Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Currency
11 Posts
We usually take some bahts and sterling travellers cheques, how much you need depends on what sort of trips or shopping you will be doing whilst you are there, for eating & drinking you will not need much at all.
we also used credit cards when we could- most restaurants will take them.
We usually take sterling travellers, plenty of banks around to get them changed - though we usually change some at the airport on arrival. Theres also plenty of ATM's to be found should you wish to use this method. Never bother geting Baht in UK as the exchange rate is not in our favour.
forgot about the baht rate in the UK Sunbear. Yes, there is a big difference.
Be careful using credit cards. People not sure if its hotel, restaurants or duty free where there is a problem. If you do use one don't let it out of sight and don't let hotel check in take imprint as deposit.
I have been told that you get a better exchange rate in thailand for usa dollars, is it worth buying some of them now to take with me (with the exchange rate for the usa dollare being so good)

Ta
Hi dawnie,

I take it that it was your Bank or Travel Agent who told you this.

If you take USD you will get hit for two exchange rate losses - 1st from Sterling to USD, then from USD to baht. Sterling is easy to change - as are Sterling TCs and debit cards in ATMs.

See previous posts for hints regarding best way to take your money (I usually take cash and a Nationwide Flex card - others prefer TCs).

You can exchange at the airport on arrival and ATMs are everywhere. Don't exchange at hotels - lousy rates.

Enjoy Thailand

Peter
Dawnie - you're far better off with GBP than USD mainly for the reason above from PeteB, but also because the USD is up & down like a yoyo against the baht and over the past month or two rates have varied quite a bit from day to day.
I was wondering which mix of money and travellers cheques is best to take. Also where is it best to change money in Pattaya.
thought this might be a useful thread for you Lou :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.