Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
HI,

We loved the hotel Riu Merngue and its sister hotels (whose facilities yu can also use) when we holidayed there, although it was quite a few years ago.

I think the price is reasonable, given the fact that it runs through school easter hols. Can't help with the weather in April I'm afraid. As for Malaria medication, it is advised but not compulsory
http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations/caribbean/dominican-republic/dominican-republic-malaria-map.aspx
thanks.

i booked it yesterday :)

we go on the 19th april for 17 nights.

can anyone tell me if there is much to do other than staying in the hotel?

I'd like to go into the centre and do a bit of shopping, and a few trips.

I have never been all inclusive before, as its pointless going all inclusive in Goa, so i pretty much did what i wanted.

Also, is it true that things like sunlotion, shampoo, showergel, medicine is quite expensive? Its no trouble if they are, i will buy them at home :)
Are there things like pedalo's (sp?) on the beach? my son loves these :rofl

and last but not least, is the sea safe to swim in? in Goa its actually quite rough, and i wouldnt dare to go past my waist even though im an excellent swimmer.
I hope this isnt the case in DR.

thanks in advance
:wave:
Hi,
We went last easter, and we did have a little rain, as we also did when we have been in Goa too.
I would say without any doubt D/R far better than Goa. I love the sea and hate it at Goa but when in the D/R was fantastic love everything about it. I am sorry can not coment on the hotel as i stayed at the ibererstar i think it was called, in Punta Cana would woulg go back there like a shot.
I am goint to Goa again at Xmas but i will say it will be my last time after 8 times in just under 4 yrs i think its time to change. I will hopefully be able to take a holiday at easter so will be looking for A bargin in the D/R.
Enjoy :cheers
Pip
Hi,
There is nothing really outside the resort of the 3 hotels but yu can hire a taxi to take you where you want and it isn't too expensive. we hired a taxi (which also came with a guide) to take us to one of the main towns (the name escapes me), where we bought some dirt cheap leather sandals. We also asked to go to the rum factory where we had a great tour and some free samples. The bottles of rum were really cheap to buy there too.

When we were there part of the beach outside the Bachata was called the sports beach where you could hire pedaloes, canoes and windsurfs for nothing (included in AI).
walks - glad to hear from you :tup , you are a regular poster on the Goa forum, so it makes a change 'seeing' you here.
Its good to know that the sea in DR is much better than it is in Goa. The sea in Goa is very rough isn't it.
I hope you manage to find a cheap holiday in easter to DR, the place sounds very nice, and i am looking forward to it even more now.

shirley - this is the sort of thing that i would like to do, get a taxi and hire a guide for the afternoon. I have never been all inclusive before, so this is the sort of things that we did in Goa, just got a taxi and asked the driver to show us different places.

The reason why i am going all inclusive is because i know that most hotels in DR are all inclusive, and i didnt want to be going to a new destination and worry about the cost of living.
Hi,

Just got back from DR. The sea is usually very calm we had a few days where it was rough from the passing hurricanes.

We stayed at a hotel about 10 min drive away.

You don't say how old your son is but ocean world swim with dolphins is great cost $150 for adults. ALso did white water rafting, dune buggys, Paradise island & Mega trucks.

White water rafting is amazing but need to be confident swimmer.

If doing dune buggys take an old t shirt as you get filthy. (Then bin it)

We did vip paradise island. Yacht with champagne & oysters then speedboat to Paradise island where we did snorkelling. It was a good day out but i would not do the vip again as yacht trip was boring.

Mega trucks was good. If you decide to do this kids in villages like to be given sweets, pens etc

It is much cheaper to buy all toiletries, suntan lotion here.

When on trips they all like tips. Tour guide drivers etc

You will have a brill time whatever you do as it is an amazing and friendly place
Hi anty - thanks for that, i will definetly be googling those trips :)
My son is 7. He can swim, but not very well (only 10metres), so i think the white water rafting is out of the question.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.