America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi we used my husbands disabled badge 2 years ago and it was okay,when you pay for parking at universal show them yoyr disabled badge and they point you to the way to go,you have to have your hazard warning lights on while driving to park and that indicates to the parking attendants you need to park in a disabled bay,hope this helps 8)
hi cockney girl, very interesting and simple process, thank you. Has anyone else had the same experience?
:D :D Hi,

We always use my blue badge when in Florida and, so far, have had no problems as long as you display it prominently. At the parks just show your badge at the pay kiosk and they will direct you to the disabled parking entry point. The disabled parking point is close to the escalator at Universal/IOA and is close to the entry turnstyles at Busch Gardens. Don't know about Magic Kingdom etc as haven't been there for years.

At the stores and shopping there are lots of disabled spaces and, unlike here, they are not abused as there is a fine of $200. I don't know about parking on double yellow lines with your badge as I have never done that. I think the US has so many UK tourists now that the badge is accepted. However, if you are travelling with Travel City I believe there is a point where you can go and get a temporary US disabled pass for a few dollars for the period of your stay, it is somewhere in their literature. We usually travel with them but, as yet, I have always used my UK badge.

Just a reminder - if you do take your badge, don't forget it when you take the car back :!:

Hope this helps,

Babs

:wave
I lived in Florida and used my blue badge for the duration. Only mini problems come in non tourist areas (I'm talking middle of nowhere in NY state!) but even then people are cool.
Great folks, that really puts my mind at rest as it's such a long way from parking to the park entrance at Universal I was concerned I wouldn't make it!!

Thanks again.
Hi-we were there yesterday-and no prob with parking.

What I wasn't too happy about was not being able to use their power walk in my manual wheelchair.

As I have used it over the last 8 years at least-I can't see why I should be stopped.

So see the scene-I am pushing myself manually in 90 degree heat -alongside the powerwalk-where all the able bods are allowed to ride.

Doesn't seem right somehow!
You just like to cause trouble wherever you go Ali :D
All the theme parks have specific disabled parking areas, Seaworld is opposite the park entrance (50yds), Busch Gardens about 50-100yds, Disney parks and Universal/IOA are much further out, Disney do provide temp. wheelchairs to use between the car parks and the main park entrances, just pick one up in the car park and drop it off at the entrance when you get there :)
I believe it is a legal requirement for places to offer disabled parking along with regular parking spots. But I'm not sure if this is a federal law, it might vary from state to state. In California, just about any theme park, supermarket, restaurant, movie theater, etc. that you go to will have disabled parking and it's always near the front. Disabled spots typically have at least 50% additional space than regular parking spots (and it's often more than double the space).
We had no problems using a blue badge.
Could anybody tell me whether Universal do exit passes for their rides for disabled guests,have been looking on their websites but can find no mention of them.If they do them does anyone know what evidence you need,my son is disabled but is not a wheelchair user so his disability is not always obvious.Any advise would be gratefully recieved.
Hi Shazzacat,

you could try posting this on http://www.thedibb.co.uk as well as that is a dedicated forum for everything disney etc...

Katy xx
Not sure what you mean by exit passes Shazzacat. Do you mean special assistance passes? Our son is autistic and when we went to Universal we went to Guest services first and got a pass that enabled us to use the disabled entrance to the rides. We took our blue badge but if you don't have one, can you take a letter from your Doctor or school stating that he has special needs? We found the staff very helpful.

It is very difficult when your disabled child looks normal. We got various comments and looks when we used the disabled entrance and seating. As if life isn't hard enough! But just bite the bullet and go for it. You are entitled to use the pass and any advantages it brings. It is valid for the whole party for the day. If you go back the next day, you just do the same procedure.
Thanks katysclan and hbrac for your replies.
Katysclan-i will have a look on that website,thanks for your help.
hbrac-Yes i think its the special assistance card i need wasnt sure what it was called.We do have a blue badge and have a fit to fly letter from my sons hospital doctor which details his medical conditions so i will make sure we take both with us.Many thanks for your help.
Don't forget when you get to Universal Studios Parking lot, show your blue badge at the gate where you pay. You will then be directed to disabled parking which will help you be closer to the entrance. Go through the entrance and Guest Services is on the right I think.
Hope you have a lovely time ( Not that I'm jealous :lol: )
just thinking-even using the disabled parking spaces-it's still a helluva long way from the car park to where you actually enter the gates of Universal or IOA-you have the 3 power walks to contend with or not as the case may be-and then quite a long walk past citywalk to either universal or IOA-not to mention the actual trek round the parks..
Yes you're right Alison. :?
Oh, I didn't realise that having a blue badge (my disability is a new thing, unfortunately) meant that if I go to customer services I could have preferred seating at shows - is that so?
If you're entitled to a Blue Badge...of course you're eligible. You need to go to Guest Services first and they give you a pass for the whole party for the day.
mgm
How does the disabled seating system work for the evening lazer show (in the round) - can't remember what it is called - at MGM studios? Never seen it have ususually gone to the fireworks at MK or Epcot, but I understand that this show is a real MUST! What do you think?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.