Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
just an update - i've found transfers[dot]net which will take me and my girlfriend from Punta Cana airport to Bayhibe for either £106 in a taxi or £120 on a shuttle bus. Both return journeys. Doesn't seem too bad.

Still be interested in knowing how others have done the transfer, or if you have used these service before. thanks
can someone tell me the routine from when you get off the plane (our tranfers are included) and when you pay the $10 fee, i like to know what to expect.

thanks pam xxxx
Hi Pammie,
It's quite straight forward. You'll follow the queue to where you'll show your entry visa and have your passport stamped. You'll then proceed in the normal way to collect your luggage. Have a great time.
it is straightforward enough.
it is $10 per person on your inward journey and $20 per person coming out. You must pay in american dollars, hard cash.

best wishes

jr.
hi again - just to go back to the transfers question - if they arent included in the flight/package, is it best to book here via one of the online places or are there deals at the airport? anyone been and done this before? cheers!
Rothko, I 've only been there once so not a lot of useful advice but how did you manage to get a holiday without the transfers? I assumed they were included in all the packages I have seen. We are thinking of going back this year so would hate to find ourselves stranded at the airport..

When we got out of the airport building the car park was filled with taxis, cars minibuses etc.
On the other hand you may be able to contact the hotel to see if they have a recommendation because if the local drivers lose their hotel business it has a major impact.

The roads are a nightmare with potholes etc, or at least they were while we were there, but it seems to be only one road from Higuey so How about hiring a car, I know the Americans who were on our diving trip had hired a car but I am not sure of the prices.
hi Steve, thanks for replying.

We booked through a company called On The Beach (since done a search here and not all that positive, but the price was cheap) who act as a broker so got us flights and then got us accommodation, but they don't link the two...

from reading some other posts i think i will go with dominicanairporttransfers [dot]com as it works out to 190US$ return for 2 people, which is about £95 - not bad. I'd rather sort it here than there just in case there are any problems, or they see the look of desperation on my face and hike the price, or language problems, etc etc.

Dont really fancy driving to be honest. Good idea about the hotel though, was going to email them anyway to let them know it is our honeymoon (it really is, i'm not just trying to blag them :D ) so will mention the transfers to them and see what they suggest.

cheers, lee
Which hotel then? and was it a much better price than the eclipsedirect site?
We are undecided as yet and there may be too many of us not to have a coach.
Re driving on the roads. in general they drive on one side of the road unless there are potholes in which case they take the most approriate route. There are so few vehicles in the sticks that it doesn't really matter.
It was a big traffic jam at the airport exit till we got onto the open road and then again in Higuey but not much else about apart from that.
Bayahibe is about 1.5 hours drive depending on the queues at the beginning, but each time we made the trip it seemed to flash by.
Lad from work just went to the Sunscape The Beach on honeymoon and got a free upgrade at the hotel, obviously not the one you are going to but worth a try. Have a nice wedding.
its Oasis Canoa Hotel in Bayahibe, and yeah that transfer time sounds about right. just emailed the hotel actually so will see what they say.

driving when i get there means no booze on the plane, and its a 9 hr flight - be a struggle.

the 'holiday company' we booked through say this about transfers "Many of our holidays no longer include transfers, simply because our customers have expressed a preference not to pay tour operator charges for pre-booked coaches that stop at many hotels en route".

and cheers, almost forgot there was a wedding to get through first.

Lee
actually, Steve - just a quick one - what currency do you take and in what form? can you spend US$ in the hotels? rate is too good at the moment.
HI

We are thinking of using domincantransfers.com aswell as I have heard they are pretty good. Off to Suncape the beach on the 29th. Yippee
Rothko
Not allowed to go off topic, so you will have to look at the currency topics to find out if US dollars are still probably best.
I don't think I have ever drunk alcohol on a plane, but the hot chocolate and the heat probably made me just as sleepy as I did actually sleep through the transfer so self-driving may not be a good idea..

Looks like your hotel is just up from the IHD where we stayed so your transfer time will be longer!
Good resolution pictures of that area on Google Earth. It is, although I could be completely wrong here, the first hotel heading north from the west of Saona Island which is where the day trips go.
Will look up google earth now.

Transfer cost for us was $75 each way.
Hi nicolaw - think i am going to go with them for transfers, like you i have seen good reviews and recommendations. have a great time!

steve - yeah i didnt want to go off topic, just thought while i had your attentiom i'd sneak in a quick question (i started this thread and it was taken OT a few posts in). I had already posted in the currency thread so hopefully it will get noticed.

the online taxi transfer people estimate it at 1hr 30mins.

and yep, Google Earth is clear for that area - something to look at while i'm sat in the office :-)
we flew into Punta Cana last July and did our own transfers. We booked it through Hotelbeds.com There was a booth just through immigration, and we were taken from there to our minibus which we shared with around 3or4 other families.

we were at sunscape the beach, top place.

jr.
I certainally wouldnt even consider driving over there.... there seems to be absolutely no traffic laws, people drive where they want, any side of the road, motorbikes overtaking everywhere, people just pull out, tarmac one minute, potholes and dirt track the next, plus the risk of getting lost or braking down, its not worth it.

Pay whatever it is to get an organised transport to your destination, its much safer and removes the stress/worry from your flight over, and you can have a drink.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.