Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi - when we returned from Sharm in September we had four bottles of water in our bags and were made to remove them - they were seen on the scanner! Cannot remember the price of a bottle of water in the airport but don't think any more than any other airport? Eirian
we returned mid nov £3 for a bottle of water £2.40 any cans of pop
Almost as expensive as Dalaman!Thanks anyway I will just try and take a bottle of water through check in.If they take it off me fine.
Jay Trip.

Can anywhere be as expensive as Dalaman :shock:
Yes, Bodrum, just as expensive :shock:

Keep drinking lots up to the controls if they take it off you its not long till you are on the plane & can get free water or a bit cheaper bottled water.

I couldn't believe Bodrum, I don't know why people don't just eat & drink before they leave for the airport & bring a drink (even a snack) & then wait till they are on the plane. I just can't bring myself to pay £5 (I think it was) for a can of coke :shock:

Might be an idea to bring a bag of juicey sweets (like opal fruits) with you from the UK.
Thanks Kim,I have stocked up with fruit sweets as I refuse to pay over the odds at airports.We got delayed overnight at Dalaman and were given a voucher for a KFC sandwich and a drink.It was awful and would have cost us £8 if we had had to pay for it.
we had our water taken off us going through the scanners.
As someone said earlier, about £2.50 for a can of coke and £3 for a slice of pizza, £3 for pringles.
I agree that Dalaman is the most expensive airport in the world, felt that way when we were there.

Roll on september 1st 08, can't wait to sample the HV red sea.

Emma
I have been 3 times this year and all the water was took off us, the rep told us that 'sometimes' they let 100 ml bottles thru but we tried this and nope off they went with it. They let you thru passport control, but not through the scanner machine.

Also sun cream was in the pile! Sun cream, brand new bottles were took off some people at Luton airport, they were placed on a desk, alot of moneys worth!!!! I wonder where that all ended up, ummmm :shock:

Michelle x
I have been 3 times this year and all the water was took off us, the rep told us that 'sometimes' they let 100 ml bottles thru but we tried this and nope off they went with it. They let you thru passport control, but not through the scanner machine.

Also sun cream was in the pile! Sun cream, brand new bottles were took off some people at Luton airport, they were placed on a desk, alot of moneys worth!!!! I wonder where that all ended up, ummmm

I think its been well publicised all over the plane traveling world. I don't think it should be a surprise to anyone.

I also find it odd when people question the resort side enforcing the no liquid rule. Its not allowed here, why should it be any different there?

Can I ask where you got 100ml bottles of water. I thought the smallest was about 250ml. Not being picky, just curious.
Kim,The reason I asked if Sharm allowed drinks through security is because when we went to Turkey(Dalaman) in June we were allowed bottled water through security.It may have been because it was 50c!.I am off in the morning so I will just see when I get there.
Have a great holiday! :kiss
Kim,The reason I asked if Sharm allowed drinks through security is because when we went to Turkey(Dalaman) in June we were allowed bottled water through security.It may have been because it was 50c!.I am off in the morning so I will just see when I get there.

It was the post about all the sun cream & other bits taken off people that made me post that.

I've heard people moaning about not being allowed to resort side & happily complying UK side :?

IF they let you take a bottle of water through its a bonus, but don't expect it, bring sweets to suck to be on the safe side.

We were allowed to bring water through Bodrum in May. I was looking for somewhere to chuck it before we went through the scanner & the guard seen me & said it OK just bring it through. BUT I would not have presumed they would.
Can I ask where you got 100ml bottles of water. I thought the smallest was about 250ml. Not being picky, just curious

You're right, they are the 250ml bottles, the rep told us to buy that size bottle, then drink a 150ml out of it as they sometimes measure it :shock:
You're right, they are the 250ml bottles, the rep told us to buy that size bottle, then drink a 150ml out of it as they sometimes measure it

If you read the blurb, you can only take 100ml bottles through.
You can't take a 200ml bottle half full.

I'm more worried about why its so dangerous our side & a complete no-no, but resort side its hit & miss :shock:
Very Strange, We came back from hurghada in October 2007. We took 2 x 1.5l bottles of water through and had no problem. (They were frozen into a giant ice cube though) ??????!!!!!
Interesting point - if it is frozen then it is not a liquid and thus should be exempt from the restrictions!
Liquid would not be exempt just because it's frozen - because it thaws.

Strawberry
But metal "thaws", albeit at a higher temperature!
Jetnoise,

But we're not talking about metal and high temperatures - we're talking about ice!!! :roll: That thaws at ROOM temperature!! Once you're airside you could be carrying a potentially lethal liquid once its melted.

I really cannot see the point you're trying to make! Whatever does metal and furnaces have to do with ice?

If you're desperate for a drink you can always buy one airside; I really don't see the problem. Why would anyone try to sneak half a litre of frozen water through passport control?! :rofl
I didnt sneak it through!!!!!! We had 2 large bottles in a carrier bag with sandwiches in. They never even asked to look at it!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.