Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
Formentera.
15 Posts
yes, in my mind it is well worth the boat ride over there, you can sun bath on some of the island's best beaches, and also take a tour bus around the island about an hour in all, and see some really nice views of all the island, i found the resraunts more expensve then the mainland ibiza, but still well recommeded visit, if you want some photo's i can send you some to give you a little taster of what to expect
Hi :wave ,
Thanks for the reply,Yes some pictures would be most welcome.
I hear Formentera has some stunning beaches, I love to see a nice beach so it probably will be worth seeing the Island.

Also you mention a bus tour around the Island you don't happen to know the prices do you :?:

Many Thanks,
tofog68
send me a email addy for photo's

the bus tour was all in with the boat trip over there, i think most tour boats do the same i went from play den bossa it took around 30/40 minutes each way
your tour operator will try to put you off going alone stating that theres no transport available etc.

but i would recomend doing it your self.

try and catch one of the big boats (glass bottom cats), with a toilet and bar as depending on where you go from it can be a long trip. (san an is a long one) playa i might possible go on the little boats.

theres buses all over the island for a few euro and they will get you round the main spots and back to the port for your boat.

mopeds are cheap and fairly safe. the roads are good for them and not too much traffic.

theres lots of beaches, try and see them, some of the hidden away ones are real quiet and beatifull.

formentera is definatly worth the effort.
There is a ferry service from Santa Eulalia as well which uses small glas bottom boats I think.
The ferry from SE is a very large catamaran with a glass bottom,It picks up at Es Cana at 10am then goes to SE then Formentera at 10 .30
The ferry from SE is a very large catamaran with a glass bottom

Yea, like I said a very large Catamaran with a glass bottom! Pft! :D
Hi there,
If you are going to Ibiza you could do far worse than visit Formentera as it is truly a paradise like island that is the closest you can get to the Carribeian without shelling out thousands of pounds or euros.

The beaches are extremely clean, and due to its flatness and location, the island stays warm most of the year round and tends to feel a lot hotter than Ibiza itself. Make sure that you take plenty of water with you if you do go or stock up at the marina or the stores around the corner.

There are a few ways to get to Formentera, but all will involve a boat of some discription (unless your a millionare and can land there), and you can catch boats and ferries from all the major ports on Ibiza including Evissia, Sant Antonio, Figurettes and Platja d'en Bossa. Boats vary in both price and the time taken from one island to the other and back again.

You can opt for the super fast hydrofoil which only takes around 25 minutes, but is extremely expensive at around €25-30 per adult for a one way trip, or the slower car ferry which can take over two hours depending on the time of day at around €17-20. Smaller boats such as Pirate Petes and the Glass Bottomed boat are very cheap at around €15 return for an adult, with free entertainment and sometimes sangria thrown in for added measure.

Formentera itself is an amazing place with some really lovely views, but be prepaired to see lots of 'naked as god intended' people as most of the beaches are nudist or clothing optional, with the exception of the main one outside Es Pusjol one of the islands biggest towns.

You will find some great places to eat, serving some excellent seafood and tapas, but they are not cheap so be warned. Also if you do go think about hiring a bicycle as they are very cheap and a very good way of getting around the flat island and exploring.

Up from the marina of La Savina (where the majority of boats berth) is Es Pujsol and further inland the capital of San Fransisco. There are some lovely churchs and even ancient Moor ruins and a Neolithic burial site that has to be visited.

There are loads more things to say about Formentera but its best to find out yourself and have fun so I hope you do go. If you need any more help just ask or check out one of the other threads here on the site.

Hope this helps sway your mind,
Marc
If you get one of the large boats from Ibiza Town, you will have to hire a bike, take a taxi or make the long walk (at least it seems long in that heat) to the best beaches.

If, on the other hand, you are taking one of the Catamarans from Santa Eulalia or Cala Llonga, they will drop you off at a large rock island just off of Ses Illetes beach, which is a long stretch of beautiful beach with calm clear waters.

The crew on the cats will ask you if you want off at the beach or at the marina. They will also tell you the times for the return, normally around 5:00pm.

I go over there for at least one day every year. This June however, I found things a bit different. A large stretch of the beach at Ses Illetes has been declared a nature reserve of some sort, and so the number of beach beds allowed is now limited.

We went there on the 09:30am cat from Cala Llonga and there wasn't a bed to be had anywhere by the time we arrived. So, it is adivisable to take your own parasol and rafia mats. The sun at midday is much more intense than on the mainland and most people get under sombrillas at some point.

You would also be advised to take some food a cold drinks in a cool bag, as there are only two bar restaurants on the whole stretch of beach, so they can charge whatever they like.

Having said all that, I'll still be going again next year. As someone else already said, it's the closest you will get to the Caribbean without actually going there.
:wave A big thank you to everyone that replied.
Can't wait to go and see it for myself :D
Hi All
Posted this the other day on the general topics forum.
Looking for a good AI on Formentera that would suit a 40 something couple with 3 teenage boys. Any help greatly appreciated. It's sisters 20th wedding aniversary next year and they really want to do something special. They went there on a day trip last year and really liked the look of the island, but can't seem to find anywhere suitable with the run of the mill travel ops. Any help greatly appreciated
Ta
Hi All,

Some advise please, we are off to Cala Llonga for the 2nd year running, last year we stayed in the resort as we liked it so much, this year I would like to see a bit of the island.
We are very much beach people (2 kids in tow) always in search of the picture postcard beach. Is it worth doing a day trip to Formentera? Also can you suggest other places to visit? we will hire a car for at least a day, (kids start complaing if we spend too long in the car).

Suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance
Merged with an existing topic which has some useful information in earlier posts.

luci :wave
We visited Formentera for the day last week.
It is lovely truly like being in paradise.
If you love soft sandy beaches and crystal clear water.
It's the place for you.
Very quiet.
Not everyone would like to stay there I don't think there is much to do apart from the beach .
We did'nt go all round the island but what we did see was very very nice.
We would go again.
It was 25 euros return from Santa Eulalia.
It left at 10 .30 and you had a choice of either getting off at the first stop and having the whole day at the beach.
Or getting off in the harbour where you got on a coach trip round the island 9 Euros and then went to the beach for about 3 hours.
The boat returned at 5.30
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.