Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
they are extremley strict over there regarding things like that.

I got married over there a month a go. It was amazing
I got married in Dom Rep last year - was brilliant!!

I would contact the Dom Consulate but I would imagine that they will get you to change it to match the birth cert - as sun seeker says they are strict on the legal side of things.

We got married at a different hotel but after we had a gala meal at the al a carte restaurant for all 12 of us and when we got back to the room there was a bottle of rum and fruit and they had put flowers all over the room - was truely fabulous!

Congratulations and enjoy every minute.

Joolz :wink:
:gluck Birth certificate and passport will have to match, they are very strict!!!!!! most hotels will organise gala meal, Riu hotels are fantastic, chose well there! I paid extra for some spanish guitarists, worth it made it really romantic, you can only book that once you are there though. Don't be alarmed if you don't get your wedding certificate before you leave the country, it rarely happens! Enjoy and best of luckx
DJ Paulos, went to my friends wedding at the rui merengue four years ago and it was fantastic. The place is amazing. The wedding was beautiful (as long as the celebrant is sober - he had a bit of a reputation of missing weddings due to being intoxicated - could be a rumour tho' as our wedding went without a hitch) As the weddings usually take place in the morning alot of people changed into swimwear and hung around the pool until the a la carte meal in the evening which i felt made things a bit flat for a while, however, our party hired minibuses and went to a restaurant over the other side of the island for an italian meal. Cant remember the name of the place but it was amazing right on the edge of a cliff, absolutely fabulous views. Then went back to hotel for evening meal. Lots to eat and drink all day but isn't that what weddings are all about. I hope your wedding goes as well as my friends did, we all had a fabulous time, I would love my daughters to get married there. Good luck to you both
Yeah i have been back 5 weeks now, should hopefully be getting the certificate back soon!!

We had a live band called the domincian trio for our weddingm two bottles of chanpagne on for the photos and one for the room, flowers and button hole, and a few extras all for free. its was truly a wonderful wedding
Thanks All, I will let you know how we got on when we get back. :D
Has anyone else got married in DR. My daughter is this April but has had a bit of a job contacting the consulate. Their new address is in London but she wanted to speak to them regarding where to send documentation and the cost and how long it takes. She has had all the translations done. The Consulate is not much help. They have an ansaphone giving website (which is in Spanish) plus another number to ring about weddings, which is the same recorded information at £1 per minute! You can't actually speak to anyone. Is it worth going up to London to get it done. I don't believe they will accept cheques or cards. So how do most people pay? Any help advice I would be grateful as Thomsons have not been very helpful at all.
Hi
I got married in the Dominican in July 1997 and it really was the best day of my life! No hassles, and we were actuallly sunbathing round the pool a few hours before we got married! I would recommend anyone to do this, but unless things have changed in the last 8 years, dont expect a long service! Oh and the best bit was, it cost us all of £49 for the package! Were still happily married, and hoping to visit again for our 10th wedding anniversary with out 2 sons! Good luck! xxx
We got married in Punta Cana, 26th January 2006. We stayed at Riu Palace and had our wedding on the beach. It was truely stunning.

Very relaxing, very personal & stress free.

Photo's are taken wherever you want them. You have a gala meal in the evening. Your flowers are displayed on the table, along with wine & candles. After your meal, your wedding cake is brought to you for you to cut.

I would highly recommend this to anyone.

We had the time of our lives :love

Here are some of our photo's...hope this link works:
Hi all, we are hoping to get wed in dom rep and have heart set on Secrets Excellence, however i know that the vows are read in Spanish and then translated, does anybody know what its like as my other half thinks it may be odd. Obviously its tough because its their country but just wondering if it will come across weird? sorry if i dont make sense! :oops:
Hi

Does anyone know what documentation you need to get married in DR? Also, what happens regarding the certificate once you are married?

Thanks

Stacey
Congratulations!
We got married there 11 years ago. You have to take your birth certificate, and if you've been divorced then you have to take your decree. That's all!
If you're organising your wedding through a tour company, they'll send you all the informatin you'll need, so don't worry.
We got our certificate 4 or 5 days after we were married, and there were 3 or 4 copies of it. The authorities here never questioned the fact that it was in Spanish.
Your Rep will talk to you when you get there about what kind of flowers you would like, cake, music, beach or garden. You can book a hairdresser and make-up, the photographer can take a video.
We got married at 5pm when it was a bit cooler. It was totally hassle and stress free. I didn't want the day to end!
Thanks TishTosh

It's not for me, I got married in mexico (Iberostar Paraiso) last year. It's my cousin who's looking at the Iberostar Bavaro next November.

I'm sure she'll have a look on here later.
we are going to get married in the dom rep, i first wanted jamaica but you cannot fly direct from newcastle and i dont want guests to have to transfer, or drive to and from manchester, especially if they are only coming for the second week.
so anyway my question is were would you say was best.
i fancy the casa del mar on the south side as i have read good reports on both the hotel and the south side of the island, but the wedding woman at thomas cook said she has done lots of lovely weddings at the ibrostar Costa Dorada Hotel in the north
we have two children to entertain girl 10 boy 2
Hi, we got married in the Dominican Rebublic at the Casa Maraina Beach Hotel in Sosua (Dom North). Loved the hotel as there was always plenty to do for the adults and the kids and thought the a la carte restaurants were lovely, the only bad point I had was the evening entertainment. Our Thomson's rep dealt with every detail of the wedding leaving us with no hassles and just to relax and wait for our big day which was absolutly fantastic. If you want a luxury holiday and 5 star accommodation then this may not be for you but I wouldn't swap our wedding day there for anywhere else.

Wherever you choose I'm sure you won't be disappointed, hope you have a lovely time and all the best with the wedding.
the casa del mar or the iberostar hacienda dominicus are both lovely for weddings we went to a wedding at the ihd and can confirm that it was beautiful. the south imho is far more beautiful and both hotels have a very high reputation. if you want to see the wedding photos i took pm me and i will send you a link to them :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.