Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Does anyone get vaccinated before going to Turkey??
I personally never have had any and I have been 14 times now, Best person to ask is your Doctor.
I never had any vaccinations, even when I lived there but it is just personal choice.
People who live in a country have completely different immunity levels from those that visit for two weeks.

Also its not just about a selfish 'I'm all right jack attitude' it's about not bringing disease and illness back into the UK as well which the NHS then has to pick up the tab for, but few people seem to care about that.
If I choose not to have vaccinations it is my choice and none of your business, I'm not being selfish and I'm not bringing in any diseases to the UK, if you don't mind..!
I don't think Doe was making a direct comment to anybody she was merely stating a fact that people who choose not to protect themselves run a risk. Let's leave it at that please.
:yikes What an rude post Yedi Yavrusu. It was a general comment and not aimed at you, as was obvious to other posters.

I have my own views on immunisation and how it affects the general populace and health provision, I assumed I was entitled to post them on what is a public forum. :que
"Also its not just about a selfish 'I'm all right jack attitude' it's about not bringing disease and illness back into the UK as well which the NHS then has to pick up the tab for, but few people seem to care about that."

That to me was a very rude post! :yikes And I know it was aimed at me because you seem to have taken a disliking to me for some reason.

Now please can you do as Glynis has asked and leave it.
Let's keep the arguments off the thread please.
To be honest, the only person you should be taking advice from re which immunisations you need should be your doctor or a travel clinic.
i agree with fiona,

or go and look on the fco website if you don't want to go to your doctors
Our family went to Turkey last July and never had to have any Jabs.
Hi

On our first time to Side four years ago, we had jabs as recommeded by our doctors surgery back then, we then had the 6 month boosters to cover us for 10yrs..... We were also travelling with our young children, so we had their wellbeing to consider.

3 weeks ago we had our medical records checked, and went to doctors for the lastest recmommedation, and found we just needed to have a Typoid jab each, as that jab had run its course. They asked what part we where heading off to, and the on the screen the nurse pulled up a map of Turkey.

Marmaris, Bodrum extra showed a white area - meaning no risk of malaria. From Antayla down, showed up a light pink, meaning a slight risk she informed us. However, having been to this area twice before, and never had any problems and never took Malaria tablets either time, we have decided not to take Malaria tablets - her reponse was ' well mossies dont fly to a certain line you know ? ' Maybe she's right, but everyone has their own thoughts on this... If however the map had shown dark pink , like other countries did, then we would be taking malaria tablets.

We were also told the main bulk of our jabs now last for 20yrs, instead of 10 yrs.... having them means if we should decided to travel in the future to a country that needs them, we should be covered depending again on the advice at the time of travelling and to what country.

Yes, I agree with the other posts, medical advice should really only come from the Doctors/ Nurse/Travel Clinic..... you can listen to the advice, but it's down to personal choice.

The brillant thing with this website is, the degree of peoples thoughts, choices and findings..... so others can read and take on board and act on or not if that is to be the case.
Hey, my partner and i aer goin to Gumbet in July with our 1 year old son and i was wonderin if he needs to get jabs before we go. Can anybody help? :think
there is a thread on here about this just down the page abit.

Ola
it was lasted posted in yesterday (wed 28th may) at 10.12am

all the info you need is in there, i don't know how to do the link thing, but i hope that helps.

Ola
I think you would be better off asking a Doctor or the Nurse at your Doctors Clinic rather than asking for advice on what is primarily a holiday forum. That said I made sure my kids had them, but I am sure loads of people will come on and say I was wrong to do this. :que but I beleive in protecting their health and that of others.
Turkish children have the same immunization schedule as European/uk kids..so if you are up to date with the scheduled jabs you child is covered.
if you are staying in a modern tourist area for one or two weeks ..not going roaming off into unchartered territory in Eastern Turkey..then you will be safe.
the dangers will come from the sun..and insect bites..so take hydration therapy..Diorolyte or similar,and dont give your baby/young child food that is too spicey or oily..feed him /her on things that he/she is used to ...wash fruit in bottled water etc. keep them covered in the sun..ive seen some really dreadful cases of sunburn....so always protect tender skin.
watch out for the pool for cleanliness...sometimes its not the hotels fault when pools become contaminated...people put babies in that will pee and poop in the pool...true..
i was a health visitor in the uk for many years.....so have a little bit of knowledge!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.