Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Got back last night from Limassol.Pint of lager and local vodka and coke was between 6 euros and 7 and half euros.3 course meal about 15 euros each not including drinks. 200cigs about 32 euros ,250 grams golden virginia 21 euros any other questions please ask.
BPSPMC
Presumably bpspmc meal for EUR 15 was nice ?
In a nutshell yes it's expensive but not as bad as I thought it would be IIRC things were actually more expensive in Salou than here.

I would not self cater here though as the supermarket stuff is more expensive than the restaurants.
Actually we were there 4 of us in July and i thought it was quite reasonable and came back with £500 :tongue A pint of beer in Pernera where we stayed was 2.00 euro about £1.75p and even though we were half board and the food was good, we ate out a fair bit. I would say it was on par with the UK, but there were plenty of food deals in the area, all wanting your money. I mostly got doubles or bogof offers on spirits..... guiness was a little dearer but cheaper than the UK. We were very surprised actually, all the food and drink was good quality.
hi,

thankyou for all your replies, i will have a think about it.

abby
been to cyprus half a dozen times,never found it too expensive but not been for three years. went to the pernera beach hotel in sept 07 and prices werent bad then. going to the platomare apartments in october so hoping prices havent gone up too much cause we have just booked for the kefalonitis apts in paphos for sept next year.
Cyprus LOOKS expensive, but in reality it is Sterling being s**t against the Euro that is the problem.

When Cyprus went over to the Euro it was €1 to CY£1.70 - €1 to £1.30, there or thereabouts.

Now that Sterling is around €1.20 holidaying anywhere in the Euro-zone will seem expensive.
I'm with edwardes.m on this.

Yes, prices have gone up in some places but most things are still around the same price. For instance, we took a friend of ours to a favourite Lebanese restaurant at the back end of 2007. Their meze was 11.95 Cy Pounds pp - now, it's around 20,00 euros per person. It's still the same price as it was then but it sounds a lot, especially when a little over 12 months ago the exchange rate was almost 1 GBP to 1 Euro.

When it gets to like for like - a lot of expats start to think about bailing out and quite a number have packed up and gone back to the UK. Mostly those who were reliant on income from their UK pensions.

If you want somewhere in the Med that's cheap to eat and drink, try Malta. Less flying time, similar kind of feel to it as Cyprus, friendly people and you will get more for your money. However, it won't be Cyprus :think

CwB
It certainly isnt cyprus100, i hated Malta :( Give me Cyprus any day :cheers
We got back last month - Generally found a meal for 2 with drinks to be about the 50 Euro mark, cheaper than the Algarve where it averaged about 70 Euros last year. I was pleasantly surprised how reasonable it was, but the strength of the Euro is killing tourism for the Cypriots.
Going by BPSPMC's prices for food and drink, it seems cheaper than Olu Deniz in Turkey where we've just returned from- I'd never have thought Cyprus would be cheaper than turkey :think
BPSPMCs prices are about right, but he/she smokes expensive ciggies ;)
Just got back...:-(

Beer prices in many many places around €2 for a pint of keo, many places with happy hours and special deals.

Self catering when shopping around can be cheap enough if you buy carefully. Extra Virgin olive oil in the main supermarkets can be dirt cheap or through the roof depending on which you buy (and the cheap stuff is excellent anyway !) If however you want to but something like Hnz Beans then you will be paying in the region of €1.50 to €2 for a normal sized tin. Bread if you buy the fresh local stuff is reasonable but other more exotic and like you get back home is more expensive. Eat like locals and its much cheaper than trying to emulate being at home !

Eating out can be an all you can eat buffet (chinese) for €10, a pizza (at a franchise) for something like €6 on certain days with deals on drink/fries etc, you can get Koupes (Fabulous Cypriot fried snacks) from most bakeries (during August when more Cypriots are about, as most tourists haven't discovered this wonderful snack yet) for a couple of euros. Then you can go out to more expensive restaurants with nice bottles of wines etc and spend upto anything you want !

Steve
thankyou all for your replies, it us much appreciated.

abby
We generally find that Cyprus is about 5% more expensive than Greek Islands but Cyprus is about 10% CHEAPER than Ibiza/Majorca. THis is based on the total amounts spent on holidays in the last 3 years. (2 Cyprus, 3 greece, 2 Ibiza, 1 Majorca)

For example, 2 sunbeds and brolly on beach (Cyprus €7, Zante €6, Port Des Torrent €14)
Beers - Draft not much different anywhere but Ayia Napa is expensive for imported bottles
COcktails - Cheap in Greek Islands, reasonable in Cyrpus - Ibiza €10+

It really does depend on what you spend your money on whilst away. ??
just got back from protaras, two weeks self catering and spent 1440 euros thats for two people
It depend how you spend your money. We've just come back from two weeks in Cyprus. We (2 adults) took 1200 euro and still came back with some money. We did not scrimp, just selective where we drank etc. We had an evening meal every night with wine, didn't use set menus eat what we fancied. We found local beers at 2 euro a pint. Coctails 2.90 euro even found Guiness at 1.75 euro. We had 2 sunbed and a brolly every day at 7.50 euro.
We're just back from 2 weeks in Paphos and were pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the prices out and about were. Plenty of restaurants, selling freshly prepared meals at very reasonable prices. Had a young child with us so really didn't drink to much alcohol but the odd pint and glass of wine with our meals was not expensive either.
thankyou all for your replies, cyprus it is then.

thanks again

abby
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.