Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Cubana Airlines
12 Posts
patch64,

Cubana normally operate flights from/to Cuba. Aerogaviota operate most of the internal flights using modern ATR-42's. Cubana do operate some flights though using older Russian aircraft. Without knowing your flight itinery / plans, its difficult so say any more.

Darren
Aerogaviota? Must admit never heard of them but that is good news if this is the case. As would be booking an excursion when I got there will be impossible for me to find flight details. Thanks Daz.
patch64,

I thought you were thinking of booking an internal flight yourself. If you're going on a planned excursion, they normally make a point that they don't use older Russian aircraft. It'll definately be an Aerogaviota ATR-42-500 in that case. I wasn't at home when I posted last night, here's a photo of one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/Aerogaviota-ATR42.jpg
Click on photo for a video

Darren
Sorry should have made things clearer. Thanks for the pic. Looks similar to a Dash 8.
Sadly I am a nervous flyer and have read reports that their safety record is not the best and they use old Russian built planes, again they don't have the best safety record.

But statistically, you'll still be at greater risk of being killed in the car on your way to and from the airport here in the UK. I've used Cubana for getting to and from Cuba and taken a number of scheduled internal flights once there (with Cubana, Aerogaviota and Air Carib?) and whilst the cabin crew have a fairly idiosyncratic approach to customer service I've never felt unsafe. Do not be alarmed by the tradition amongst Cuban passengers to clap and applaud after safe take-offs and landings!

SM
Haha. I have flown many charter flights to the Spanish Costas so well used to applause on landing. I know my fears are generally irrational and am well aware of the statistics. I tend not to let my fear of flying stop me getting where i want to go. I flew all the way to Sydney from the UK on my own once. Thanks for the info from everyone.
We did the overnighter in Havana and flew in these amazing old planes. They are old and knackered but they work no problem and get you to where you want to go.
Enjoy, just don't eat much before you fly.....
Njoy the Cayos :smile:
Well I just got back from Cuba and the internal flight was indeed on a ATR as Dazbo suggested. In fact was an ATR72 with Aerocaribbean. First Choice told me when I was there that on Foreign Office advice all UK tour operators use more modern aircraft and not the old Cubana russian aircraft that I was worried about
Hi, is there anybody out there with recent experience of flying out of Gatwick with Cubana to Cuba and know how strict they are re enforcing the luggage allowance limits?

Even though Cubana have a very generous baggage allowance - 30kgs checked in and 8kgs handbaggage - I'm still going to be over the limit! This is because I work in education and some colleagues who are retiring have given me loads of excellent books for teachers I have contacts with over there and I would love to get them out there to them. I know that ecess weight on internal flights is only 1 CUC per kg but doubt that I'll get away with it being so little at Gatwick if they choose not to be lenient.

SM
Hi,

We've been given a great deal to Cuba but it involves flying with cubana. I have been trying to find out about them and came across a site which included very poor reviews including 2 incidents earlier this year with safety concerns. I am just wondering
a) if anyone has flown with them quite recently
b) where I can go to find out more information about them as even their own website doesn't include a lot of information.
c) do they still use/fly really old planes? Flight is going out of Gatwick on August 18th

Any help/feedback would be appreciated

Many thanks
  • Edited by David 2010-07-26 13:05:33
    Merged with Cubana Q&As topic
I've just returned from Cuba with Cubana and I have no worries using them. I don't know what you'd class as old - there's a lot of 20+ yr old planes up the air owned by many companies. The planes they use on their transatlantic routes seem as reliable and of comparable age to any others I've flown to Cuba with. To be honest my worst experience was with Virgin. And my best with regards to comfort was the return leg of this years trip which was in a Tupelev that seemed to be brand spanking new. Best economy legroom I've ever had, an airy cabin due to the fact that there were no overhead lockers down the centre of the plane. Though it was vital to listen to the safety announcements because of course as a result your airmasks would appear from somehere else.

The downsides of Cubana are:

1) The cabin crew have a somewhat laid back approach to customer service but the way to get the best out of them is to make any request in a form that makes live easier for them. For example 'If you just left me the 2 ltr bottle of water/ that 6 pack of beer then I won't need to disturb you later will I?' will get you what you want.

2) There's no seat back IFE - I've only ever had dropdown screens but then if you're not into Cuban music videos or Cuban tourism promos your not going to be doing much watching anyway. Don't expect any recent films that you'll have heard of.

3) The food isn't up to much and you'll generally get something tastier if you order the veggie option. the children's meals also seem to be better than those aimed at the adults but then the Cubans are much more child-friendly all round. :D

The pros are that:

1) Their flights are rarely full so as long as you are sat in your allocated seat for take-off and landing they don't mind you moving around the cabin and stretching out on any spare seats.

2) The only duty free on offer is rum and cigars so none of that hard sell - and no exhortations to buy scratch cards etc and therefore, very minimal disturbance which is a god-send on the overnight return flights.

3) On overnight flights you'll find a pillow and blanket on your seat as you board and there are always plenty available on request on daytime flights - unlike the Thomas Cook flight which didn't have enough on the one overnight flight I've done with them.

4) If you are prepared to take the chance, it's often possible to upgrade to 1st Class at check-in for something in the region of £100 one way - has to be the only way I'm ever going to be able to afford to fly right up at the front of the plane!

To be honest, compared to Virgin and Thomas Cook (I haven't flown First Choice to Cuba but others speak highly of their service) and if you are not planning to upgrade to premium than I prefer Cubana. You only ever get what you pay for but I think that compared to what I got for £800 on Virgin last year, Cubana this year was tremendous value for money for £400!

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.