Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
DIY To Menorca
20 Posts
I would normally recommend to go DIY however to make that work you need to get hold of reasonably priced flight tickets. I am not sure there are any left for August now. Worth a look though. I don't know where you are flying from. I usually book flights directly with the company where I get them cheapest so it has been Thomson flights, First Choice Airways and this year EasyJet. For the hotel I have used Travel Republic http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk and so far everything has worked very well and the price has been cheaper than with other sites. Med hotels http://www.medhotels.com/ also seems to be ok from what I have heard. However, last year when I booked late for a week in July it was cheaper to go through a tour opeartor. They can vary in price quite a lot for the same hotel so it is worth looking around.
Just got a quote for £733 for 4 of us is that good or not?
Hi tonyR

Is that for flights or accomodation?
Flights

Just got some for £442 thru alpharooms
Roc Lago Park £1333 14 nights with transfers
aug 21
My flights were £470 for five of us, mid July. If you got the quote for flights through Alpha Rooms try look who they are with and check with them directly. If I had been a little earlier I would have gotten them around £400. But I think your quote looks ok. Hotel I found from £1222 on Travel Republic, £1757 with Med hotels. Depending on board.
Hi Tony, sounds ok to me. Have you had a look at the Lago Park website to book direct with hotel, it's http://www.roc-hotels.com
Don't know what type of room it is you've priced up but they are also offering 10% discount. a 1 bed apt comes out at just over 1300 euros for your fortnight so it's worth you having a look.
Thanks

just over £1000

Would you recommend booking this way as I have never done a DIY but it looks cheaper
Total for four would be £1443 approx in aug from 21st to 4 sept
Hello again

Never done a DIY myself but I know lots of other members have and never looked back. When I was booking this years hol I did loads of research and found that because we needed a weekend flight they were coming out at about £1000 for the four of us in August. I've ended up going with the package because it worked out about the same as DIY (just over £2k for 2 wks from 16th August to Cala'n Bosch). I looked at the Roc Lago apartments and probably would have gone for those if we could have got cheaper flights so will definately keep my eyes open for when the flights first come out for next year in the hope I can pick up a bargain. Your flights seem a bargain, who are they with and which airport will you fly from? I'd say go for it...and then let me know how you get on! Have you been to Cala'n Bosch before? Roc Lago Park are in a brilliant location for everything the resort has to offer. Let us know what you decide.
PS I read somewhere else on the forum that a taxi from the airport to the resort costs about 60 euros so bear it in mind when looking at transfers.
Hi

I looked thru alpharooms via Easy Jet and they came out a bit cheaper than direct with Easy Jet themselves from Gatwick
I would prefer Stanstead but it is normally dearer from there

Regards
If you get it cheaper going DIY book it that way, unless you want the excursions that the tour operators offer. We have done both and I prefer DIY. Last year when we booked transfer through Travel Republic they were waiting in the hall for us, no waiting time just us going with them. With three small children no waiting time is great. This year we will just get a taxi. We have a shorter transfer than you though. I do shop around before booking and go with the cheapest. This year our holiday is £500-600 cheaper compared to tour operator prices.
If you book through Travelrepublic.co.uk put GETSOMESUN in promo gives you only a bit off but it is better in your pocket.Been with them four or five times now and everything fine.Going to Lanzarote with them in 3 weeks.It's the first time with full package and recieved tickets today but it has 2 male travellers instead of one of each.It is Cosmos's fault though not Travelrepublic even so I hope they rectify it a.s.a.p.Also had tranfers for 17 of us in November in Fuertaventura no problem,they use Ressorthoppa.

Regards Mary.
All booked thru Alpharooms

A 2 bed apartment at the Roc Lago Park 21/8/ - 4/9 £1668

Funny enough it was cheaper to book flight and accommodation thru them than going direct with Roc Hotels and Easyjet

Thanks for all the suggestions
Glad you've got something sorted, you've got a bargain there I reckon especially as you've got a 2 bed apt. Have a great holiday...roll on August :sun2
Please come back on and review the apartments when you return. I will suss them out when I'm there but it'll be good to know how you get on.
hi.
we have also book roc lago in early aug after seaching the net.
our flights were £700 for 5,and £980 accom via travel republic for 1 week.
siesta playa looks good on the ads,but it is £700ish more expensive,and the reviews and travelers photos all state its very poor.altho we did stay at calan bosch last year,and it is right on the beach.
you and the kids will have a great time,we loved it.
we are hiring a car tdo the transfer and use all week,as this is cheaper than a transfer.driving so easy in menorca,its just one quiet main road with the resort branching of at intervals.
calan bosch tho is the very furthest resort from the airport,i have heard people say if its a coach transfer,by the time everyone else has been dropped it is a long journey.
the island is too beautifull not to look around.
ps.out of all the places we visited,we still thought bosch was the best.
good choice
Hi Harrison

Who,where did you hire the car from and how much if you do not mind me asking

As I was toying with the idea of hiring to drive to the Hotel on arrival

Regards
hi.
if you go on travel supermarket.com,and go onto car hire,put in your dates etc.it will give you a list of all sizes of cars from all the agents,so you can compare the best deal,and choose your car size.i think we paid just less than £100,but we chose a family size car to accomodate the luggage for 5.
if you do drive,as you get near to calan bosch head for cap d atrix (or something like that,i cant remember exact spelling) as bosch doesnt tend to be sign posted from the main road.and then pick up the bosch signs from there.
There are hidden beaches around the island that you would need a car for.we went to maccarella.its like a bounty advert.
the water park is in bosch so thats ok for your boys,and the horse show is supposed to be a good evening out,thats at another resort,guna try that this time.
if there is some secure way to send me your email i could send you pics of the beach at bosch etc if you wanted.
ps.i think a transfer will cost same as a car for a week.may as well go for it if confident in driving abroad.
We always go DIY and have found some lovely apartments on the owners direct website. I am not able to post the link as I havent reached the required number of posts yet. :que The apartments are usually very well equipped and more comfortable than the package holiday ones.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.