fishes to see, but it's nothing inspirational. Sea state can prevent diving on the north coast with the Atlantic swells stopping boats going out, that's why we went to the south and the Bay of Pigs from Varadero (about 2 hours drive away). If you aren't too fussed about the diving, Cuba is an excellent place to visit from a culutral perspective. If you want to visit Havana, then Varadero is probably the place to look at first. If you aren't bothered about that, Guardalavaca (Holguin) is more 'real' Cuba. There's plenty of hotels to suit your budget. If you can strech your budget a little and stay at the Paradisus Rio De Oro in Guardalavaca, diving is included. It's a fabulous 5 star hotel and regarded as one of, it not the best in Cuba (that's where I stayed, there's loads of information on here). I'd say it's in my top two list of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. Just a shame the diving isn't a little better. The snorkelling can be good though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/Scuba2/P9150167.jpg
Part 1 - The reef & walls of Playa Esmarelda, Guardalvaca (click to play)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/Scuba2/P9150171.jpg
Part 2 - The reef & walls of Playa Esmarelda, Guardalvaca (click to play)

Darren
Hi, we're also considering Cuba possible for next year, and again looking at the diving side of thing for hubby. Have heard that diving is good around Isle of Youth, but still searching for more information, but don't believe you'd get an AI deal there and apart from diving I think very little else to do. Unless anyone has other information to the contrary.
scoya,

The south tends to be better diving wise than the north because the southern coast doesn't get battered by the Atlantic storms. The reefs are in slightly better conditions but then over-fishing limits what you encounter. It's 'plain' compared to many of the other Caribbean Islands. The Gulf side of the island may be better, I never got that far! If you're going to Cuba just for the diving, you might be a little dissapointed. If it's just for a couple of days with the rest of the time spent exploring the island itself, it's a great holiday destination.

Darren
Thanks darren. Rob is into wreck diving wheras i like reefs.Something to look at for us xx
Thanks for the advice Darren, I don't dive and therefore the holiday isn't just about diving, however, don't think I want to be in the hubub on an AI, hence considering Isle of Youth, with the obvious mix of Havana. Will keep looking, and thanks again. Scoya.
Spooky Lyn
I am looling at the Sol Rio de Luna and Maresfor next year - what was the diving like and how much?
One day we will bump into each other !!!
Lynne
Hi Lynne .

I'll reply to your pm as well but just to answer here diving is available on the beach with "Sea lovers " they do a first dive at 9am and then another around 11- 11.30 .No need to even book . You just turn up in the morning if you want to go out . All very relaxed .None of the dive sites are too far off shore and they jump in a boat which you can usually still see anchored up in the distance if your eyesight is good .The first dive is the deeper one 30-35 metres and the 2nd is always shallower. The first day they all did the 2 dives but they found the 2nd dive much busier (but we are still only talking small numbers here ) and 2 within such a short space of time was pushing it for Dave and our youngest so after that they just continued with the early morning one and were back by 11. George at 14 can only go to 21 metres so they all stuck as a group with a guide at a higher depth which was fine .

How much diving has your daughter done now .?? what I will say is there is no such thing as Padi in Cuba and dave was quite shocked that no proof of qualifications or experience was asked for so it's all down to you really not to go below the depth you are qualified to go to in terms of your own safety and insurance etc goes. the sea can also be surprising rough and a couple of Dives they found rather challenging on resurfacing in the strong current . Our 2nd week the sea was much calmer and they had some lovely dives . Not as colourful as the Red sea but still very good . big fish , grouper , barracuda etc.

Reasonably cheap too and Equipment hire is included if you dont have it . Have a look here http://spagnolo.ca/ there are no prices i dont think on sea lovers but the prices for Blue wave are the same .it gets cheaper the more you do and it's around 1.35 CUC to the £

It's a lovely hotel Lynne and excellent value . I've put 1 photo on the new media section so far as a tester . Hopefully the rest will follow later and Ill get my review done over the weekend.

You never know we may go back next year and then you will need a big hat to hide from us :rofl

lyn
Hi
She is quite experinced now . Did 4 dives this year and is comfortable to around 20 m - probably more but hasn't been allowed yet
BTW it would be you who needed the hat :rofl
I've included a few pictures of the lads coming back from their diving in those i've just uploaded into the gallery lynne . No underwater ones as my head and camera stays firmly above the surface but will give you an idea of what to expect from the boat / beach .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.