Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Hi Jean,

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with your car hire. We also returned from Chania a few weeks ago and had an entirely different experience with our car. For our last few holidays we have used Economy Car Rentals, who use local car hire firms (in this case Sunny). Their prices are good and fully inclusive with no excess. They were waiting for us at the airport and the paperwork was sorted out and we were on our way, with no hassle in the type of car we ordered.

To be honest I'm not bothered about the odd scrape on a car in Greece, as long as the condition is acknowledged at the pick up time, it means they are less likely to make a fuss if you add another scrape, which is quite possible in Greece with the state of some roads! The main thing is that it is sound mechanically.

Glad it didn't spoil your holiday. Crete is lovely and we had a great time.

All the best, Maria
Hi Maria

Thanks for that. We have used Economy Car Rentals in the past when we were at Stoupa and they were okay. Better try them again next time I think.

Glad you had a great time. We did a too. It's a lovely part of Greece.

Yiamass, Jean
we used Anna Cars in stallis in June and they were great. dropped the nearly new jeep at the hotel without extra charge
Sorry to hear of your troubles with Eurocar, but felt I had to write about Hertz as well.

We had a fantastic holiday in Crete would go back tomorrow if I could, but would definitely never again book with Hertz. We booked our car through First Choice and booked a saloon car that could hold a few cases. On arrival at the airport we were told they did not have the car we booked (though confirmed on our car voucher!!) which was a Hyundai Accent but offered us a Nissa Micra which were not happy about as had smaller boot space for our cases. As it was 4.00 am in the morning and we were very tired decided to take the car and take it up with the First Choice Rep on arrival at the hotel. The guy at the airport advised though it was pitch black that the cars condition was good which again we had to take his word as we couldn't see the condition of the car at that time in the morning!! How the car made it to the hotel I don't know as it was in a poor state mechancially wise, making horrendous noises throughout the one hour 30 minute journey to the hotel, not to mention the poor condition of the car, with dents and scuffs all over the bodywork.

On arrival at hotel we phoned the rep who was not the least bit interested to hear we had an mechanically impaired car and advised us to deal with it ourselves. We rang the Hertz office in Agios Nikolas and spoke a really lovely guy by the name of George. My husband explained our predicament and he promised us he would deliver a new car to us within the hour. He kept his promise and the new car was delivered without any fuss at all. George was extremely apologetic.

This is now the second time I have ordered a car through First Choice and been let down so will most definitely not being doing that again.

We never saw the rep once and she didn't even have the courtesy to contact us to see if we sorted our car out.
I regularly hire cars all over europe including Crete. I just do it all when i get there. You can choose the car and it all gets sorted on the spot in accordance with your requirements. My philosophy?.....think global but always, always act local!
I'm off to Western Crete next week and will hire when I get there.
Hi Richard

Do you hire at the airport then or do you get to resort first? I was worried there would be no cars available at the airport.

Enjoy your hols.
Yiamass, Jean
Hi Jean,
You'll always pay more at the airport but availability is rarely a problem....because they all want to make money! In the resort you can shop around for the best deals and you're generally in a much stronger position. Remember though that everyone is brother or cousin to everyone else and they all meet up in the winter to sort their terms for the coming season! Local companies will be cheaper than Avis, Herz etc. I know a good guy in Agia Marina near Chania.....does that help you?
Let me know.
Thanks Richard

Unfortunately our holidays are over for this year. Thank you very much for your advice though.

Have a good time.
Yiamass Jean
I regularly travel to Crete and would never use the BIG BOYS rental companies. I always go local. I recommend 'Autoclub' who always give me and friends a really good price. Whether its Chania or Heraklion airport. Their cars are always well maintained and new or a couple of years old..... never older. (+30) 28250 or 32382, ask to speak to Eva or the boss Carlos. mention Mr Warwick recommended you contact them. ;)

That might give me a good rate next time I book. Ha

best of luck
john
  • Edited by Johngw 2008-09-06 17:18:16
I forgot to say that Autoclub rentals deliver to the airport. So its really convenient for you to pick it up and drop off. They are very reliable too. They are based in western Crete. Kalives and Almerida but still willing to deliver a car to Heraklion airport.
OK
J
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.