Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
GM,

I'm speechless! 5 years ago there was a CONSIDERABLE amount of beach area in front of that area. How much of this is caused by the irregular tide due to that eyesore tanker?

And the Goan 'government' just sit back and and do next to nothing.

What next?
Well...amazed at that !! I posted last year about the state it was in and how difficult it was to walk to Aguada, and seeing that now, makes me shudder as to what state it will be in after the next monsoon. Have herd no reports on the tanker being moved which has not helped the cause but 2 other factors that must have (and will always have) caused problems are climate change and the effects of the tsunami.
Once the tanker has gone (if it goes...) the government must act straight away and put in some sort of sea defence barrier ie huge boulders - this though is something they will never spend 'our' tourist funds on.
Surely the 'big' hotels down that end should now start being more concerned and putting pressure on the government to sort it out ?
Will be there in March and will speak to my friend at Ganesh shack and get his opinion.
"Surely the 'big' hotels down that end should now start being more concerned and putting pressure on the government to sort it out ?"

Just shows how little the Goan government actually care about the environment and major issues affecting tourism.

So far they have failed to....

1. Curb the illegal dumping of sewage at sea and at the Nerul river
2. Control building
3. Stop taxi drivers overcharging by dragging out the installation of digital meters
4. Introduce strict speed limits on the overcrowded Aguada - Calangute Road.

These are only a few issues..

What do they do with all that money they make from tourism?
Call me cynical, but I don't think the Taj Village and Fort Aguada hotels give a damn about damage to the beach outside their properties. They would prefer to keep their guests within the confines of the hotels where they can charge them extortionate prices for food and drink.
The wall which was built up outside the Taj was severly damaged during the monsoon and has cracked and slipped down onto the beach. For three weeks in November, no-one was working on it at all. The only effort the Taj has made for its guests is to place a few sunbeds on a small stretch of beach up towards Kingfisher Villa, the beach there is very steep and guests have to scramble up and down a bank. Certainly not five star treatment.
I am dismayed at the state of the beach, some friends of ours have the Baywatch shack which is close to the Taj, this year there was hardly any beach left to place sunbeds on.It is also quite dangerous as lots of rocks have been exposed close to the shore. Some of these are in fairly deep water, but close to the surface as I found to my cost when out swimming. I dread to think what would happen if a jetski were to hit one.
Action needs to be taken now, but who by ?
Katie,

I wish there was a discussion group dedicated to environmental issues and other which is affecting tourism in Goa. Since I hope to go there for many years on holiday I would like to see some of the money I am spending going back into solving these problems. I don't think this group is the right place to connect.

There are a lot more people than ever dissatisfied with what is happening to the Candolim/Baga coast and maybe it's about time we let our true feelings be known. In any other business whoever is involved in management would at least listen to what the 'customer' (tourist) has to gripe about.

I know there was an environmental committee set-up in Goa last year to voice their concerns about the erosion and pollution of the N Goa coastline but no doubt the Goan Government will only listen and not act until palms are crossed... typical.

I met so many unhappy long-time Goan travellers last season who said they were dissapointed with the destruction of a once beautiful coastline. Some people say 'don't go there then' .... well that's a lazy argument.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.