Spain - Canary Islands - Fuerteventura Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Fuerteventura.
duty free
23 Posts
Most 'duty free' stuff in the Canary Islands is cheaper in resort than at the airport. Don't forget - the Canaries are NOT in the EU, so you can only bring 200 cigs per adult back into the UK, and Customs Officers in the UK are often on the lookout for flights coming in from the Canaries 8)
agree with cyber
bought 400 cigs from shop in corralejo for 34 euro,s.same cigs at airport would have cost 42 euros :D
Please take note of cybers comments re customs.

We flew into Birmingham from Fuerteventura in April and had all our cigarettes confiscated. We hadn't realised that the canaries are not part of the EU. It was a shameful and embarrassing end to our holiday.

:smokin
Do not think you can trick them ever. When flying in from the Canaries at Stansted they x-ray your bags after you have collected them going through customs. Coming back from Tenerife I had a 200 carton and 80 loose. Luckily the customs guy let me off :oops:

When were in Caleta in January we strolled up to a Shopping complex which had a huge Spar. you could by a carton of 200 local brand for 3 euro! The prices were alot better than anywhere else in resort and airport, inc. the booze! :lol:
emma

I agree with you about customs they have the same set up at Leeds and East Midlands as well and are ruthless in their pursuit of ciggie smugglers......pity they arnt as efficious about drug smugglers.I came through T2 at Manchester last Weds night when flights were arriving from all sorts of places and there wasnt one customs officer on duty anywhere in the building!!..you just walked out..makes you wonder
How can they X-Ray your bags after you've collected them , did they stop you and then XRay it ?and if so did they stop everyone?
I march 2005 I arrived back from fuerteventura and there was no customs officers at all...but last night loads of them and lots of poor peeps had their cigs confiscated..I got through..but, my flamin kids left my booze whick i bought on the airplane on the back of the trolley as we left the airport :cry:
Spurry

Once we collected our bags we were sent through one of the customs channels. There was a guard directing people from our flight through. They had an x-ray machine set up and a security guard loaded our bags on whilst a customers officers looked at the images. It was a bit tlike going through security once you have checked in! Everyone was checked.

Paully

When we flew back from the DR a couple of years ago there were no guards at customs when we went through at Gatwick. it was 4am so perhaps they do not work that early but there serveral other international flights coming in at the same time so perhaps we were lower risk. I kicked myself at the time as I was a smoker and 200 malaborough lights were £5!!!! :x

Sandy_beaches

I have left my wallet in the pouch on the back of a seat on a Brittania plane before. Asked blokey to remind me, we both forgot! :roll:
Hi emma

Funniest I ever encountered was a couple of years ago arriving early evening at East Mids from Fuerteventura.As we waited for the bags could see loads of customs waiting to pounce.Problem was the adjacent carousels were from flights within the EU and we all started to go thro customs at the same time.It was like Fawlty Towers....they were running round like scalded cats trying to see which destination people had come from and had this new x ray machine at the ready,all champing at the bit and they were so officious most people on our flight said they had come from elsewhere.Because they were so busy trying to cover so many people they hadnt time to question you and everyone just walked out.You couldnt have made it up :D :D :D
hi to all :wave going to furtventura in april, can anyone tell if i am able to buy my drink to take home allowance. a in the resort, b in the airport, and,c on the plane on the way home,...i.e can i buy three lots and still be legal.....would wellcome any comments or ideas on this subject... :) regards ..johndoe
Hi John

Bad news i`m afraid,you are only allowed one set of duty free,regardless of where you purchased them.Which is one litre of spirits etc per person.The canary Islands have a different status to that of mainland Spain.
Would suggest that you shop around in the resort and buy them there.Will be cheapest.
have a good holiday
hi to you ..paully :) thanks for the info,what a great pity :( :cry: :cry: i was hoping to get a bargain with three lots :cry: :cry: ...thats life i suppose.....regards and thanks again....johndoe
The duty free allowances from the Canary Islands are as follows:

200 Cigarettes or 100 Cigarillos or 50 Cigars or 250g Smoking Tobacco

2 litres Wine (still table wine)
1 litre Spirits (strong liqueurs over 22% volume) or 2 litres Fortified or Sparkling Wine/other liqueurs

Pure perfume 60cc/ml
Toilet water 250cc/ml
All other goods (including gifts and souvenirs) £145
hi cyber... :wave thanks for info, i was hoping i could buy three lots but i can not,never mind :cry: ...regards ..johndoe
I got caught bringing pack 1000 fags from Lanzarote, but got away with 600 from Egpyt. It's all about risk, say is £40 for 200 cigs and in Futurventure its £20 for 200, take 600 back for £60, £20 risk. (They allow you to keep your offical allowance). I will take the risk again;.
Hi,
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but does anyone know what the limit is for bringing back cigarettes and alcohol?
I thought that the Canary Islands would be the same as the rest of Europe but it appears that's not the case.

Thanks......... :)
Lexie...3 posts above you is the answer :)
Thanks Sandy beaches........I had posted under a new topic as I didn't know where to put the question but one of the mods must have moved it for me.
:)
ive been naughty :wink: just walked through manchester with 23 sleeves of ciggys
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.