Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
I'm not sure Elaine. When we were there last January there was a lot of redevelopment and land reclaimation going on and I think it is probably no longer there. I certainly can't remember seeing it :think We started taking taxis a couple of visits ago as I wasn't well and they are surprisingly cheap. Might be worth it when you can't be bothered trekking. :)
Thanks Fiona. Yes, I think you're right and it's gone.

Last time we were there for New Year 2005, it was in the middle of a really cold snap, so I'm hoping that temperatures this time around will be more normal for the time of year. How was it last January?

The airlines are just starting to get prices out for early January and I've found flights at around £440 each return with Finnair, which sounds pretty good. Hotels seem a little slower at releasing their prices, but so far the Nikko seems to be the best bargain. Their club floor rooms include breakfast, all day refreshments and a 3-hour "happy hour" between 6 and 9 in the evening, when you can have unlimited free drinks in their lounge. I'm sure we can get our money's worth out of that :)

Elaine
It was ideal during the day. Great for walking around in. I took a jacket but didn't wear it. However, at night it was cold!! Locals were wearing thick jackets, scarves and gloves. Even we wouldn't venture out with a jacket :D It was colder than usual though.
Try the BA website for hotels. We had found it difficult to get a bargain but I was pleasantly surprised with what BA offered.
That is a brilliant flight price. Finnair have come out tops for several destinations. No idea how good they are inflight. Might be worth asking on the flights forum?
Thanks for bringing up your old Finnair post in the flight forum Fiona. I take it you didn't end up flying to Bangkok with them? I had a look at Darren's links and reviews are a bit mixed, but then I checked out Air France (second cheapest option at present) and they seem even worse, so maybe we'll give it a go :think

Elaine
I think that was David who merged your query. I forgot I had asked about them :rofl We actually changed our holiday altogether.
I was in HK over New Year for 5 days and apart from the first day the weather was nice and sunny and fairly warm (did not need a jacket in the sun).

We stayed at the Regal Kowloon (Booked via BA) and the only ferry we could see was the Star Ferry from the terminal along from the walk of stars.
Just a quick update to say thanks for the help. We couldn't resist booking the club floor deal at the Nikko, but the old ferry has definitely gone now, so we'll just have to take the Star Ferry or MTR to get to the Island.

In the end, we decided that the Finnair reviews were just a bit too off-putting and after several weeks of looking and waiting, we've finally got a reasonable price on Cathay Pacific. So we'll be off to HK on Boxing Day after what seems like a very long gap of 5 years :)

I'm now trying to put together an itinerary for Malaysia for next April, so no doubt I'll be back here with more questions in the near future!

Elaine
My goodness Elaine- 5 years? I remember your last report :)
Yes it'll be exactly 5 years to the day. Boxing Day 2004 (the day of the Tsunami) was when we last went. I vividly recall watching the tragic events of the day unfold on the news before we left for our flight and I'm very much hoping that Boxing Day 2009 will leave me with much happier memories.

Elaine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.