The following account is true - you could not make it up.

Our families were flying home to Newcastle last night at 23.55. I checked the Aena website yesterday to find it had changed to 1.25am today. I then called the confirmation number to check and they told me 23.55 which I questioned and they were adament.

We arrived with them at the airport last night at 9pm to find that it was in fact going at 1.25am. Our family rang us later to say that it had been then delayed until 2.30am. We stayed up at home and I kept checking the Aena website to find that they actually left at 2.45am.

I rang the airport confirmation number this morning to give them a piece of my mind about giving out incorrect information. During the course of the conversation I discovered that as of now they are all still on the island and delayed until tonight. They could not tell me where they were but using my detective skills I found out they are at the Paradise Park in Los Cristianos.

We have just been to see them all and are angry at how they have all been treated.

They were given nothing to eat and found that everything in the airport closed at 3am. They eventually boarded the plane at 4.45am and sat an hour on the tarmac. Then they were told they were going to Gatwick and not Newcastle. 3 Passengers refused to go so had to be offloaded and their luggage found. After all this the crew declared themselves out of hours and cancelled the flight.

They eventually got into an hotel around 7.30 this morning.

Obviously they had the need to ask for updates during the night - whenever anyone asked they were replied to very nastily by the airport
staff and given no information whatsoever.

Up until now they are being collectd at 4pm and flying at 8pm. The Aena website however says they fly at 17.30!!

Does anyone know if they claim compensation via the airline, travel agent or the insurance company?