Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Basically you have three options by public transport.

1. direct coach from Albufeira to Ayamonte or Huelva. This is a joint service run by Eva (Algarve's main bus operator) and Damas of Spain. Damas show the timetable here. During the winter only those shown in the green columns run and not at weekends or on public holidays -which means you only really have one usable service in each direction. Although the coaches serve Seville you don't really have enough time there to make it worth doing. Don't forget that Spain is one hour ahead of Portugal, the timetable shows local times.

2. Eva bus (changing at Faro) to Vila Real d. San Antonio then by small ferry across the river to Ayamonte. Buses run every hour or so but you may have some hanging around at Faro. The bus terminal at VRSA is next to the ferry, which is only really a fishing boat with seats and space for a couple of cars - great fun!

3. train from Albufeira to VRSA, again changing at Faro. You can download the coast timetable in PDF format but note that Albufeira station is quite a way out of the town. If you stick to the trains shown here the fare is €6.40 each way, there are extra express trains between Albufeira and Faro which make it more expensive. VRSA station is about a 10 minute walk to the ferry, walk straight ahead from the station, turn left at any of the main roads and you reach the river, the ferry is about half way down the quay possibly hidden by an open air market if they are there in the winter.

If you go to Ayamonte you can mix options to suit timings, eg bus to Faro, train on to VRSA and direct coach back from Ayamonte. The bus and train stations at Faro are about 200 yards apart seperated by a parking area.
I have the local bus times etc on my website if you need them:

http://www.algarvebus.info/002s.htm for Albufeira - Faro
http://www.algarvebus.info/015.htm for Faro - Vila Real

links from these two pages will take you elsewhere in the site if needed.

Beware that the last bus back from Faro to Albufeira is at 730pm weekdays and 645pm Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. You will need an early start to make the most of a day.
cubsur

I'm impressed! I've saved your page in my Favourites.

Have you considered offering your services to Eva as they seem to be in need of someone who knows how to publish timetables! Or even someone who realises that if they publish the timetable more people might actually use their buses.

Steve
The thought did cross my mind but I am supposed to enjoying an early retirement!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.