General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
TO brochures only show you the things they want to show to sell their products. So much 'real' information available on the web.
before I got a computer( 9 years ago). I'd get loads and loads of brochures-and spend my evenings flicking through them- but like avh says there is so much information/images available on line- I don't even think about going into the shop for a brochure.

Belly
I still get the odd brochure think they are useful if you are lookingfor new destinations and I often come across places I would not have picked up if browsing on the net. However if I do find somewhere I will do the main research on the net.
I have ordered brochure sections online- sent by email. Can't remember the last time I actually got a "real" brochure.
I do pop in and pick up a couple, it does help me, when I see destinations on the front cover in the shop as it gives me ideas of places that I would not have thought about before. I then do more searching on line to a bigger variety of places.
We used Travelsphere/Page & Moy for a holiday to SA just over a year ago - we also at the time, got prices from SAGA and Hayes & Jarvis. Now we are bombarded by brochures thru the mail from all of them!!!!! :rofl
If we go with First Choice/Thomson I pick up the appropriate brochure for the holiday just to cut out ts & cs, booking information etc to save printing off at home.
I have recently picked up a Thomson brochure for Croatia but disappointed at the high prices and that they dont fly from my local airport,so its back to the drawing board. :rofl
Brochures must be a huge expense for Tour Ops
- and now many of us book on-line, there's no way that the shops can recoup this cash.
And folk do pick up brochures from their local shop, go home, and then book on-line.
I know, I've done it, and it does seem a bit unfair.

A solution might be to CHARGE maybe £1 per brochure. This would provide important revenue for the shops. To offset this, each brochure could include a voucher entitling anyone who booked a holiday from it, whether on-line or in-store, to maybe £5 discount.
Voucher Ids would need to be computerised and ‘use once only' but the technology exists for that now. What do other folk think?
ukbill wrote:

A solution might be to CHARGE maybe £1 per brochure. This would provide important revenue for the shops. To offset this, each brochure could include a voucher entitling anyone who booked a holiday from it, whether on-line or in-store, to maybe £5 discount.
Voucher Ids would need to be computerised and ‘use once only' but the technology exists for that now. What do other folk think?

Seems eminently sensible - which means they won't do it!!!
Brochures are great because very quickly you can find something you never set out to look for.

Without a brochure we wouldn't have been to Porto Santo, it was only looking through one we realised you could fly there direct.

We still compared online and booked online.
Hi Brewerdave,

It's good to hear that travel brochures (ours included) are still used by many of you. Much of what has been said on here is what some of our customers have told us; brochures aren't the only tool being used to book their holidays but are an important first step in finding inspiration, particularly to answer the question of where to go. Many people will go from the brochure with a specific destination in mind and then go online to explore further (as mentioned by Hockey6 and daveyjp).

I can assure you that as a tour operator we do try to take on board what our customers are telling us. I'll pass your suggestions on to our team,

Jon at Hayes and Jarvis
I get sent a brochure just after Christmas (literally the day when we first get post I got a brochure, keen, much?) from whom we book our irish cottages holiday with. I like to nose through the brochure and use the internet. I also like to look through another brochure, because I'm sad if i see it lying around at work :rofl
We normally drive to a campsite in France but family circumstances this summer mean that we can't fit in our usual holiday. Our choice was to holiday in the UK or to find a flight to somewhere within a 36 hour window so I picked up a pile of brochures to see where we could fly within that window from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle or Manchester; we could have got the info from the airport websites but it was easier to do it with brochures.
I love printed brochures - would be very sad if they stopped doing them. I flick through them while I'm eating or watching tv - give me ideas of places to visit so I can then do some further research online. I can see why the tour ops would want to get rid of them though - they must cost a fortune!
I love it when people cite the internet as a reason for getting rid of bochures. Fact is that there are over 10 million people who have no idea how to use a computer. MY wife is one and enjoys trawling through the brochure to pick up ideas. Yes I use the internet but only when she has made her choice.
TOs may like the idea but I think it will be a long time before they finally manage to get rid of them. They could of course rationalise as many seem to produce more than one version.

fwh
fwh wrote:
TOs may like the idea but I think it will be a long time before they finally manage to get rid of them. They could of course rationalise as many seem to produce more than one version.

fwh

Agree totally about the number of brochures advertising effectively the same holidays - haven't looked this year but in the past Thomson/First Choice and Thos Cook certainly seemed to have a brochure for every trading name/customer group - they also seem to reissue them at least three times from release date until well into the season - this must add a large amount onto the holiday price! :duh
Haven't picked up a brochure in a few years now. I do all my research and bookings online.
Im still old fashioned enough to book through a travel agent so its nice to have a reference. We were also caught out the one year we didnt use a brochure or agent and the hotel was awful - wish we had seen it before we went kind of thing - so yes, always pick up a couple of brochures when I can. I dont think anything beats browsing through a book (which is why I still havent purchased the kindle :think ) and looking at the pictures and thinking "hmm that looks good". Once I have chosen somewhere though, its internet and as much info and pictures as I can possibly get all the way :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.