Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Pat, we'll be there in Nov/Dec...

Have a great time!!

ATB,J.
Hi ATB,J.,

Seems so near and yet so far away LOL! ........ hope you have a great holiday too.

Pat
We're going in a few weeks time.

Will post a report when back.

Mark :)
Hi Mark,

Look forward to hearing all about it when you get back ....... have a great time!

Could I ask you a favour if you don't mind. We have booked a swim up suite and have requested block 39 as it has been recommended to me. Would you mind checking out the location of this block and giving me your opinon on it when you return.

Pat
Many thanks Mark ......... appreciate it.

Pat
Hi Pat,

As promised, I had a look at the rooms and they are situated in the centre of the resort, close to the central bar and and 3 of the 5 restaurants. The rooms overlook the busiest of the swim up bars.

I've taken a couple of pictures.

View of the rooms from the swim up bar:

http://i50.tinypic.com/xde8ow.jpg

and the view from the room to the swim up bar:

http://i48.tinypic.com/23rmp6x.jpg

Will do a more comprehensive review later but if you've got any questions in the meantime, just ask.

One thing for sure... you'll love it!!!

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for getting back to me ..... really appreciate it!

I take it you enjoyed the EDSS, and I hope the weather was kind to you?

The photo of the swim up rooms ....... is that block 39? If so might be a bit to near the bar for my liking! Did you happen to have any photos of the other swim up bar, as I believe it is quieter around that area? We do like to mix with other people when on holiday, but at the same time don't really want to be somewhere that gets too loud, if you know what I mean LOL!

Yes, if you don't mind I have a few questions for you?
* Did you use the Thomson transfer coach or did you book a private transfer ...... we are thinking of booking Lomas Travel?
* Arrival At Cancun ...... was it mayhem or was it easy going, how long did it take you to get through and can you pay the Exit Tax in USD (we have quite a lot of USD left over from a previous trip to Aruba)
* Did you book any trips whilst there, if so did you book with Thomson or Lomas and can the trips be paid with USD?
* Tipping ..... Whilst we always tip for good service nomatter where we go, I've been reading a post on TA, and at times it got quite heated LOL! It appears that the Amercians (in a lot of cases) seem to tip anyone that walks LOL! Did you find this at the EDSS, and if you don't mind me asking, what and how did you tip?

Anything else that you can think of that may help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Pat
Hi Pat,

When I took the above pictures, the swim up bar was quite loud because a large group of Americans arrived and they were quite exiting. Other days it was very quite. Yes the picture is of the 39 block of rooms. I didn't take a picture of the other swim up room bar but it was almost always deserted so very quite.

Other than two days of rain (the second of our 14 days and the one from last) the other 12 days were absolutely fine weather wise.

* Did you use the Thomson transfer coach or did you book a private transfer ...... we are thinking of booking Lomas Travel?

We went with the transfer bus. It took just over the hour on the way to the hotel (1st drop off) but two hours on the way back (3 further pick ups). The coach (it is a large bus) is comfortable and on the way to the hotel they sell drinks on board.

* Arrival At Cancun ...... was it mayhem or was it easy going, how long did it take you to get through and can you pay the Exit Tax in USD (we have quite a lot of USD left over from a previous trip to Aruba)

Arrival wasn't mayhem because we were first off the plane (premium section) so no queue to immigration and the cases arrived fairly quick. You will need to complete another form and your suitcases are scanned before you leave the airport. Ignore everybody claiming to be from Thomson and walk to the rep who has a sign outside the terminal building.

You can pay the exit tax in Pesos, USD or even Sterling.

* Did you book any trips whilst there, if so did you book with Thomson or Lomas and can the trips be paid with USD?

We did three trips and you can pay in USD, Pesos, UK Sterling or credit/debit card. We booked with the Thomson rep

* Tipping ..... Whilst we always tip for good service nomatter where we go, I've been reading a post on TA, and at times it got quite heated LOL! It appears that the Amercians (in a lot of cases) seem to tip anyone that walks LOL! Did you find this at the EDSS, and if you don't mind me asking, what and how did you tip?

We tipped small amounts. 20 Pesos a time (about £1). Once a day to the beach waitiress (if we stayed on the beach), usually for dinner and sometimes on the evening to the bar waiter. We tipped about £3 to £4 per day. We left 200 Pesos for the cleaning lady (about £10) at the end the holiday. To put it in perspective - we were told that staff earn an average of 65 pesos per day (about £3.50) so small tips are really appreciated. Again, we gave a 20 Pesos tip for room service. We certainly didn't tip each time somebody brought us something as where ever you sit, within minutes somebody will be around to offer you a drink.

Fire along with more questions if you have them.

Hi Mark,

Very helpful information ..... thank you!

Apart from the fact that block 39 is near to the main swim up bar, it looks like there isn't much privacy. Would you know if there are any swim up rooms which would give more privacy than others?

Now, I realise that the hotel is cut out into the jungle but, did you have any problems with bugs in you room and did you see any spiders around the resort ....... I have a megga phobia of spiders!! if I were to see one the whole resort would know about it LOL!

Best wishes,
Pat
All of the swim up rooms didn't look private at all. They can all be seen from the path and of course by those swimming in the bit in front of the rooms. We had a garden view room in the 1700 block (near to reception) and nobody could look into our room. I guess the swim up rooms towards the end of the block would have most of the privacy.

You are in the jungle and yes there are creepy crawlies around. There is a netted door covering the patio door that keeps them out and we had nothing in the room. You will find all sorts walking on the paths that lead to the amenities though.

Just one thing - if you've been to Aruba (Tamarijn?) the beach will disappoint. If you could pick up the Eldorado (including all their fabulous staff) and drop it on the Tamarijn beach you will most probably have the best hotel in the world!

Hi Mark,

Think I will take another look at the location of the rooms and perhaps change my request.

Haven't got a problems with creepies crawlies in general .... just SPIDERS!! Did you see any?

Yes, we stayed at the Tam, but to be quite honest I'm not really a beach person, although my husband is, but I prefer the pool. When we stayed at the Tam, we tended to use the pool behind block 22 (I think)

My husband wanted to go back to the Tam this year, but although I enjoyed the the Tam, I found it a bit of a pain having to queue up to book the a la cartes and did think that the hotel was in need of any overhaul.

Best wishes,
Pat
My better half is scared of spiders and she didn't say anything so I guess you will be relatively save.

No worries about queuing to make bookings for restaurants at the El Dorado. The most we had to wait was 20 minutes one night and that was going at peak time (about 8PM). We usually went to dinner at 7PM and no queue to get in any of the restaurants.

Besides, if they do ask you to wait they will ask you sit in the bar where you will be promptly served a drink.

No spiders ..... thank God LOL!

No doubt I will think of more questions for you before August.

Thanks again Mark!

Best wishes,
Pat
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.