General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi quirky girl try phoning Thomas Cook. If it turns out you have to buy new cases have a look at price-drop tv. I had 3 last year for £35 and they are brilliant.
Try asking on the Thomas Cook and/or First Choice threads on the Flights forum HERE
The new 23kg limit with First Choice is a right old pain - lots of families prefer to take a couple of HUGE suitcases instead of making the kids carry their own. We usually have a set of three cases for three of us and I pack them as 25kg, 20kg and 15kg with grumpy teenage daughter reluctantly dragging the smallest one :roll: On our recent First Choice holiday to Fuerteventura our biggest case was a little bit over the 23kg limit - they just put a HEAVY sticker on it.
Last year we fell in to a similar trap and at check in at airport (Glasgow)had to throw away stuff to make the cases lighter! What a state we were in !
My brother-in-law recently flew and the airline website said something different from what the airline was saying elsewhere so he took a print-out of the webpage to check-in with him as he was determined that he wasn't paying excess baggage.
I don't understand why people should think that a maximum 23kgs per case is such a pain. Just think of the baggage handlers who hump cases on and off aircraft all day long.

Matalan, Woolworths and Dunelm have trolley cases at a reasonable price and also not over heavy before anything goes in them.

Pippa
I have just been looking at cases in TJ Hughes and they all actually have the weight of the case on them. Most were 4 - 5KGs. They didn't feel very heavy to me so I was surprised that they weighed that. So in a 15kg allowance you only get to put in about 10kg of clothes etc. Karen
Over the last couple of months we have replaced our suitcases with medium size cases. Have flown with BA and First Choice and they both are bringing in max 23kg per case. When the cases are full, the heaviest one weighs 23kg, so I know it is not worth buying a case any bigger.

Have to make sure the suitcase is light to start with though!
Surely you don't need to buy all new cases? There is no restriction on size, just weight, and you only have 2 cases between four of you, buy acheap case or holdall and transfer enough stuff to ensure they are all under the limit.
Or just take the empty holdall to the airport with you in case they do refuse your cases you can repack there.

Personally though I'd rather have more lighter cases than less heavier ones, even if the kids won't help carry them its better for you to distrubute the weight evenly on both sides of you body than use one big bag, and you can split your stuff up in case one bag goes missing
zebedee, I get your point but people have spent quite a lot of money on their suitcases, me included and are now having to buy other cases. People who have young children etc try to get as much in a few cases as they usually have pushchairs as well etc. I have 3 children and know it works better with fewer items. My problem is now most of the cheap airlines don't even let you combine your allowance, so we all need a case each for a 2 week holiday. Plus the fact with the liquid situation, things that could go in the cabin previously now cannot, like suncream, shampoo etc, which weigh quite a lot. Ok might serve me right for using a cheap airline and booking my own hotels but it is more spending money for us and I think thats the way other airlines may go. Karen
Thanks for all your opinions and taking the time to reply :D

I called Thomas Cook Airlines and they advised they will load them :D,

More spends for me!!!!
The topic of weight restrictions on luggage once again raises it's head.

Many buy suitcases without considering how much they weigh. That is only one problem. What we pack needs to be considered. How much we take but never wear or use. Sun cream and lotions can be bought when you get there in many cases. The same brands you buy here at home.

Could go on for a long time with tips to help you reduce the weight but at the end it is down to the individual to decide.

Airlines will continue to drive down the amount they carry - if only so they can charge you for the excess.

What continues to surprise me is the amount that some people want to take in one case. rather than two.

Health and safety applies just as much with luggage.

Ask yourself, would you wish to be lifting that amount? so why should you expect others to do the same!

Because luggage allowances are expressed in Kilos many get a false idea of what they really are. 20kgs is 44lbs in proper money. That is like carrying a sack of potatoes or a bag of sand. Expressed in that manner then your case does start to seem heavy.

fwh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.