General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
E tickets
19 Posts
our last few hols we were not given tickets in travel agents. Just looks like confirmation, thats all you need to check in
I prefer e-tickets as you don't actually need them to check in, all you need is your passport.

After years of only having e-tickets, it was a surprise to get a booklet with tickets when we went on a package with TC earlier this year. We could have had a major problem as I almost forgot to take the booklet as I was so used to not needing one.

luci :wave
My daughter booked last week to go see her dad in USA next week.. her flights are e-tickets and she is so so worried! We both looked at the confirmation email and we are thinking "is that it?!" .. doesn't feel real at all! but I guess it is what it is!

CourtneeLouise xx
For 37 years taking package hols, I always used to look forward to the magic day when the holiday tickets arrived.
And it got better when Thomson and TC started providing neat little booklets containing resort info, tickets, and luggage labels.
When you have already paid hundreds, sometimes thousands, of pounds, and it isn't all going to happen for four more weeks – or “28 sleeps” as some folk put it
– it was a nice little thing to hang the dreams on.

But no more.
I know TC and TUI are trying really hard to cut costs to the bone.
And I understand why in the ghastly “austerity decade” we all seem to live in now.
But, really, really, the booklets must cost around one/two UK pounds to print and mail.
On a holiday costing hundreds or thousands of pounds – does the saving justify the loss of fun??
And - FUN – folks, is what holidays are supposed to be about.

What does anyone else think?
PS I'm not a luddite – I'm actually an ex-nerd who retired after 40+ years working in the depths of IT.
So computers and bloody E-Tickets do work for me. I just don't like them.
I'm not long back from Benidorm and I booked a package with Thomson, which is something I haven't done for a while...anyway...
Personally, I'm not bothered either way, just as long as that piece of paper allows me on the plane. First you get the confirmation email and then nearer the date you get the same info again, except it has the words 'e-ticket' on the top....why do something twice.?
But I then got through the post a colourful pamphlet type letter/document... it's hard to describe what it would be classed as, it certainly wasn't like the old booklets that had info about the resort/area, your tickets and luggage labels, and years ago even a plan of the plane (seating).

I nearly binned it because it was delivered with a load of junk that day, and there really wasn't a lot to seperate it in appearance from the junk, but I looked at it and thought.....
What a waste of a tree/postage and why send me this telling me how to 'manage my bookings' etc, when all the other stuff had been done on-line....it kinda defeats the object sending this to someone who has booked on-line, who is obviously quite capable of reading and following the instructions IE: 'click here to add API or 'click here to manage your bookings'.
But I suppose it's keeping some printers in work and it gave them another opportunity to try and flog car hire etc.:que

Sanji
I rang the firm that i booked my holiday through making a general enquiry and was told that i would be receiving e-tickets that they would print off and forward to me , they are ready but they are having a problem so i might not receive them until 2 weeks before departure, thats not so bad , but i would rather see the ticket in my inbox , i have printed off my seat and extra luggage ticket all i need now is my flight and accommodation tickets and i know i'm on my way . Have always had my tickets in a booklet before
Must admit I liked the old fashioned ticket book that Thomson used to supply it had lots of information in it too - on the flip side you get all that information on the Thomson site when logging into your own booking and tells you about the resort etc probably more information than was in the book but yep I miss the tickets
We too were disappointed when our tickets arrived via an email as we were used to a little folder with labels etc in it, but the thing that flummoxed us with the new Thomson way of doing things was the self-serve check in at Gatwick. We had never used it before and because we arrived stressed, we managed to make a meal out of the whole process. Once we had cancelled the process and properly read the instructions, check-in was really easy. The boarding cards were not cards at all more like a receipt you receive when you have just paid for something. When we handed in our suitcases we only needed to show our passports as the email confirmation wasn't asked for.
We booked a holiday for July 2013 and we have already had our E Tickets! We haven't even paid for the holiday yet. I really don't like them at all :-(
I rarely travel with a TC and until last year it must have been 10 years or more since I received tickets for a holiday. I'm so used to booking online and just producing my passport at airport and name at hotels that I was surprised when I booked a holiday to Portugal with a TC and received a whole load of stuff in the mail. Tickets for the flight, vouchers for the hotel and worst of all a booklet telling me about the area. Why did I need the booklet, I wouldn't have chosen the resort if I hadn't done extensive research before booking. I just thought it a waste of money and paper.

So I'm one of those that thinks E-tickets are a great way of cutting down on excess paperwork, it's hard enough to remember to take my passport without having to remember a load of other stuff. :cheers
You're not alone Judith although at first I did miss the excitement of having the booklet drop through the letterbox, it's far simpler just with a reference number. Or sometimes, if I've checked in on line I just need to take my printed 'boarding cards'.
Yes, I've just printed out my boarding cards for flights to the UK next Friday.

Weather forecast once again is for rain most of the week that we will be there. :offtop sorry
and worst of all a booklet telling me about the area. Why did I need the booklet, I wouldn't have chosen the resort if I hadn't done extensive research before booking.

But not everyone's like that!
Chivas69 wrote:
and worst of all a booklet telling me about the area. Why did I need the booklet, I wouldn't have chosen the resort if I hadn't done extensive research before booking.

But not everyone's like that!

Of course not, that's why we are discussing the topic, but I still can't understand people not researching a holiday destination before booking. There is so much information at our fingertips these days, for example here on HT there is a mine of information. To me the research can be just as much fun as the holiday itself.
Me too Judith but hubby says he likes a surprise- doesn't want me telling him what's around the next corner when we're away :rofl
My hubby is exactly the same,would rather wait and see when he gets there,he says.A couple of years ago I booked a really good 5* in Turkey,when we arrived he said "b----y h-ll" we've had a right result here. :rofl I had researched it for weeks,read reviews,looked at their website etc; I directed him to their website but he didn't bother looking.He still doesn't understand we holidayed in a stunning hotel because I did my research first. :D
Sorry, I went :offtop I'm not bothered either way about tickets or E tickets,as long as I get my holiday :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.