Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
The following are worthy of recommendation.

ES PUJOLS

Casa Vicente Serra
Marcellino's Duplex Houses

ES CALO

Ses Basses de S'agua Apartments
Sa Glorieta
Campanitx Villas

LAS SALINAS

C'an Toni Xumeu Cottages
La Revista Apartments
C'an Paya Cottages.
We visited for the day last year whilst on Ibiza and I must admit being dissappointed. What is still being advertised as a quiet tranquil place has become overrun with cars, mopeds and people. We were given to understand that there are so many people there now that they have to import water to the island as many of their aquifers are dry or contaminated with sea water. It was an enormous contrast the the last time we had visited when we almost had the place to ourselves.
Mrs Darcy
This web site may be of help as it contains a couple of the apartments mentioned in the last post.

http://www.formentera.co.uk/main_page.html

Hope this has helped you.
I also hopped over to Formentera on a day trip from Ibiza and was mostly dissapointed. Admittedly we started off on the wrong foot with a horribly rough boat crossing and then being abandoned at a very dead, miserable looking port. Didn't manage to meet any friendly, helpful locals either - they were a busy, harrassed lot mostly. And I'd definately agree about the traffic - it looked a bit of a nightmare where we were! Mind you we found a lovely beach, but I couldn't imagine spending longer than a day there, and was glad to get back to Ibiza! Hopefully you will have better luck than me!
We stayed in Es Pujols when we went to Formentera in 1991. I know that a lot has changed in the past 13 years but I was in the town this summer and it still seems pretty much the same as back in the 90's. We stayed in the Hotel Es Pujols, backing driectly onto the beach (less than a minutes walk away) and the staff were excellent, and so were the aminities.

Es Pujols is a great place to stay as it is quite close to the main harbour of Ses Salinas and if needed can be walked in around under half an hour.

If you have never been there before, I strongly suggest a trip to Formentera when you next visit Ibiza, its a total paradise.

Marc
Es Pujols is 2 1/2 miles from La Savina the rather unattractive main port. It'll take longer, a good hour or more of walking. :whoops You do pass Ses Salines on the way but as the name suggests this is a disused area of salt pans. People mainly go to the island for the many superb beaches, some of which can get very crowded with daytripper boats.
The best thing to do on Formentera is to hire bicycles from one of the small shops in the port of La Savina. In the past 15 years or so the entire island has had a lot of money pumped into it thanks to the tourism on Ibiza itself and as such the roads are now much the same as you will find in almost any other place in Europe and nearly all of them have cycle paths for the hundreds of cyclisits that use the island every day.

Getting from La Savina to Es Pujols on a bike only takes around 20 minutes at a slow and steady pace and for the most part the motorists seem to acknowledge the cyclists and give them plenty of room when passing.

Bike hire last summer (July) was between 10 and 15 Euros depending on which shop you went to and includes in most cases a lock and key so you can safely lock the bike up when you are down on the beach. But as far as I am aware theft of bicycles is pretty rare on the island.

Hope this helps,
Marc
hi

quite fancy going on boat trip to formentera when Im in santa eulalia in June could anyone tell me how much it costs and where to get it from. Am I better booking through the rep are going independantly
Depends what you want. We did a trip booked through the rep last time we were there. At least all the transport is sorted out. A coach picks you up on the island and shows you the sites. However if you just want the beach you can get the ferry (they run from Ibiza town and from Playa den bossa and possibly other places) and then just turn left at the port and walk along the coast. However I must confess to being dissapointed last time we went over compared to how it was first time 15 years ago. Then it was rare to even see a car, now the island is overrun with thousands of them.
dont waste your time or money its crap and an expensive rip off
Hey Billy, so it's abit of a swiz then mate. Looks sorta ok in other reviews and I thought the bairns would like a snorkel on the beach?
Going to San Antoinia Bay this summer with husband and kids 10 and 11.
Have been looking for some information about day trips to Formentera, is it worth taking the trip, should we take a cool box ? are there any decent resteraunts / cafe's etc .

any comment's appreciated. :D

Regards Gail
Been to formentera years ago and although a lovely spot to go swimming or sunbathe not much else and if you use a holiday rep to book it then you would be advised to take a packed lunch or as you say a coolbox as the small food outlets were very expensive.. When there you had to wade across waist deep water to get to the main island as the boats moored at a small islet just off shore. There are also naturists on the island who are exactly that.

Having said all that we still enjoyed the peace and quiet of a lovelly beach and the added bonus of seeing all the beautiful people in their yachts moored in the bay.
Oddly enough, I posted information on trips to Formentera on another thread - "Blue sky in June" - only this afternoon.

As per the previous reply, I would suggest taking a pack lunch if you are heading for the beach. There are only two bar/restaurants out there and can be very busy, not to mention quite expensive, in the summer months.

Getting off at the rock and crossing to the beach is not always an option. It is if you take a ferry from Santa Eulalia or Cala Llonga, but if you take one of the large ferries from Ibiza Town, it will take you directly into the main marina. From there you can either explore the island, which is larger than most imagine and has a few decent resorts, or you can take a short taxi ride out to the beaches.

The most famous beach, and my personal favourite, is the one at Ses Illetes. It is a long, clean beach with safe swimming in crystal clear waters. As has already been said, it does have nudists dotted around, but they account for less than 10% of the beach crowd on a normal day, and tend to stick pretty much to one stretch.

The Sta Eulalia & Cala Llonga ferries will also offer you the option of going on to the marina, if you don't want to get off at Ses Illetes. As for crossing from the rock, where the ferry drops you, to the beach, the sand gets built up every now and then, so the water you have to wade across will not come past your knees and is flat calm.

I go across from Ibiza every year and will be doing so again this year. As I said on the other thread, I love Ses Illetes beach so much that I'm thinking of staying the night on Formentera this year so I can have two days there.

Hope this helps.

JJ
Can you get from San Antonio to Formentera? if so how and does anyone know how much it costs
Thanks for your comment's . Will give Formentera a try ( with packed lunch) :lol:

Gail
Me too with a bit of luck
I don't know if you can sail directly from San Antonio to Formentarea, though I doubt it. Probably the simplest way for you would be to take the bus into either Ibiza Town or Santa Eulalia and catch the ferry from there.

I'm sure your rep will be able to tell you which is easiest. Don't let them sell you the trip though, as they will no doubt be far more expensive than doing it on your own. You might be better asking one of the Brits working the local bars & clubs for advice.

I reckon you would expect to pay around 20 Euros for a return ferry trip. The local buses on Ibiza are regular, reliable and cheap.
Yes you can get a boat from San An. but it's quite a long trip at about 3 hours. So it better to park in the car park behind the shops opposite the ferry center in Ibiza town and take a ferry.
I hired a moped at thats the only way your going to see the island properly and the beaches in the center don't have a car park.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.