Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
differences
11 Posts
I don't know the hotel concerned but a food poisoning bug can't be 'taken in' from a wedding guest from the UK. Food Poisoning is not contagious - you only get it if you've eaten the food concerned. Are they saying it wasn't food poisoning but a contagious bug of some sort?

Have you checked other review sites such as trip advisor to see if their reports match up?
Yes I have been on trip advisor website and they more or less say the same as holiday truths, Salmonella. But it was FC who said it was an airborne bug, I really dont know who to believe.
It is also reported that kids have been getting ear infections due to swimming in the pool which alledgedly had pooh floating on more than one occasion.
Sorry, but some types of food poisoning are very contagious - salmonella, for example, can be passed from person to person. That's why those who work with food (in this country, anyway) aren't allowed to return to work for a certain period if they've had food poisoning. There have been several recent highly-publicised cases of food poisoning epidemics which spread by just such means.
The reason for the difference in reviews from people who went at the same time will be down to whether or not they were infected with this illness. Those who didn't catch it presumably had a much better time than those who did.........

I should say your best hope is that these sort of bugs seem to flourish in very hot weather and by the time you go it will have cooled down quite a bit. Take one of those anti-germ hand sprays and use it before touching anything at the buffet.
Hi blondiescot, thats very worrying, surely that means that it will be very difficult to eradicate if ever. But why havent First Choice stopped sending people there if it is as bad as people say :yikes
I have received a reply from someone another review site and they have just returned from there in the last few days and say there is absolutely no problem at all, except for the mozzies!!! they just love my negative blood, not looking forward to them.
My daughter works in a supermarket cafe and they're not allowed to return to work for two weeks if they've had food poisoning.
My friend became ill on her last day at a 5 star hotel in the Dom Rep.It turned out to be Salmonella as she was admitted to hospital on returning home.Her husband ,myself and my husband were fine despite eating almost identical food for the duration of our holiday.The only thing she ate that we didnt was eggs!These along with poultry are the main source of salmonella bacterial infections.
It can not be passed from person to person as you have to eat food infected with the bacteria.An infected person should not handle food and will probably be too ill to do so anyway!
If my friend had wrote a review on this holiday it will have been a negative one,but she did have 13 wonderful days before she got ill.
The HVs in Turkey and Sharm have had negative reviews at times this summer due to stomach problems,but the Sharm HV was fine when I was there last winter.
Lizzie,If the mozzies bother you buy some Sinkov when you get there.Its what the locals use and is brilliant and about £1 for a spray bottle
I dont normally allow myself to be bothered by other peoples "reviews", i have booked to go away to at least 2 or 3 different hotels/destinations....only to read scarey reviews etc, and found them to be fantastic hotels, i think on most occasions you wil get 2 or 3 bad reviews out of every 20 or so.... so i think peoples expectations differ, im happy if my hotel is clean/tidy and up to date.... others want more!
I really enjoy reading holiday reviews and reports.

As the previous poster says though, people do have different expectations. We have been in hotels in different countries that we have been very happy in but you always meet the odd few families who just constantly complain about trivial things and have a moan about something every single day.

To me the main priority is having clean accomodation/toilet. Following that , if its hotel accomodation, then good food. Also I think it is important that staff are happy, helpful, smiling - its all helps to make your holiday enjoyable.

If any accomodation consistantly gets really bad reviews lets say I would remember it.
Hi lizziegp ,i think if you are so concerned and worried you would be better to change your hotel .There is nothing worse than going on holiday wondering every day if something is going to happen or you are scared to eat this that and the other in case it is infected .For my own peace of mind i would have to change ,good luck in what ever you decide.

Bluepeterno1
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.