Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
We picked up a VERY cheap Accommodation Only deal at the Louis King Jason about 2 winters ago. We live in Cyprus and were looking for a couple of nights in Paphos (we are in Limassol) to visit my sister in law.
I picked up 2 nights at £1 per room per night - booking directly through the Thomson website. The do still have offers on at that unit but I've not seen anything as cheap as that.
We booked a 1 bedroom apartment which could sleep 4 people. The room was spacious and clean. If I recall correctly none of the rooms were more than 2 storeys high and had stairs up to the apartments (no lifts).
As it was winter, the central heating was on in the rooms via a centrally controlled system.
It's in a good location within easy walk to the top end of Bar Street (close to Alexanders Bar) although you do have to cross the new bypass road to get to it.
The Sofianna Hotel is in quite a good location too and that has hotel rooms and apartments although it's not the same standard as the L King Jason.

CwB
We just returned from the King Jason Apts. having spent 2 weeks there on our first holiday in Cyprus.

The rooms are spacious and the air conditioning is superb. Staff are excellent and the pool is quite large and clean. Maid service is also very good with fresh sheets and towels every few days.

Few down points:

There are quite a few cats (understatement)! and the smell of cat wee is going to be a reminder of Cyprus for the rest of my life!

The food in the hotel is excellent BUT it can be offputting to see so many flies also helping themselves to the salad (I didn't notice any fly killer gadgets in the restaurant area).

The location (in a residential area) is pretty woeful; you have to cross a very busy 4 lane dual carriageway to make your way down into the livelier parts of Kato Paphos.

There is an excellent bar area to chill out but the only entertainment in the evening seems to be a tape playing of a guitar soloist!

If you are with children and like early nights or if you want to just base yourself close to Paphos then great. However, I saw much better apartments situated elsewhere.

Would we return? If these apartments were in our beloved Minorca then yes but our first trip to Cyprus will definately be our last.
Sorry just to pick up on your point of costs.

Our main dissatisfaction with Cyprus was basically cost. We aren't tight nor penny pinchers but it really does seem that Cyprus is taking advantage of it's recent entry into the Euro Exchange Rate.

We are not oblivious to the costs of tourist areas and we are always willing to spend well IF the quality is good. Unfortunately, Cyprus seems to be offering 'light ale service for champagne money'.

Basing the Euro on 80p (approx) sterling, here are some comparisons:

Pint of local beer (KEO) - ranged from 3.5 - 6 Euros
Steak main course (frozen not fresh) - around 22 - 25 Euros
Large coke (pint) - ranged from 4 - 6 Euros
20 Cigs - around 4 - 5 Euros
loaf of bread - 2 - 3 Euros
Small pkt of processed ham - 4 - 5 Euros

We are more than used to paying high restaurant prices in Minorca but there you get QUALITY. Some meals in Cyprus were, to be blunt, disgusting.

As for the taxi prices. Well these start at 12 Euros for a couple of kilometres but you can normally bait the driver down to around 8 Euros. Taxis do not have meters and prices are not regulated..................then again, this could be said about Cyprus overall!

Just a further point - female shop assistants and waitresses really are doing you a favour by being there so don't expect them to smile or say thank you!
Canvey Islander, welcome to the forums :wave
We have a topic running HERE regarding costs in Cyprus.

Would be grateful if you clould please continue any further discussion there, so that this one does not go off topic.

Thanks

Kath x
Another thing I should point out regarding the smell of cats....

There is a particular plant often used in Cyprus (sorry, I don't know what it's called) but it does smell like cat pee.

It's a fern / frondy type plant or weed and is, of course - green :rofl and doesn't flower. But I can't tell you more than that...

CwB
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.