EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi Tush,

There are 3 places named Elhovo to the West/South-West of Sunny Beach, 1 town in Yambol province & 2 villages near Stara Zagora (none of which are especially close to the Turkish border, but the town in Yambol is probably the closest). The village of Granitovo (which also has a namesake in the North-West of Bulgaria, near Belogradchik) is near the town of Elhovo in Yambol province.

You'll find some general information about Yambol province HERE, and click the following names for some information on the town of Elhovo & village of Granitovo.

Afraid that I can't recommend any particular areas in the South - my own preference is for North-East Bulgaria.

Baldur
Hi Baldur

Thanks for the info I shall follow it up and also look at tha north east area I am very open to ideas just want a nice peaceful countryside to explore and a little bar or two to relax in.

Tush
My brother lives in Tenevo which is midway between Elhovo and Yambol. It was ok to visit for a week but I couldn't live there. Yambol and Elhovo would be my choice as you've got more life and diversity to keep you going. There's plenty of Brit's in the village and one, Tom, has his own website. Drop him a line and he'll gladly help (alifeinbulgaria). Oh, and if you're going to buy, buy off a local as the estate agents nearly double the price the owner gets.

Anything else I can help you with...ask away.
Hi Itsmma,

Thanks for the info, very helpful, I have had a look on the web you suggested its just what I am looking for, all I have to do now is find a realistic flight price to Bourgas the webs Ive looked at are quoting £1000 + for a flight out in May!
If you know of any cheap or reasonable priced flights please let me know.

Thanks again I will let you know how I get on.

Tush
skyscanner is about the best to look for flights as it gives the lo-cost airlines as well.

I live in Liverpool and we ended up using Wizz from Luton to Bourgas as it was cheaper for the 3 of us than flying from Manchester. Mid stay parking worked out at £56 for the week at Luton and as the flight was 5am we had a clear run from here.
I would advise that thorough research be done before looking anywhere for property in Bulgaria, and THIS website could be a starting point. We are very good at Holiday Truths giving advice regarding holidays in Bulgaria, and indeed, most of the world, but not property purchase in Bulgaria.

Very few visitors to Bulgaria go further than the Black Sea resorts, but this is not the real Bulgaria. It could be likened to Disneyland, so far is it removed from life in towns and villages away from the coast, and even the suburbs of Varna for those who know Golden Sands or Albena in the north.

Be aware that property is being offered for sale in villages no real Bulgarian would touch with a barge pole, in areas which are predominantly settled by Turks and gypsies. To us this may appear racist, but it is the history and nature of Bulgaria where divisions run deep.

These areas are poor, so what happens when a rich (by Bulgarian standards) foreigner does up house, fits a kitchen, buys appliances and furniture, then returns home to the UK? I know of a case where not even the roof tiles were left.

I advise extreme caution caveat emptor was never more apt.

Peter
I agree that life in the villages is far from life in Sunny Beach. I've described to friends and family that life in Tenevo for the locals is hand to mouth. Everyone has livestock, goats, sheep, pigs, cows, donkeys and horses, even bees. Looking out from my bedroom balcony through the abundant grapes on the vines I could see all of the above animals in different neighbours gardens. You paint a bad picture of poverty and crime, I can catagorically say that there was none in evidence in Tenevo. There are gypsies (who were very friendly), but no Turks. I would say that the locals in Tenevo live comfortably as many work in the local Palfinger factory and there's a co-operative for the harvesting of grapes, fruit and veg. My brother and sister-in-law absolutely love it there. They are friends with lots of ex-pat's but are better friends with Bulgarian's. They're always out on the front, sitting on benches, talking and conversing through charades. Their neighbours have bent over backwards in helping them do their garden and repairs around the house and don't take a leva as in their own words, friends help friends. I agree with the procede with caution message that you're putting across and that's why I said to contact Tom who has a business there as it's better hearing all this from a person living there. If tush wants I will PM my brother's email and you can get another persons perspective that lives there. In fact, if you're on Skype, I'll give you his Skype address and you can talk for nothing for as long as you like. Again, any questions, ask away.
As this topic is predominantly about moving to Bulgaria, I shall now move it to the Ex-Pats forum.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.