Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Excess luggage
36 Posts
Where did you get the carrum bord from and was it expensive ? Do these boards fold up.
What is a carrom board?
This is a females description(WOODEN SUBUTEO)you have different coloured draught pieces where you have to flick them in to pockets against your opponent.(sure a male will give you a better version.
The Punjab State Carrom Association. contains rules, events, news, Gallery and Guide to Strokes.

lez
hi , we think you were very lucky to not get charge excess,over the last couple of years they have realised this is a very easy way to make money,watch out for someone putting there foot on the scales behind your case.
We got our first Carrom board in a sports shop in Panjim and paid about £35 for it. We have since bought another on the internet from a firm in Wembley cost a bit more but a lot easier!!
The locals play it a lot during monsoon and are brilliant to watch playing it.
The sports bar at Bon Successor in Candolim has two tables you can hire if you fancy having a game.
Going back to airport charges it was probably 2001 when we bought it home on the Monarch flight.
A word of warning - last March, Thomsons hit everyone on our flight, they even weighed our hand luggage and it cost us £180.
Ok I went straight to the duty free to get my money back - but why take the risk.
This time it was legal ,no backhanders to corrupt officials, all done by Thomsons,
we brought a 4ft coffee table back three years ago with no problem, but I wouldn't want to try it nowadays
del949
Last year we were 12 kilos over weight and we were charged £100 excess and that was with thompsons. previous years we were well over weight and never got charged anything :cry:
As I posted elsewhere a few days ago, a circular has been sent by the Indian Civil Flight Authority to all travel outlets , airlines and airports and check in desks reminding them of among other things, to be vigilent re excess luggage, and it even detailed the ways that the money could be collected, so I confidently expect lots of angry posts here when people get charged the extra on the way home Alan
Hi Rokerender

We must of been on the same flight back as you in March because I remember that lady telling us she was charged £180 and her friend had to pay around a £100 as well.

We bought back no more than the year before and we were told we had to pay £40 as we were overweight, as were our friends but they just off loaded their gin to the bloke behind the desk, who was trying to hide the smile on his face. The stupid thing is they just went into Duty Free and bought more gin, doesnt make sense really does it.

Next year I am definitely taking less clothes in my suitcase so we dont get caught again.

Sue
They're definitely more on the ball with excess baggage now than they used to be. There doesn't seem to be any consistency - some flights no problems and others, everything is weighed.

A handful of folding money when you place the bags on the scales always helps - not clever but very effective....and very Indian!
:) They are very on the ball now, never used to be up until about 3 years ago! Last year my friend bought a table back and cost her another £120! First Choice Flight. I went last Dec, this March, April and Oct - everyone has been complaining about the excess charges(Monarch, Thomsons and First Choice flights) = don't buy lots of cheap rubbish!! They also put your hand luggage on (they never used to).It may be worth upgrading to premium - your allowance is then 30kg (+ free drinks etc!)
if you upgrade to premium NEXT year allowance is only 23 kilos
del949
My fiancee and I have bought a cheap combi DVD/TV we also have digital cameras and MP3 players. I read previously that they will ask you to declare these upon arrival and charge you import tax for the privilage. Is this the case and can we not just not declare them?
I don't know about them charging import tax, but they do require a declaration.
I never have for cameras , i-pods etc
del949
In the context of Baggage Rules for tourists, personal effects would include the following:

(i)
Personal jewelry

(ii)
One camera with film rolls not exceeding twenty.

(iii) One video camera/camcorder with accessories and with video cassettes not exceeding twelve.

(iv)
One pair of Binoculars

(v)
One portable color television (not exceeding 15 cms in size)

(vi)
One music system including compact disc player.

(vii)
One portable typewriter.

(viii)
One perambulator.

(ix)
One tent and other camping equipment.

(x)
One computer (laptop/notebook).

(xi)
One electronic diary.

(xii)
One portable wireless receiving set (transistor radio).

(xiii)
Professional equipment, instruments and apparatus or appliances including professional audio/video equipments.

(xiv)
Sports equipments such as one fishing outfit, one sporting fire arm with fifty cartridges, one non-powered bicycle, one canoe or ranges less than 51 meters long, one pair of skids, two tennis rackets, one golf set (14 pcs. with a dozen of golf balls).

(xv)
One cell phone.
one canoe or ranges less than 51 meters long,

thats a ship
Just got back yesterday - unless you're lucky, they will 'scam' you for more dough!

You have been warned.

GW
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.