France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
E111 card
9 Posts
I trust you also have travel insurance as the EHIC card is not an alternative.?

It is no longer an E111, but an EHIC. If you need emergency medical treatment in an EU country, but do not have your card to get it free, you have to pay for it. However I believe you can claim this money back on return to the UK provided you have kept the receipts. Unfortunately I do not know who or where you send it to.

More information HERE and HERE

luci :wave
This does not answer your question Amber, but a good tip is, once you find it or replace it.

Scan it along with your passports and any other travel documents, and store them in your email account. That way, if you lose any when abroad, all you need to do is log into your email account from anywhere, and download them. I also take copies with me, but keep in different place from originals.

baz.
If you are a visitor from the EC and need health treatment in France you will have to present your EHIC card - known as a CEAM here - or you will be charged in full. You should ask your doc for a FEUILLE DE SOINS - (fur duh s-wan-s) and hope you can get a refund on it with your card from the CPAM - Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie.

Now if you don't have your card, but do have your passport, a doc may take pity on you, but no guarantees. The cost of a GP consultation is currently 22 € and medicine will be charged at the value given on the sticker, so although you won't be able to claim it back without your EHIC card, you are unlikely to be taken for a ride.

My suggestion is to bring adequate OTC - over the counter - meds from the UK ....... immodium, indigestion relief, travel sickness tabs, paracetamol, ibuprofen, migraleve etc, because we cannot purchase many of these without a prescription here, and the drugs cost more. You might see if your doc will 'advance' you some antibiotics 'just in case' as you don't have your EHIC card. And don't forget the Calpol (even though it attracted some interesting reports in today's press) and other meds for your little 'uns.

If you are in danger of running out of prescribed meds whilst over here, try to bring the original prescription and packaging so that the doc/pharmacist can prescribe you more of the same in emergency. Incidentally, unless the French doc specifies the trade name of a drug - and writes NS (nom specifique) on the prescription, you will automatically be given the generic version ...... like all French people (costs less and the Govt will reimburse it in full).

Please stay healthy!! And apply on line for your EHIC card as soon as you can. Please note that the card is only valid for 12 months, and you need to reapply ..... 'they' will not remind you!
Alsacienne wrote:

Please note that the card is only valid for 12 months, and you need to reapply ..... 'they' will not remind you!

Good post as always Alsacienne, but the EHIC card is valid for 3 years and not 12 months. However it's true that you have to remember to renew it as there is no reminder sent.

luci :wave
Thanks all yes I have insurance through my bank and i have all the medication I need but I will apply for a replacement and photocopy it cheers. :tup
Oh Luci I am green with envy! This shows just how un-united the EC is!! Ours here in France is only valid for ONE year!!! Glad you get 3 years' peace of mind xxxxxxx
Alsacienne wrote:
My suggestion is to bring adequate OTC - over the counter - meds from the UK ....... immodium, indigestion relief, travel sickness tabs, paracetamol, ibuprofen, migraleve etc, because we cannot purchase many of these without a prescription here, and the drugs cost more.
quote]

Alsacienne wrote:
Oh Luci I am green with envy! This shows just how un-united the EC is!! Ours here in France is only valid for ONE year!!! Glad you get 3 years' peace of mind xxxxxxx

Alsacienne

You are right about drug costs I have been checking when away stuff that we pay pence for in the UK cost 3-4 times more in France AND Spain
Paracetamol and Ibuprofen are the main ones folk use here and they cost a lot more, whereas as a Nurse I can buy some things that ordinary folk can't when in France very strange that in the UK no chance of preferential treatment

And it makes a change that our EHIC cards last longer than yours, though I'm just wondering when our money grabbing so&so's of a government will start charging for them
My German E111 card is only valid for 6months :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.