Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
Get yourself a Nationwide card and use it in the ATMs, you'll get the best exchange rate and no charges or commission, always select NO when asked if you want to be charged in Euros and you will get a better exchange rate.
Thanks...........Had a Nationwide card for 23 years, before they got popular just for using abroad :tup

Still curious what the rates doing over in Lanzarote at the moment.

p.s. Im now intrigued because your advise above and on the 1st page conflicts with the post by Trev ?
To be honest in all the many years using the N card I don't think I've been asked the Q at an ATM.....only what language I want :que
I have been asked the question, do you want the transaction in euros or GBP, at several ATM's in Spain, but not at all of them. I too have had a Nationwide FlexAccount card for 20+ years before I realised it was the best deal for withdrawals abroad.

luci :wave
just to clarify..robertk is absolutly right about everything except if you want the maximum amount of euros for your sterling the asian shops cannot be beat,they are still giving 5 points above the general exchange rates like nationwide use. i have a nationwide card myself. incidentally as of yesterday it was 1.32 at the asian exchange i use, around 1.27 nationwide. i have it on good authority these terrible rates over here arnt getting any better soon.
But if you use the asian shops you're just helping them launder money!

Why do you think you get such a good rate?
With the euro rate being so low at the moment, does anyone have any idea what the exchange rate is over in PDC? Just wondering if better to take Sterling and change it over there.
If you have a nationwide card you will get a better exchange rate and no charges if you use the ATMs.

If not, don't break your neck trying to get the odd cent.
I ordered our Euros over the internet about 6 weeks ago. Got a very good rate , but the problem is they have sent me a load of 100 euro notes. Now I know the hassle we have in the U.K. changing £50 pound notes, especially if you are buying some thing for £2.50. I can see the same problem in PDC,and wonder if it would be possible to change them for smaller denominations in a Spanish bank. I have asked in the U.K. but they are not interested.
Any thoughts.
The banks will change them to smaller notes no problem.

Even if you arrived when they're closed or if you don't happen upon one immediately there are a multitiude of friendly bar owners who would oblige I'm certain :tup
robert i have heard your argument before..but people just want to know where to get the lowest rate of exchange,and it makes more difference than just a few cents.
Just come back from PDC and the rate was 1.27, about the same as here.
Janbabe did you try any good eateries that you could share with us.
Please use the recommended restaurants sticky at the top of the forum. Thank you ;)

Pippy :)
Hi

I am going to Tias later this month - can anyone advice me what the exchange rate is in pdc - the euro is low at the moment and I am debating to take sterling if the rate is better in lanza
I am PDC at the moment and the rate is 128 cheques 127 cash it as been this for about a week . Weather fab 80f in the day time :cheers
The last couple of days the rate as droped to 125 cheques 124 cash. :(
hi can anyone please advice me,ive read the above thread a couple of times but im still confused.
im going to playa blanca on the 1st of may for a week,i planned on taking sterling travelers cheques as i normally do, and have done on any other holiday we have ever had,i dont have a nationwide account and to be honest i think i would prefer to have the cheques rather than having to search around for atms whilst im there,am i being foolish?? whats the best option?? please any advice would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks
You won't need to search for ATMs, there are loads of them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.