Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Hi all. I am visiting Gibraltar on a day trip whilst cruising the med in May and was wanting any suggestions/ ideas for best things to do with a 5 and 4 year old. Thanks! :)
Hi Lesley,

Not sure what your children would like but the town centre is an easy 15 min walk from the port and pleasant to walk around - there is also a cemetery with war graves from the Battle of Trafalgar which is easy to find - there is a cable car that will take you up the cliffs to see the apes.

When I was last there approx 2 yrs ago if you spent any money either GBP or Euro you received your change in Gibralter currency so it pays to use small denominations.

HTH - Gretchen
Lesley, The Med cruise tour companies usually organise a trip up the rock to see the apes etc.

Most pick up from the cruise port.

Its well worth while doing the trip and the views are great (kids love it). The caves are also worth a visit with children.

Main street is usually very busy when the cruise liners are in - however the marina down at the waterfront tends to be a little quieter.

Nivsy
Hi folks

We are off to Benalmadena in a couple of weeks and wanted to arrange a day trip to Gibralta. Its probably cheaper to arrange this ourselves than go thorugh an organised trip.

Can anyone recommend a local firm/agent that can arrange this for us? Or is the best way to get there (and back !!) via train/bus or whatever ourselves. Not sure how far it is from the resort to Gibralta either - we will have 2 kids in tow, so although we are keen to visit, if its a very long journey we may think again!

Also can anyone recommend good things to do and see when we get there apart from seeing the apes!

Thanks for any help/advice you may be able to provide on this.

Happy holidays! :cheers
Hi cpandk
It is a long way and i don't think the trains run that far but i think its worth it when you arrive, you can have a trip round to see the caves, fortifications and lots more the walk up main shopping street is ok i would say take a tour as we did, we also drive once and have docked twice on cruises but take sterling for the best deals.
Have a nice time

Roger
Thanks roger - some good tips!

How far is it from benalmadena to gibralta - still not sure or the best way to get there
The organised coach trip takes 3.5 hours each way and costs around €14.
We hired a car and it took just under 2 hours each way. The road tolls add
to the cost. Distance about 70 miles each way.

No possibility of using the train as it only goes as far as Fuengirola.

Don't get too close to the monkeys - they bite !

A.M.
Quick questions or two.

What is the position taking a hire car into gibralta?? (off to fuengirola tomorrow and picking car up at airport.)

Is gibralta worth a visit?? Ive already decided to visit nerja, estapona and marbella. Not sure on gibralta?
we had no problems,when we went,in our hire car.
i was glad we visited,as we have never been before.there was a long queue,to get in,probably took,about half an hour.they do check,on the way out,for the duty free,so be careful what you buy.not sure,if they always check,but they did,when we went.
we went up the rock,to see the monkeys,but we drove ourselves,we didn't go,on one of the tours.
it was fairly windy,when we went,not sure if it's always like that,or not.
i would say,it is definately worth a visit,if you have never been before,
tracy
Thanks for reply, do you need to show passport to get in to gibralta??
and out last time we went.. oh and dont try and come back with too mant goodies the spanish customs were and i understand still are very hot..
passports in and out, thanks. Not planning on buying anything just sight seeing.
Maxy travel do shopping trip from fuengirola- gibraltar, from all hotel pick up points, early start though takes over 2 hours, but this will be my 4th visit, love gibraltar, and not just for cheap perfume/cigs either!!! think it cost 14 euros return!! nice journey you drive through marbella, and up the mountains, the only pain is the toilet stop at the cafe up the mountains, absolute pain in the ****
any help how much from fuengirola to gilbralter day trip for 2 adults please going 23rd august thanks :) anyother tips would be very welcome as it is our first time to the area staying at the Yaramar
We paid 12 euros per person from Benalmadena earlier this year. As the distance from Fuengirola is slightly shorter, I would expect it to be slightly cheaper!

Mike.
Thanks for that Mike big help can sort out our budget already had wk in turkey in july
hi, am staying in Benalmadena in October Half Term and want to visit Gibraltar for the day, could I get an local organised coach tour, or what other options would I have, thanks in advance Andy :sun2
There are plenty of travel agents that do trips to Gib. Tell us where you are staying and maybe I or someone else will give you an idea where your nearest travel agent is.Dont book with holiday reps.
If you drive have you considered car hire.
Hi, am staying at the siroco, pretty central hotel, usually go on organised excurtions e.g. Thomas Cook, but have booked independently this time and dont fancy driving all that way on the wrong side of the road.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.