General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi:

I wear glasses and wouldn't wear contact lenses on a plane! I am quite new to glasses, but will be using eye drops on the plane anyway. It would be so much more comfortable to wear your glasses instead.
I am a constant contact wearer usually but I have stopped wearing them on a plane because as you say your eyes dry up, always wear glasses.

Enjoy your holiday
I tried wearing my glasses on my last long haul. I can comfortably wear contacts all day long but opted for glasses this time as I tend to sleep a lot on these flights.
I wore contacts for years and never had any problems on flights up to about 6hours. For real long haul flights I used glasses as I often dozed and would end up with dry or sore eyes if I didn`t take my lenses out. Which could be a bit dangerous given the cramped conditions on planes, didn't fancy crawling around on the floor looking for a dropped lens.
Unfortunately due to an eye condition I can no longer wear contacts, really miss them though.
Always wear my contact lenses on the plane without any problem at all!
I wear contact lenses and i find if i fall asleep then my eyes are really sore and dry. You are right that the air on a plane is usually dry and this also irritates the eyes. I usually decide to wear glasses.

Tell you what other problem I also have - wearing contact lenses in the heat whilst on holiday - this is a complete nightmare if you are sunbathing so I have just today purchased a pair of reactions lenses. I've decided through the day on holiday I am just going to stick with the reactions and wear my contacts on an evening. :sun
I would speak to your optician about using any comfort drops because I have been told that sometimes this can cause a reaction with the soloutions you use for your cleaning process.

Maybe not true for everyone but I would ask the question :!:

I find a having a small handbag size of saline and having a little spray usually does the trick but obviously you have to take your lenses out to use that so that isn't always convenient.
I bought some comfort drops from tesco yesterday, they are specially for contact wearers, they are Tesco own make and cost £2.99. (they are really good for dry eyes). :)

gail............
That's obviously ok if your Optician gives them - it may have something to do with the soloutions i use .... why its not advisable for me.

I suppose different people give different advice but its something the individual concerned is going to have to decide and then find what works best for them.

:lol:
Hi,

I wear daily disposable contact lenses. I carry my glasses & lenses in my hand luggage.
What I normally do after an hour or so is I always take out my lenses and wear my glasses for most of the journey, especially if I want 2 go to sleep. Flying always makes my eyes feel dry & start running. Just before we land I then put in a fresh pair of lenses.

:)
I wear my daily disposables on the plane (I never fall asleep on planes unfortunately!). I always carry 2 bottles of eye drops which can be used with contacts and then I can always put a couple of drops in if they get dry or sore.

I always carry them around in my handbag whilst on holiday as well as the sun can dry my contacts out. I take 2 bottles just in case 1 gets damaged. Eyes are extremely precious and I don't take any chances with mine!

Karen
Hi everyone

I wear daily disposables, and even though they are very "moist" I find they dry up terribly on the plane, making my eyes feel really gritty. I ALWAYS wear my glasses now!
I've been wearing lenses for years, I now wear monthly disposables but usually wear my glasses in flight, just in case I manage to fall asleep. Depending on what time we land I may put my lenses in before arrival.
Im also a new contact wearer. Can I wear contacts swimming in the sea or the pool??
I always tend to take my lenses out, as I find they dry out on the plane. If I sleep in my lenses, my eyes just get irritated and sore. We have a night flight this year so defo going to ditch the lenses for me specs.
Laurence
Hi All

I always wear my glasses on the plane as I like to sleep - also especially when we have an early flight - it is a long day and my eyes get tired if I wear my lenses too long. I can then put my lenses in later to go out for our first night. :lol:

Re wearing lenses in the pool - I wouldn't recommend it. I wore mine in a local pool once and just touched my eye and the lens fell out to be lost to the bottom of the pool. Also when I was away a few years ago overheard a man talking about his girlfriend who wore her lenses in the pool for their first day - lost it and well... you can guess the impact that had on her holiday -

Trish
I am another one that certainly wouldn't wear my lenses in the pool - it's also happend to me where it has fallen out .... stick with the glasses it's so much easier ... granted not as nice appearance wise but it's safer. :lol:
Like Gbell I wear my lenses in the pool but because they are the daily disposable ones its not such a problem if they came out. They never have though :D :D
  • Edited by tootsie 2005-06-02 12:10:20
Even though they drive me mad, i wear my glasses on the plane as my lenses dry up and i like to have a nap.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.