Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Me.
Decide to go to Cyprus next year so booked two weeks half board, 2 adults and 1 child. Just out of curiosity, I priced a hotel on the Dom Rep AI that we stayed in before we had Tom, and it came in at just over £30 more!
Mmmm, wonder which one would have worked out the cheaper in the long run taking spending money into consideration. :?
MORE EXPENSIVE???

Don't think so, guess it depends on where you have been eating and drinking, I live here on a very small pension and manage very well, certainly could not afford the high prices back in the YUKE..and as for Barbados don't make me laugh, where can you eat and drink for a tenner CY? get a pint of beer for £1.40cyp? buy a gallon of fuel for your hire car for a third less than the UK..I could go on but then again I cant comment on Barbados, and really I don't wish to...this site is about Cyprus.. :roll:
Hi Jim,
We were comparing the price of holidays, not the cost of living, calm down.

I will be visiting Cyprus next year for the first time, but could have got an all inclusive for the same price to the carribean. That is what we were on about!

Is cyprus a lot like Greece?
Afternoon from a hot sweaty Pafos..calm down? what me..any calmer and I will fall off my deck chair 8)

Yes I can see what you are talking about but this is a Cyprus forum and those prices I have given are those you will pay whilst on Holiday here...nothing to do with living here, I can find even cheaper places to eat & drink!, but you have to make that effort many who holiday here find it tough to walk to the beach.. :D and who could blame them in this heat!!

On your point of Cyprus being like Greece? well only a little lots of cultural and other differences, we even drive on the left here..well the Brits do ..

take care..I am off for a swim..
  • Edited by jimbox 2006-06-27 03:58:58
Talking of how expensive it has gone, I have to say that I did a 15 night Caribbean cruise Full Board in March and it was only a couple of hundred pounds more than the Cyprus holiday!

Kath HT Admin
Are you including flights in your costs calculations? I've found that accomodation is staying the same, but flights are more expensive now.

In terms of eating out, if you take the opportunity to eat away from the tourist places, you can eat well, and not damage your wallet!! Even within the tourist centres there are good value meals to be had.

Mike
Yes it's a package holiday. However, I have costed as a DIY with seperate flights and accommodation, and thats even more expensive.

Kath HT Admin
I was talking about package holidays,but also checked diy to a hotel and it was more than a package,seem to have read somewhere this was a concern of the Cyprus Tourist Board as well. This is only on the holidays I have checked for myself and my wife.
Hi all
as i can only go during school hols, i find it very expensive £2500 SC at the marlita beach in august 2A + 2C, whereas if i were to go during school time possibly £1800.
eating & drinking i have to agree with jim, try going out to the less touristy places better food & cheaper drink :glynis
Gazz
Hi,

I agree Cyprus is getting to be an expensive holiday. It certainly pays to go All Inclusive when you have a couple of kids with you. You would be looking at cashing about £150 pd if you were Self Catering family of 4.

Jim above. We realise that it is a low cost of living compared to the UK. The annuel Cypriot wage is also a lot lower than the UK wage though.
The cost of living is different to going on holiday. When you are away you expect to spend. It is definitely a rawer deal than Spain for your money. If you are used to getting more not less for your pound.
To be honest the Cypriots made the same mistake in the early 90s by raising their prices so much that it was actually cheaper to go to Florida for 2 weeks (obviously not including the passes!). I think they basically wanted to price out the fledgling lager lout market in Cyprus in favour of the middle class spenders. It backfired big time from what I remember as it priced out the average family . I know we didn't go for 6 years between 92-98 and other families we knew just were not prepared to pay the prices for Cyprus when, as I just said , you could go to the States for the same price or less(as we did 4 time during this period). The Cyprus hoteliers just became too GREEDY!
i think i remember reading a letter from a cypriot hotel owner to the cyprus mail complaining about the high airport landing fee s at larnaca which made it impossible for holiday companys to keep prices down he was asking the cypriot government to help lower these hopefully the knock on effect would increse tourism
Well I for 1 do not want cheap flights introduced. That is one of the main reasons I booked Cyprus. Less chance of meeting any stag and hens!!
I found this years holiday just too much, they were all over! So IMO, I really don't mind paying extra, after all, for us people who can only have one main holiday a year, it's what we save up for!
Post edited for copyright reasons, as material from other websites may not be reproduced without permission. You may post a link to the relevant web page instead if you wish.
David HT Mod
Well I for one do not want cheap flights introduced

That's a little selfish Cazz, what about all the ex pats who have holiday property or otherwise over there :?: Cheaper flights would be a God send for all of us thanks very much :roll:

Groups of single sex people regardless of whether they're on a stag or hen trips go to all parts of Cyprus to enjoy the island like everyone else. I'm off there myself to celebrate a BIG birthday in September and there are 16 of us :!: We intend to have a great time 8) We're staying at my Villa but we had to pay an awful lot for our flights so a cheap airline would have been gratefully received now and in the furture
OOPS ! sorry
here s a link to the article
http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/
I would say that Cyprus given it's distance from the UK is good value, if you take into account the average return flight from Heathrow to Larnaca is 4218 miles, based on what we paid for 3 flights for this October with BA £486 that works out at 11.52p per mile when you think the average small family car cost 34p per mile to run that's two thirds more than flying.
Also most would say that a travel lodge type hotel at £42 per room per night was good value, breakfast not included. In Cyprus a 3/4 star hotel will cost £50 to £55 per room per night and that includes breakfast, a pool, the weather, entertainment, and the most important thing the Cypriot people.

Maurice
Sorry miss chief 1, that is my opinion and I stand by it.
The past experiences my family and I have had with gangs of girls and guys have been memorable for all the wrong reasons, rude, foul language infront of children, shouting of who did what to who last nite across balconies and pools, etc and I think if cheap flights were introduced it would open the floodgates for those wanting a cheap do!.

Lets have a heated debate.
we were due to go to Cyprus at the end of Sept but with the flight prices i am sorry to say made the whole idea uneconomical.. even with cheap accommodation , with the price of flights it was and is cheaper for us to go to Greece we could even had got half board 4 Star IN SPAIN FOR THE SAME MONEY.... dont get me wrong we love Cyprus and would like to retire there day to day living is cheap compared to the uk but for holidays i am afraid with other places i have yet seen at far better prices i will give Cyprus a miss till the air fairs are on per with the rest of the med

Brian
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.