EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Sue

I think you will find 99% of private rentals take some sort of breakage deposit. Personally i only take £75 - but know others that take up to £500

Perhaps post on the Expats forum for more ideas on insurance - another great site with lots of discussions about rental property management is lay my hat check out there forums on http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/index.php

Regards

Leigh-Anne
Hi Clin, I charge a £200 breakages/security deposit per holiday for my property on the Algarve. I have had to withold this amount with two clients, one for negligence and the other one booking for 6 persons and bringing 13 with them, although on the latter we were still out of pocket. If your property is brand new and your furnishings are also i would charge an amount which is average to replace most large items. Cheers Jayjan
Thanks for your suggestions.

We have buildings & contents insurance thru Lloyd's but this only appears to cover loss/damage following violent & forcible entry, ie presumably not caused by tenants. We have emailed the broker for clarification.

Interesting to note that a relatively high damage deposit doesn't seem to have harmed your business.
Hi clin. We have been charging the same security deposit since we first started renting the house 3 yrs ago & find the majority of people who enquire accept this & dont mind paying it as they are told its refundable if no damage is reported, but this also makes people think twice about respecting the house & its contents, lets face it some dont care and think because they have paid money to stay they can treat it how they want because it isnt their own . Happy renting. Cheers Jayjan
we have a £100 breakage dep and people have replaced broken pyrex,a frying pan and 1-2 other things.i have now put a notice up in apartment as tanning oil stains marble floors,p 20,is terrible for it,so to please not put it on in lounge use bathroom ,as it costs to have the stains removed.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.