Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Dont get to hung up about reviews, having read many, many reviews when searching for hotels I have come to the conclusion that apart from a very small number of hotels for some reason almost all hotels have reviews which vary hugely.

Only two reasons I can think for this is that only people who had a great or awful time will bother to review a hotel or some people for example have a huge flight delay or similar and therfore it colours their whole holiday and they are unhappy at everything

Just book it and enjoy :D
We were quite happy at Dar Kyaham.

A warm welcome, loads of food, pool & beach.

There is an ATM nearish the hotel. Come out, turn left & keep walking. When you think you have gone too far you go around a corner & it's on your right.

Latif, the camel man, took us in his car & I saw another tourist getting a burl from the Govt shop which is just before.

:D
going to this hotel in august/september,me,hubby and 3 kids aged 15,13 &9. has anyone from ht been there recently,and got any info for me.
hiya :)
i've been back to the dar khayam 4 times now!! i read horrible reviews about it before we went, but once i was there, any doubts were wiped away! the hotel porter carried our suitcases up to one of the top floors two at a time, and refused a tip!

never had a bad time there...although the hotel may not be as fancy as some of the other hotels in tunisia, it certainly wasn't shabby. the maid left fresh flowers on the beds every day which was a nice touch, and also left a nice note for us on our last day!

the rest of the staff are absolutley fantastic, the entertainment is great, the pool area is never too crowded, the beach is about a minute walk from the pool, the food was gorgeous, there were day trips on offer, and other activities going on.

the entertainment team really do go out of their way to provide activities for guests.. they work all day and most of the night...and are willing to take guests into hammamet town centre late on for the clubs.which is good because it can be a bit scary at night in a foreign country.

i would definitley recommend paragliding which is very cheap...the view over the med is breath taking!! the trip out on the pirate ship was slightly disappointing, but the camel safari....definitley worth it! have a great laugh and dress up in african clothing! the banquet was good too! well worth the money

normally i get bored after two weeks, but at the end of the holiday i wanted t stay on for a further fortnight!!
hi rayna,
thanks for the info on the dar khayam.we aer going aug/sept,what time of the year did you go.do you think my kids will enjoy it they are 15,13&9.is it true that there are a lot of flies in the dining room.
thanks tras37.
any other info you think would be helpful,i would be grateful if you let me know.
we went there on 28th august and stayed for two weeks and the weather was SCORCHING the whole time we were there...absolutley beautiful weather!! one night from about 12 o'clock there was a bit of a tropical shower but the next day it was boiling hot and bright blue skies all over again! i'll dig some photos out for you if i can find them!!

as for the flies...i never saw one in the restaurant the whole time i was there! it was spotless and we never had any trouble with anything like that!

we went as a family...ages : 39, 42, 17, 15, 12, 7

and there really was something for everybody..no-one was bored! especially at night..i even joined in with the kiddie disco! haha..the pool bar stays open till 12, and you can either sit down by the stage, or round by the pool...whichever you prefer. the evening entertainment consisted of the usual kids disco, then bingo or a raffle type thing, and then the evening entertainment...theres also a disco on after that for those who wish to stay out a bit later! if you fancy a quieter night, the indoor seating area is lovely and chilled out...and there is a bar right next to that also.

there are some lovely places to visit and look around..all of which the hotel manager and receptionist are more than happy to tell you about! taxis are very cheap! honestly, the staff in the hotel are more than fantastic..they really will bend over backwards to make sure you enjoy your holiday!

we took travellers cheques to avoid any money being lost, etc...and theres a small shop on the site where you can change them into dinars however often you like!

if theres anything else you'd like to know about the hotel or hammamet just ask!
thanks for that rayna
i was planning on taking nationwide visa/debit card as they don't charge you for using it,and some euros and sterling.ive never used travellers cheques would you think they would be a better option.
ive heard there is a aqua park and a ice rink in hammamet how far are these from hotel,would 5 of us fit in a taxi or would we need 2.
thanks for all your help.
tracey
p.s i'd love to see your photos
I've never used travellers cheques in Tunisia. ATMs are plentiful in most areas and they've never let me down. I've also heard that some banks have ATMs where you can insert English money and get dinars out but I've not come across them myself. I'll look into it when I go back to Sousse next month. I know Sousse isn't Hammamet but they both have similar facilities.
well sadly we had a horrendous time at this hotel, cockroaches all over the place , maybe its had a clean up since we were there as we had put in a serious complaint and they were sending investigators over, but no way would i recommend this to anyone we had to go through a solicitor in the end to sort this out, my son had an accident whilst there no one seemed to care , another family got sexually assaulted on a camel trip booked from the hotel, the food was diabolical im qualified in catering , blood raw chicken in the centre, i had ants in my salad, onion skins in my strawberries, and no i dont expect 5 star for 3 star but i do expect a reasonable standard and not under cooked food or cockroaches, the rooms were basic but that wasnt our main problem, the only good side we could find was the beach , the weather wasnt good either which didnt help the situation as there wasnt any entertainment in the day for the kids when we had 4 days of tropical storms,weather obviously cant be helped, but the standards of the restaurant were appalling, on 1 occasion i was waiting for my meat to be cooked a cockroach ran infront of me i shouted the chef came round and squashed it with the food sign infront of me, how disgusting was that, loads of people were complaining and taking raw meat to the rep she was hopeless and said would talk to the chef, nothing changed whilst we were there,everyday restaurant ran out of something so we would be standing around waiting for plates, cups, lemonade or pudding what ever they had run out of,a group of british holiday makers fell out with each other,massive fights went on involving kicking down a bedroom door shouting, verbal abuse,assault, 1 woman was so distressed the dr had to be called in,hotel refused to get police but in the end they removed this family that caused the trouble to another hotel which ended up being better quality so this didnt go down well with the families that had all the trouble ,atmosphere wasnt very nice after this incident happened,so hopefully things have improved no way could they get any worse
can i ask when you went ellie
i didnt reply quicker as have just come back from turkey today, it was 2 years in june
glad about that Ellie, sounds like things have improved since you went.
i agree with you nadine66
reviews look good,i am staying at the dar khayam in aug/sept.
are you staying here also,if so when
fingers crossed they have improved, couldnt have been any worse, the place was filthy, rooms needed painting and new furniture too they were very basic and small, we had twin beds and bunk beds squashed in our room , we had to climb over 1 twin bed to get out, but this was just trivial compared to the huge health and hygiene problems i had, we managed to get a good per centage of our money back after going through a solicitor with photo of evidence of the cockroaches, raw meat,maggots in my husbands fruit, sons accident etc, we really did have the most horrendous time, i hope our complaint has helped others after us have a more enjoyable holiday and the standards have improved due to them sending people from the uk to investigate
yes we are staying here, but we fly out on the 1st of October Tras.
Thanks Ellie, forwarned is always forarmed.
Stayed here May 05, we are going back may this year. Great Hotel, great staff, lots for everyone to do. Well worth the money

:D
has any body been to this hotel ? thinking of booking it after having second turkish holiday cancelled by tour operator. Can any one give ideas on what its like ,eg- give examples of food on offer, day trips etc
thanks for taking the time to give advice :)
Hello to all
already tried to ask this on another posting but now i've got my spellings right some one might reply. :oops:
After having two holidays to turkey cancelled by the agent we've chosen thomas cook today to find a replacement for 17th July This hotel was offered with good recommendations . Is there any chance of as much info on this hotel and Tunisia itself as we have never been. Is there enough to do in the area or is it out on its own? Will we be able to go for a stroll in the evening for example. As many details as possible would be greatly accepted. :hmmm :?:
we are going to the dar khayam in august,there are plenty of reviews on this site and other sites such as holidays uncovered,holiday reviews,trip advisor.the good reviews outway the bad.i believe there are a few shops nearby,and the town centre is 6km away.have a great holiday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.