General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I'm the same Helen ,always have to be there early as I like to be checked in and hopefully always be seated together,I love walking round the airport browsing the shops etc,I'm like a big kid :oops: .

Also hate being one of the first to board the plane as it seems to drag waiting for others to board so tend to hang back,I'm panicking this time when we go as we have not pre-booked seats (never have) but it seems to be the thing now ,just hope me.my partner and kids are together so I will probably be at the airport 3-4 hrs before check in,sad I know
This is the first time we've pre booked, and it really was against my principles to do so. However, when we went to the Dominican Republic as a group of 6 last year, even though we were at the front of the queue, we couldn't be seated together, as so many had pre booked. To me, it's just another way of getting us to part with more money. It's only hubby & I going this time, but I really don't want to be seated apart for 4 hours.
I wish we had of pre-booked now but we have always hit lucky and always been seated together,but you watch this time we wont :( ,well if it happens it happens,just hope they will seat one of my kids with me and the other with her dad
i always pay for priority boarding with ryanair/easyjet as i want a seat in the exit row, preferably 1A, so i can stretch my legs. for this reason i am usually one of the first at the boarding gate.
if i fly BA, then i am one of the last on, as my seat is booked- always an aisle seat-so i have no reason to rush.
We are the same - get there earlier than we need to.
My holiday begins once our bags have been checked in, wander around the shops, have something to eat, watch the TV monitors etc.
We have booked seats again this year 4 of us travelling out and 3 on way back - wasn't going to bother until I learnt that the seating is 3-3-3 and I don't like sitting in the middle 3.
Irene
Exactly the same as you Helen- First at cheque-in and last on the plane :D I've never been called on the tanoy yet though :rofl
Have to get there early, so as Mrs CW an do her shopping!
Early for us as well. holiday starts when we get the suitcases away. Booked seats together this year and will probably do so for next year.

Garry
Early Bird usually....but a few weeks ago had a 6am flight and we thought the motorway would be clear, so no rush,
but the journey to the airport took longer than normal due to roadworks! At check- in there was a long queue, so had no time to have breakfast, relax etc, never again as I hate being rushed.
One good thing, managed to get leg room seats on Easyjet, one on each side, even though we were almost last on the plane and had not booked speedy boarding. :tup
Early bird, not only because of potential queues to get through security, but also because we probably have at least an hour's journey ahead of us from leaving home to get to the airport, and don't want any traffic holdups to cost us our journey!! Plus a chance to visit the shops, get a cuppa and read the paper!
Got to be there early , like the atmosphere of being at the airport , seeing those that are in their comfy travelling clothes and others who think they are on a catwalk , ( nothing wrong with that ) . Love getting rid of the luggage , looking in the shops , maybe have a bite to eat and a few drinkies , hate it when they call the flight , as i want to go on holiday but just hate getting there
hate it when they call the flight , as i want to go on holiday but just hate getting there

that's a weird feeling Lindy - I'm the same as you. :que I find the run up to the holiday as exciting as the holiday itself. Of course as soon as you arrie there the time just flies, and before long you're back to earth with a bang :cry
before long you're back to earth with a bang

Please could you re-phrase the above quotation as us nervous flyers don't like the wording? ;)

Rosalyn
Me 2

I fly at 06.40 on thurs, and just booked the taxi for 3.15am, to manchester airport, we only live 15 mins away, so we will be there over 3 hours before they open check in,.fly with thomsons malaga so Im sure it will be packed as i know the flight is full, we are normally 1st there, in queue, as its me,mum and sister and get seats together and ofcourse now they have them scanners, i know there checking random so I want to be there early, to 1;get cases away, then I can hit the duty free, for my perfume, and my ysl radient stick,wh smith for my water and magazines and then for some brekkie, we will need food as we havent paid for flight food this year...il probably hit franky and bennys it opens at 4 am at manchester airport, and they do a full english brekkie...very excited now, and of too carry on with my packing..so much to get in this flippin case its untrue..:O) :sun2
I like to be there early, hubby is never early but when it comes to holidays he is there.

We are always there long before check in.

When going to Vegas we were leaving the house at 3am and the roads were so clear we were at the airport about an hour before check in.

I love getting rid of the cases then we can browse the shops and have something to eat.

Helen
I absolutely hate airports. The crowds, the noise the queues etc., In the past I left it till the last possible minute before getting there. Probably because between 1991 and 2005 I was flying to the UK every few weeks and the thought of wasting time hanging round for hours waiting for my flights just drove me nuts. I guess I was lucky never to have missed a flight.

Nowadays I don't fly so often and because of increased security usually aim to get to the airport about two hours before the flight. If possible I always check in on line and when travelling to the UK usually just have hand luggage, so I can just walk straight through to departures. I might have a walk through Duty Free but rarely buy anything other than a couple of books. Most of the airlines that I travel with provide either a snack or a meal, though I do often take a sandwich because quality of meals provided is often not very good. So apart from maybe a cup of coffee I don't buy any food.

The Holiday doesn't start for me until I leave the airport at my destination, unless of course I'm travelling business class which is a totally different experience.

I've got eight flights coming up over the next couple of months and I'm already irritated about them, but if I want to travel I have got to put up with the (to me) bad bits.

Judith
We check in about 2 hours before the flight. Gives us enough time to have some brekkie and a couple of drinkies!!
shirley h wrote:
I've never been called on the tanoy yet though
I have and it's really embarassing. Hubby and I decided to pop to the bathroom before going to the gate. We were called when we were in there :whoops
Early bird. Always book a taxi three hours before flight is due to leave, even though we are only 20 mins from Airport. Just in case....traffic is busy, car gets a flattie, taxi is late a hole suddenly opens up in the road... :yikes Just like to have plenty time to look round duty free.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.