Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi susanh2 you ask about car hire in Bulgaria well take it from me there is no problem about driving there ,we have been going back and forwards to Bulgaria for 16 years now and I have been driving there for about the last 12 years without incident. As to the question about licences you only need to have a current photographic licence. and the paper counterpart (no need for international driving permit) . I always hire through Balkan (hertz) before we go as we found out in the past that hire charges out there could be more expensive, you may get responses from other people who say that the roads are bad they are just not up to what you are used to here but as long as you take care and make sure that you take out collision damage waiver insurance you should have no problem you will find that you are liable for any punctures and will have to pay for repairs to any tyres that get punctured. Any thing else just ask and i will try to give you an honest answer. You can also check on this site a post and the replies to it by Khurst on th 3 march subject(1st time bulgaria nessebar hotels.) :D 8) :idea:
Hi Mondeo

Thanks very much for your prompt reply and the useful information. You must love Bulgaria to have been so many times. We went for the first time last year and fell in love with the place so we will be back year after year ourselves now.

Thanks again
Susan
hi we are off to elenite tomorrow and as it seems to be a bit off the beaten track we were wondering about hiring a car for a few days. does anyone know where the best car hire place is and whether it is expensive!!
Hi ammber,

Your tour operator's rep should be able to advise you and some offer a small discount if you book with their 'recommended' car hire firm(s).

From reading other forums, TS Travel appear to be recommended by several people.
does anyone kown what car hire is like and is it expensive i would like to hire a small are for a family of four for about two weeks in july ?
Hi Kevin,

Prices vary, see example prices HERE and HERE.
Hi,

I am writting to give you information on driving in bulgaria,
due to people saying driving in bulgaria is dangerous and not worth it, i have to dissagree for some views.

The roads around the resort are getting near UK standards, but if you go further into bulgaria, the roads become not as good, but if your a confident driver u should be fine.

Petrol is also very cheap in bulgaria.

Most car hire companies in bulgaria give you a FREE map of bulgaria, and I got a book with the rules in.

Other drivers may be a little wild compared to UK standards,

its very awarding to drive,
and if you have any questions plese do ask.

yours,
bradley 8) :D
I agree. I've been drving in Bulgaria for a few years now, and you soon get very used to the numerous pot holes, cahotic signs and police officers who take road safety very seriously :wink:

You just have to adapt to driving in a different style, and you will be rewarded. You will see alot more of the country than you would relying on excursions.

Uncle BG
hi,

i agree, when you get used to the differences you should be fine.

I also agree police do take it seriously, i got a 200lev fine, for doing 10km ph too fast, even the UK policwe would let you off!

It is very awarding, if you drive to bourgas etc.......

brad
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
any advice on where to hire you car from as i'm thinking of getting car while out there :?:
What side of the road do they drive in Bulgaria and are the road signs about the same as the U.K
whichever side has not got the potholes, what road signs. Tonyt
Nice one, Tony!!

That just about sums up driving in Bulgaria, especially if you can't read Cyrillic.

Peter
:lol:
surely it can't be that bad tony!
I noticed plenty of pot holes. Also when I visited Varna from Sunny Beach the road signs were also in English
The Sunny Beach - Varna road is the main road from Turkey to Romania and Yes it has signs in English but according to a Bulgarian newspaper you will be hard pressed to find Cyrillic signs in the area around Dobrich cos the Bulgarians are using them for roasting peppers on. I think it was in Standart News a couple of days ago.

Patka
Hi Patka. Yes it was a couple of days ago about signs being used as you said. If you use the back roads ie from Albena to Varna or the route from Airport to Albena if there are any signs they are all faded. As for the roads. Go down the Sofia Motorway from Varna 20 miles then turn to Provadia there is more grass in the middle of the road than verge. carry on through the villages and you are met with large potholes and when it has been raining the have all the local Geese ,Turkey's all bathing in the pools. The Trunk Road is very uninteresting. Only 5 Years ago it was faster to use hard shoulder on Motorway than the two lanes. Tonyt.
Hi,

Try info@bulgariacarrent.comn for good rental service.

Or I think the website is http://www.bulgariacarrent.com

Brad
8) 8) 8)
Am thinking of getting a flight to Varna, getting a hire car and "winging it" down the black sea coast. Does anyone know whether it is best to book a car from this end over the internet or is it cheaper at the airport? Also any car hire firms you would recommend? Also, can anyone recommend a hotel to stay in for the 1st evening. I understand it is about 30 mins to Golden Sands.

Thanks in anticipation. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.