Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
I've only been to a few resorts and probably the quieter ones such as Cala Galdana, Es Castell and we've also been to Cala n Forcat.

Lots of shops could be a problem unless your in Mahon or Cuitadella nor have the resorts we stayed in had a prom as such. Maybe someone who has stayed in the busier resorts will give you some ideas.

We did like Menorca though, it's more peaceful with less groups of teenagers than most places.

We hired a car and as the Island is small were able to visit different resorts or both ends of the Island with ease. Driving was a doddle as well.

Who will be going Chivas?
Thanks for the reply, It'll be me and the wife and our 13 year old daughter! She's 12 now but it's for 2009!
Hi there

Have been to Menorca a couple of times now, Cala'n Forcat years ago and more recently Cala'n Bosch. The latter has a couple of nice beaches (not massive stretches but nice enough) No promenade to walk around as such but a lovely marina with lots of restaurants and bars for people watching. Not many shops to browse round though but you can hop on the bus Cuitadella the old capital for not many euro's. Not sure what your 13 year old would think of it as my children are much younger, perhaps others could help you on that one.

The thing that struck me when I last went in 2003 on the journey from the airport to resorts was how picturesque the island is in comparison to other holiday destinations. No high rise buildings just lovely whitewashed houses and apartments, and a beautiful landscape. I'd been to Majorca the previous year and I definately prefer it, but then it's all down to personal preference.

Go on give it a go!!!!
We normally go to a very quiet resort so I can only say that Arenal d'en Castell is not for you. Son Bou seemed busier when I went there but someone else will probably know more. Son Bou has a great beach, I know that much. However, I would say that there are loads of things to do during the day. Menorca has lots of archeological sites for example. If you check out this site you will find lots more information on the island http://www.menorca-net.co.uk/menorca/index.php
Hi Chivas,

Whilst Menorca is known at the quieter Island it certainly isn't dead by any means.

We stayed at S'Algar which is a 'tourist village' with 2 hotels, 3 apartment blocks plus private villas. You could use all the facilities of these, might not suit though as you had to drive to the beach, There was a small Lido and all the complexes all had pools.
It was also close to Binibeca Vell which was lovely of an evening, restaurants overlooking the sea, pavement cafe's and a few tourist shops.

Son Bou has the longest straight stretch of beach on the Island (most others are coves) and is backed by apartment complexes so might suit you.

You also have Cala'n Bosch which is the busiest resort so perhaps you could check that out as well.

There should be things to do, if you go with a TO they will offer trips. You can visit Mahon and Cituadella, there is also a water park. If you go in the school summer hols and choose the right accomm, I think your 13 year old should be OK (mine was 11 but made friends with a girl of 12 and we hardly saw them) but I wouldn't leave it much past 13. LOL.

HTH, Doe :)
thanks for the replies!

Looking on Google earth photos those coves all look amazing and theres loads of them!
Also as your youngster will be 13 then you may not worry about her so much as, as said there isn't the larger, older groups of teenagers who may cause you concern if she wants to go off with her friends for a while.
You say you like to go somewhere with a good beach but don't elaborate on what you mean by "good" beach.

If you like picturesque coves Menorca has plenty to offer.

If your idea of a good beach is a huge expanse of sand the likes of which you see at places like Alcudia or Sa Coma then you'll be struggling to find this on Menorca.

Also if one of the things you like to do in the day is go to a great water park then again you won't find one on Menorca. There are a couple of small ones but very disapointing if you're used to the ones on Majorca etc.
Hi Chivas,

We're been going to menorca for the last four years as we have small children and we stay in son bou.We find that it's a great base as we hire a car.The beach is the longest and there are plenty of watersports if that is your thing.It is a nice beach for kids.
We visit Allior on market night,there are a few shops and a band playing while you sit and have a beer.

Mahon is worth a visit,some lovely shops there,they also have a market and there are some nice restaurants by the harbour, also Cituadella is worth a visit.

Cala Galdana has a lovely beach and is worth a visit although there is'nt much going on at night.

We never use to go back to the same place and have also been to Alcudia but we find there is something for all of us in Menorca and it is very family friendly.
Hi there
I would recommend that you base yourself in Es Castell which is a beautiful little town within walking distance of the capital Mahon. THere is a market twice weekly on the lovely village square. Also has a regular bus service to the centre of Mahon for just 1.30 euros.
The best beach on the Island is Just 10 minutes away at Es Grau.
In Es Castell itself you will find loads of bars and restaurants.
Bragans Irish Pub
3B's
Camachos
Teapot
Port Antic
You really couldnt have a better base for your holiday
Hope you enjoy it wherever you stay
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.