General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
A ken it a. Fit like chiel, chavving awa or aye kniping on? Me, a'm hinging igither.

(Better look out or the mods will be reminding us of the T&C's, namely:

10. All posts must be written in English.
We reserve the right to remove posts written in other languages.

:rofl
LOL love it!!

I'm from Stranraer in SW Scotland but I've got friends all over Scotland and i find my accent changes depending on who i'm talking to, if it's our friends from Fife i find myself adding "ey" after everything i say and i end up with the fife accent aswell lol, and i can't control it either!!

We've got a Galloway Irish accent down here because we're only 26 miles across the water from Northern Ireland, and my ex's family thought I was Irish, and he only lives 40 miles away in Ayr! Even my accent was completely different from his and my mum did not understand a word he said!!
Another example of Aberdeen accents - Not getting at Aberdonians, have spent many holidays in the area.
A passenger on one my husbands tours, when having a morning coffee stop in a small German town , asked where he could get a 'bonk'. A bit taken aback OH said he was sorry he could not help but was it perhaps the right time of day anyway.
Turned out the passenger was looking for a BANK to change money.
We live in Lanarkshire and were also told by an English Courier that he could understand us if we were talking directly to him but if we were talking to each other, he couldn't understand a word
Being from the heart of Wales & speaking Welsh as a first language we have great fun on holidays. We usually go as a group of 4 or 6 & it's unbelievable the looks we have when we converse in our home language. We've been labelled as German, Dutch even Russian.This isn't only abroad. It's great when we're approached by timeshare or people selling things - we just pretend we don't understand them. It's hysterical watching them going through all the languages to see if they can make us understand them. One sister has lived in the Midlands for 20 years, but when she visits Wales her children ask her if she's going to start speaking in that funny voice. She's not actually speaking the Welsh language its just the innotation when she's with the family.
That,s my trick with time share people speak welsh, love it when they try going through
all the different countries, most don,t even know where Wales is :que have you found that?
annx
Definitely, they always try & say we're English. (no offence but we're not!) This year we hooked up with people from France. Between my sister & myself our GCE French stood us in good stead. They understood our passion for rugby & a lovely bond was forged.
:rofl OH yes I can tell you yes all the time we are from Belfast (now thats an accent everybody knows )and yet we are asked all the time are we from Australia, :rofl :rofl colleen
I don't really have an accent. I am from London but I don't even have a London accent - I actually pronounce all my letters :rofl

I have been asked if I am from Somerset before :think
My accent totally changes on holiday, because i'm not surrouned by people speaking the same, i really slow down a lot

For some reason in Spanish shops they always speak to me in German, maybe a combination of my accent and my height / build!!

Remember, there ain't such a thing as a 'Scottish' accent, it differs greatly across our wee nation!
I know old post but I was looking for something else, but when I went to Ireland in January, someone thought we where Australian even when we where talking about the snow at home.... :rofl
I'm from East Sussex near Kent, and it looks like 3 of us nearish each other (reading through) have also been mistaken for being Australian :rofl
  • Edited by Tarry 2010-05-17 22:36:52
Being from Glasgow people think I am from Ireland, though I do have a slight 'twang' being that my great grandparents were irish.

After i've been on holiday for about a week people confuse me for a local because I am very dark skinned and have dark hair. Tourists asking me for directions and such.

Helen
Mine never gets mistaken, I've got a very broad Black Country accent & i hate it!
I'm from the Stoke on Trent area and on holidays I'm usually mistaken for a scouser. Only ever by Southerners though.

The strangest accent I have recently come across was a chap I met from Carlisle. It's a strange mix of Geordiesque and Scottish.
i am northern irish living in aberdeen for 33 years and people think i come from orkney, when i first came over to live here i could not understand my (late) father-in-law i kept saying sorry? and pardon a million times. used to it now though. :) xphx
I'm as Brummie as they come. Other Brits spot it straight away. However the Americans don't pick up accents. According to them Hugh Grant and I have the same accent. :D
Scottish, but everyone thinks I'm Welsh or Irish. When Timeshare and Holiday Club folk approach, I answer them in Gaelic, so they haven't a clue where I'm from in spite of my white skin!
:rofl Im lovin this thread, had so many laughs reading through it!
I'm from Bristol and every single time me & the girls go away atleast 1 of us will get called farmers!.

Last year in cyprus we were on a boat trip in protaras and the guy that worked on the boat said to my youngest "Comon vicky pollard lets go for a swim!".
On kareoke i just get forced to sing combine harvester and my eldest who is 14 years old is always getting mistook for being greek (she speaks greek & does the perfect accent, also has the cypriot hair, cypriot look lol!)

Just to add on - I adore Belfast accents!!!
xxx
From Belfast but quite frequently mistaken for American :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.