Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Probably not but I would take one just in case Helen . Some stretches of the coast can get more evening breeze than others.

I'm just hoping occupancy improves over there before easter because by the sound of it many hotels are closing up whilst it's quiet and those that are still open are shutting some of their resturants.
Hopefully, things will have got better by then Lyn, as things settle down. I would imagine that Easter is a busy time in Egypt, as you're virtually guaranteed good weather. It would be interesting to know how many people have cancelled their holidays there this year.
I'm still not sure if/when other nationalities will be back . :que
Well I certinly hope that hotel restaurants will be open, as we're on AI, and the holiday wasn't cheap!!
I have heard that other nationalities are slowly heading back to Sharm throughout March, though not in large numbers.
Lets hope so Vic.

Most hotels have a number of restuarants Helen and reading through reviews many seem to be condensing down to a limited number opening .

Hopefully heading towards Easter it will be getting busier again .
I think you will probably be OK Lyn as occupancy is normally pretty high over Easter. The year I went to the Holiday Village it was at 100% for one of the Easter weeks :really , so i would imagine even if they are only 30-40% at the moment the Easter two weeks they will go up to 60% or so. I'm hoping that they will re-open a lot of things for Easter and maybe keep some of them open as I assume they will have to call back a lot of the staff they have sent home to Cairo. At the moment though I think I read somewhere that at the HSB the restaurants in the old side are closed and they are using the ones in the new side - dont know if that makes sense to you as you have been before - but I reckon it will change at Easter and as the others all start gradually coming back.
That's what made me look a little closer last night Chris. Read a few reviews on HSB (couple of iffy ones again) and noticed they had closed down the main buffet on the old side which is the one we always use and that only a couple of pools were being heated .

Not too overly concerned at this stage as it does get a high proportion of English guests over Easter .
I think you probably read the same ones as I did.

Part of me thinks great it wont be crowded, but then I was also thinking if its 50% occpancy and 50% of the bars and restarants are closed it will be as packed as normal :rofl Who knows really its just specualtion as usual.

I am at that point where I just can't be bothered to worry about it too much either

It's a few weeks away as well so things can still change.
One of the few thing that will bother me is if they have stopped doing the blanket mossie spraying that a lot of the better hotels do. Read a report saying they aren't doing it at HSB at the moment, maybe they cant get the stuff. It makes a difference and deters them from the hotel area, so then if you put your own stuff on as well, its less likely you get bit by the litle blighters.
hmm . Cant say I've ever seen them do it Chris . Well not in the smoke type I see a lot in Turkey.

They must be though because I've never been bitten .Then again i've never been bitten anywhere in Egypt so maybe they only appear at certain times of year. I'm a bit confused because arn't mozzies attracted by stagnant water . Can't see there being much call for that in Egypt when theres never any rain . :think

Assuming they do it maybe it was in very short supply and only doing it when really necessary .
I read a recent review of HSB that said people were being bitten :( and when they enquired the suposition was that it was because they weren't currently spraying.

The first year I went and stayed at the Crowne Plaza, (now re-named to something else) on the far garden reef there were a lot of people with mozzie bites, but the hotel did have a lot of foliage, lush landscaping and some water features running through the grounds, so maybe the water was the cause, didnt notice it at ras um sid or Nabq though.

Think I will just go prepared with avon stuff as a preventative and deet stuff for if its bad, probably worrying unecessarily as you say there is nowhere near the amount of natural greenery outside of the hotels grounds like there is on the Turquoise coast of Turkey.
I've just read 4 or 5 new reviews for our hotel, written by people who stayed there during February. All reviews are great, so hopefully we don't need to worry.
It's a well established hotel Helen . I can't see you having any problems there and I dont think Chris and I will have either .
I'm not a fan of cold water :yikes Will the accommodation pools and sea be of a reasonable temperature to swim in at Easter?
Hi Helen

The sea should not be bad and actually quite warm, certainly warm enough for swimming / snorkelling, in addition the Tropicana Grand Azure has a small heated pool so you will be fine there :tup
Chuff me..we was hoping that there might be some bargains to be had within the diving industry so we could grab a week so we dont end up going a full year without a holiday..talk about silly prices...you would think the diving industry would be trying hard to bring people back..

quoted absolutely silly prices......

:( don't look like we are going anywhere at the minute as we simply cant afford it..what with the biggie to NZ (taking in the USA, Australia and Hong Kong too) and having a new bathroom fitted..we are having to work every other weekend on the lorries to save up and pay for it all! (savings account now almost empty thanks to bathroom and deposit :( )
That's the trouble Val. You hear all about the supposed bargains but when you try to find one yourself . No chance . Half the time I think it's all just rumour .

I dont sppose they will lower prices for the Autumn yet and No doubt now Easter is drawing close and the weather has turned nice more people will get in the holiday mood and book .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.