Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
It all depends on what you are interested, we stayed in Playa del Carmen which is about 15 minutes away last year and we are returning this year in September.
If you haven't been before it is a crime to go and not see Chichen Itza, it's about 3 1/2 hours on a coach or you can get a plane from the small airstrip in Playa del Carmen.
The ruins at Tulum are about 1 hours travel away with the Xel-ha eco-park close by, worth doing both on the same trip.http://www.xel-ha.com/
Xcaret is another park which you definitely need a full day to fully enjoy including the spectacular evening show, about 10 minutes from Playa del Carmen http://www.xcaret.com/
If you check on the many sites for the general area you will find that there are several local tour companies who do excursions which are also cheaper than the 'big' operators.
Hi.
We stayed in Playa del Carmen last summer and really enjoyed the "Fat Cat" excursion. We were taken by minibus to a port where we boarded a catamaran. Snacks and drinks were provided and everyone seemed to have a great time. YOu could sunbathe on board or just chill out to the sounds of reggae music whilst enjoying the sight of the Caribbean sea. We were taken to a coral reef where if you wanted you could snorkel for about an hour (equipment provided). Life jackets were also provided for the non swimmers who fancied participating. Later the cat sailed to a differnt area where we could dive or jump from the boat or just have a relaxing swim. During the sail we had the opportunity to "Ride the Net", which meant 3 people at a time lying on the huge net (attached to the back of the catamaran immersed in the water) whilst the cat picked up speed and dragged you along. It was great fun for the adults. There were a couple of children on the trip but this activity was for the adults only. All of our group of 6 can thoroughly recommend this excursion.

Our husbands also went on another trip- in fact they rolled 2 excursions into 1. Horse Riding and Quad Biking. They had a great day out. If you'd like to know more about this let me know before I go into too much detail. I realize you're not staying in the same resort as we did but I'm sure most of the trips are similar. Have Fun!!
Thanks for the replies, :) I'll check out all the places that you've recommended on the internet and see what we fancy.
We haven't been big on excursions before, but when we were in Jamaica last year we did the Dunn's River Falls trip and absolutely loved it!
Thanks again,
Sunaholic.
Hi Sunaholic...We go to El Dorado Royale in 11 weeks on tuesday!! not that I,m counting either:::)) just need some sun!! we have booked a casita..and you? read loads of stuff on other sites..cant wait!!!
See you there!!
Tracey..
are these excursions available in the Cozumel area?
We are going there in September & need excursion ideas aswell if anyone has any please!

(sorry for taking over your topic but didnt wanna make a separate one as it probably would have been merged together)!

Danielle
On Cozumel do not miss the Dolphin Royal Swim at Chankanaab Park- book with http://www.dolphindiscovery.com it is an expensive day but so worth it. Is is unforgettable. :tup
Cozumel is only a half hours ferry trip away from Playa del Carmen and the ferry's run regularly, it costs about $16 (approx £8) return fare with the last ferry returning about 11pm from Playa,so there shouldn't be any problem with these and other excursions.
We go to El Dorado Royale in 11 weeks on tuesday!!

Oh how exciting, someone to do the countdown with :clap
Yep we're in a Casita too. We booked it ages ago and you know when you've looked at so many resorts that they all sort of merge into one, well that's what had happened so I went on the website yesterday to remind myself of what's in store and now I can barely contain my excitement! I'm gonna be unbearable nearer the time lol. :)
Saying it was 10 weeks on Saturday wasn't strictly true though as we are in New York for 3 nights so really, it's 10 weeks tomorrow until we'll get to the El Dorado! :yipee
OH!! your holiday just gets better and better!! you lucky thing! how long are you at El for?. yes we boked with Eclipse last may!! and have read the reviews and looked at photos ever since!1 sad ar,nt we :D NOT :rofl
Have fun! 11 weeks today!! tuesady 1st April!!..Hubby on diet allready!!! :tongue
Oh yes we're very sad :rofl We're on diets too!
We're at El for 11 days from the 25th. It's our 2nd honeymoon to make up for the first one in the Maldives where my husband got food poisoning :(
Hi to both of you going to El Dorado Royale :wave
I am going to the other "sister" hotel on 13 may, so will look forward to all your comments and any advice please when you get back :grin
Hi phyll :wave
Rest assured that I will be writing a full review on our return!
Are you going to the Seaside suites then?
Hi Sunaholic..Ouch!! food poisoning!! hope his tummy ok in El!!! We celebrating 20 years together..13 yrs married, both just turned 40!! hay..who needs an excuse!! we cant wait to go!! 2 weeks of sun! bliss!! were you from? me from Liverpool, but live in Hertfordshire now! am a childrens nanny..3 boys..so a child free resort is even better!!! :rofl And Phyll going to sis hotel...we got another countdown person with us!!!
Enjoy...
I'm from Chester, always lived in Chester and am...still in Chester :)
I'm a teacher, so seen as though every holiday I have to take is when the children are also on holiday we decided we'd opt for a child-free resort this time ;)
My bosses are from chester!!! Small world!!! all northerners together ;)
How weird is that!! Yep definately a small world :)
Hi sunaholic :wave: yes i am, unfortunately couldnt afford the Royale :( but hopefully will still be a good stay.
We upgraded our room to an ocean view as i just love looking out to sea and emptying my mind,not that there is much in there anyway to empty ;-)
LOL
Phyll
Hi Phyll..when I just looked on the Eclipse web site..it is more dearer to go to the Seaside Suites then the Royale!!! :(
just looked on the Eclipse web site..it is more dearer to go to the Seaside Suites then the Royale!!!

Yeah I think it depends where you go, as to which comes out cheaper. We booked it direct through the Karisma website, but that was only because we wanted to join it on to New York. Not sure whether what we payed was the same, more, or less than you'd get through an operator. :think
i just love looking out to sea and emptying my mind

I know what you mean phyll, we've got an ocean facing jacuzzi in ours. Sitting in there looking out to sea has got to be one of the things that I'm most looking forward to. And yep, there's not much in my mind to empty either ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.