Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
We have recently returned from KL and I still don't know if the GaLS law apply when in transit. The Asian countries seem to interpret the laws any way like.

However, we decided not to chance it and took our allowance in our checked in luggage. (where I live we can purchase duty free on arrival and our limit is 2.5 ltr pp... so we have quite a stash) I bought a couple of those sturdy cardboard wine postal boxes and they fit in OK.

There is a duty free shop at Denpasar airport and you can buy on arrival, however, the choice is very limited.

Hope this helps.
thanks for that :cheers we live in the staffordshire area, wher did you manage to order and collect the duty free to be able to pack it in your luggage before you went through the passport control ?? :D :think
Sorry Alolone I've confused you. I shouldn't have started to explain why I have a cupboard full of alcohol :cheers I don't live in the UK. We are allowed to buy duty free on arrival into Australia :rofl so we tend to buy our allowance whether we need it or not. It comes in handy for when we travel to places like Malaysia where I'm unsure if it's going to be confiscated at the airport.

If you decide to take alcohol in your suitcase then of course it must be placed in your case before you check in at the airport.

Don't forget it's $25US per person for visa on arrival in Bali and 150000 roops pp departure tax. I've lost count of how many people were not aware of it.

We are back in Bali in May, also staying in Sanur but somewhere a lot lot cheaper. Our days of $200+ are well and truly over :cry

Enjoy the Santrian

Cheers Geri
Thanks for your time, thats made it clear, I think we will give the duty free a miss lol, tale extra Nescafe coffee instead :cry
Oh! No! I wouldn't go that far :yikes Just nip down the shops and grab some of your favourite tipple and shove it in your checked luggage.

Have you posted your question on Tripadvisor?... I think I did but I never got a proper answer :think

Cheers Geri
Hi Gerri,

Glad to hear you had a good time this holiday in Bali this holiday,hope you managed to keep all your bones intact ;)
The good news for me is that having broken a bone in my foot while there in september we're having to go back this year to see all the things we missed due to me being off my feet :( so we're booked Sept 11th :tongue

Some people will make any excuse.You are sooo lucky being so close to such a beautiful place :wave:
Manxcat
Hi Manxcat

September is a lovely time to visit Bali and glad to hear you're going back again. Where are you staying this time?

I don't think we'll go back to Bali the wet season again. Temp was ok at around 35c but the humidity was terrible, it was like having a 24 hour hot flush... however, it wasn't as hot as Melbourne when we got home at 44c :yikes

We didn't do much as the roads were gridlocked with cars from domestic tourists from Java, so we pretty much kept to the Legian area and kept out of the traffic. We are off to Bali in May, first going to Sanur for 7 nights then over to Kuta for the next 7 nights. I'm having second thoughts about the
Kuta hotel as it's not near the beach (plus other stuff) but we might have to like it or lump it as it will almost impossible to get another hotel at this late stage as Bali is definitely BACK :cheers

Then it's Phuket in October :sun2

Cheers Geri
Hi Geri

We,re going for 3 weeks,so we were thinking of breaking the traveling time & having about 3 days in Hong Kong(any advice on where to stay,tours etc.would be much appreciated)

Then we thought a few days Legian really enjoyed it there last year,then we are staying in Jimbaran for 2 weeks,can't wait to visit the fish restuarants.

Off to Goa in 4 weeks,so something to look forward to :sun2 and hope we get a decent summer here.

Manxcat
Hiya Manxcat

We have never been to Hong Kong so can't advise on account of ME being a really big wus and terrified of high rise buildings. Husband is OK and used to riding in outside cages up alongside high rise buildings during construction...me thinks he must have had his undies over his trousers :rofl

Over the last few years the restaurants in Jimbaran have been reduced in numbers. Sharkey's gets good reviews but watch them taxi drivers as they get a huge cut from dropping off clients. I still recall the last time we went and got ripped off big time (restaurant is no longer there... funny that) the scales are rigged. Take along a bottle of water and test the scales 500ml should read half a kilo. 1 litre is 1 kilo (I forgot the water :cry ) so got ripped off.

Would love to go to Goa... but toooo far for us Antipodean plebs.

Cheers Geri
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.