Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I think its about time there were independant digital scales provided in check in areas....which are regularly checked by an independant person qualified to do so.....so people can check the weight of thier cases before going to a check in desk... gives people time to sort cases if over weight ...or atleast realise and accept thier cases are over weight and know they have a fee to pay...shops scales have spot checks....why not check ins too....

The way things are now you have no argument ...you either take things out ...pay excess luggage fee...or dont travel.....as there is no independant way to prove if your case really is over weight or by how much...people usually just pay up........the home scales used ect could have been inaccurate....if an independant convienient scale was available that was accutate just before check in would improve the situation for everyone....including the poor check in girls who get the flack when people are asked to pay when they had weighed the cases as 15 or 20kgs at home and dont agree they are over weight....tweetie
I agree with Tweetie about some independent method of checking being available. But then would people accept that if it did not agree with what they thought?

As far as the people manning the check in desk they can only go by what the scale displays. They do not deserve the abuse that is often thrown at them. They are only doing an often stressful job. They do not "fiddle" the scales no matter what some may think. If someone is to be blamed then it is the management who cut costs by not having them checked on a daily basis.

I personally always check the weight of our luggage before going and take not what the check in scales read. I also accept that both could be wrong.

There is of course another angle to the OPs experience - the scales could possibly have been wrong on the outward leg reading over and those on the return leg could also have been reading under.

fwh
You are absolutley right, I do not for one minute think that the check in girl is fiddling the scales.

But lets face it, there is money to be made here and the management are far more inclined to turn a blind eye when the scales are weighing over and they are overcharging their customers by several thousand pounds per day.

A friend of mine used to work for Swissport who said that many carriers are now targeting their staff for excess baggage charges. I firmly believe in this instance that Thomson / Servisair management at Newcastle were aware of the problem and were quite happy to cash in, otherwise they would not have allowed me to check my luggage in without paying the fee.

I think we do need some independent scales in the airport checkin area, the other solution of course would be for weights and measures to start monitoring this more closely because this is a system which is wide open to abuse. If Saisburys were ripping their customers off by with their scales weighing over at checkouts then trading standards would not give them the lickings of a dog.
I noticed that there were independant scales at Manchester T3 - but you have to pay to use them and have no guarantee that they are calibrated either!
Newcastle airport scales have always weighed more than mine :yikes
Luckily I had 20kgs but our 2 cases only weighted 18kgs and 16kgs when I weighed them at home.
At the airport they weighed 20kgs and 22kgs :que
The poor bloke in front of us in the queue in May was charged £60 as they are now charging £12 a kg. :yikes
We also had to pay for 2 kilos of excess baggage at £12.00 per kilo at newcastle airport, we weighed the cases at home and believed we were ok but as others posts have said when you are at the front checking in and there are a lot of people behind you what do you do? pay up rather than have the other people kick off because of the delay.
Also the number of bags that get chucked onto the luggage convayer must affect the scales underneath them but as was said earlier it is a good money earner!

Alan
slightly off topic :offtop
but june 10th this yr i flew to zakynthos from gatwick
when we arrived at the monarch check in desk the scales were showing 3kg
my case at home weighed 18kg (we had a 20kg allowance) also had a luggage scales that said the same
when my case was weighed the fella said it was 21kg and put a heavy label on it
Kicking off with a queue full of people behind worked for me, perhapps if more people did this then the airlines would be less inclined to try it on.
bigkacker wrote:
Kicking off with a queue full of people behind worked for me, perhapps if more people did this then the airlines would be less inclined to try it on.

And you may find that most airlines would be less inclined to carry you.
You catch more flies with honey.
Much as I agree that it is not a very satisfactory state of affairs I have yet to see someone admitting to contacting Trading Standards.

The Weights and Measures people are supposed to check/certify these scales. Certainly if you were buying 5Lbs of potatoes and they were underweight they would be prosecuting. Luggage is no different. You are allowed X weight as part of the deal. If you are over then you pay for the extra.. No argument with that. But the question is are you over? If not and the scales are not recording correct then they are committing an offence.

fwh
I always thought that any scales used by the public (whether to weigh food, people or luggage) have to be checked by Weights and Measures? Our scales (in a GP Health Centre) have to be checked and we have to display the certificates. We don't ask for the checks - someone just turns up unannounced. Don't airports have to do the same?
Edinburgh also has independent scales, 50p per item of luggage. Between domestic arrivals and check in where the stairs/escalators are up.
hi all...are there any in terminal 1 at manchester ( scales)...Ive not noticed any......must say never had any worries using thomascooks check in....they have basically matched what Id weighed they at home...or not far off.....tweetie
meant to add...or thomsons at T2.....both last year....tweetie
fwh

Actually the OP did say Trading Standards were contacted on that occasion and did find some that were wrong. But that's just one person out of all those that were ripped off. Unfortunately we now live in an age when people seem happy to make do with a moan than go to all the trouble of looking up a phone number and actually reporting it to someone who counts.

And if anyone does feel like some trouble, if you think there may have been a problem with the scales at a UK airport you could find the local authority where the airport is located and use the Freedom of Information Act to ask how frequently their Trading Standards staff have inspected the scales and whether any were wrong.
Actually the OP did say Trading Standards were contacted on that occasion and did find some that were wrong.

Actually I did note that but my question is more to do with all the others. When I was in the motor trade we had regular visits from the TS people checking our pumps were correct. In view of the number of people that are processed through say Manchester, and the use/abuse the scales get, I would have thought they would be there almost full time.
One interesting thought based on comments here on HT over the years is people who are slightly over being allowed to go without challenge. One thought was that they would get caught on the way back, but is it also possible that staff are aware at times the scales might not be as accurate as is claimed.

Our combined weight when we went to Turkey in May, whilst below the total allowance was more than the check I had done at home by around a kilo. Was it my scales or theirs that was wrong?

fwh
Well I know a sure fire way to find out if they are calibrated correctly or not. Take your ready packed 2.5kg pack of spuds with you to the airport and set it down on the scales BEFORE you stick your suitcase on.

If it weighs more that 2.5kg you know and most importantly can PROVE your check-in desk has got a dodgy set of scales.

Once finished, just chuck your bag of spuds in the nearest bin or hand to person at next check-in desk along!

Sorted!!! :rofl
hi tysonlymoi...good idea if your going via newcastle....tweetie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.