Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Cider is my drink of choice where-ever I am but the one I had in Goa could not compare with anything I have drunk before. I could compare it with a leading brand of toilet cleaner. ;)
I've never drunk toilet cleaner, what does it taste like????? Does the taste vary depending on what brand it is?
Drink too much of it and you'll go CLEAN ROUND THE BEND!.
After drinking it, do you feel a bit flushed?? ;-)
They did have castle lager for a couple of years but couldnt fin anywhere that sold it last year! :(
Castle appears to have disappeared, but there are 2 "new" beers which are now being brewed locally and have been introduced in Goa in the last couple of months: Tiger and Carlsberg.
I have got to dissagree re Kingfisher.I have been here 2 years now and still find it the best beer,draught especialy.Bud was excellent when it first arrived,but for some reason not now.As for Kings i think it's the worst of the lot,strange taste if any taste at all.

John
Have to agree with jcbrum regarding Kingfisher - it's all I bother with (no kings/bud etc) - buy a case of 12 x 650ml bottles from an 'offy' for Rs 480 I think it was last season (& get Rs 80 I think back when you return the empties!) - get them on the bike, then in the fridge for a good few hours until they are ice cold, crack one open, sit back relax & enjoy. . . . . . . . . . . . between 13 & 14 pints of Kingfisher for about a fiver! BARGAIN! I can almost taste my first one now!

Hemingway.
Kingfisher does taste a bit glyceriny after a few but when served ice cold on a hot day, it really hits the spot for me. I definitely enjoy a drink and am not known for leaving anything in the bottom of my glass....but.....we tried Belo beer last time and I thought it was just awful. Very yeasty and much to my wife's astonishment, I left it; just couldn't drink it.

Feni? Quality varies and as mentioned, I suspect some locally made stuff can be dangerous. I wouldn't touch it - especially when good spirits are so cheap.

Tried some wines, both Indian and imported from the very basic looking off-licence near the bend in the road, opposite the junction of the main Cal/Can road with the After Seven road. It's just a counter in some shoddy builings but there's a great selection of all kinds of booze and mixers. The owners are helpful, too. A bottle of gin, 12 bottles of tonic and change from a fiver....bring it on! :tup
If my memory serves me correctly the gin brands are usually 'Gilbeys' & 'Blue Riband' - taste fine to me with tonic & at somewhere between Rs140 & Rs160 for a 70cl bottle they are a bargain. Honeybee over (known safe) ice is lovely after dinner - the ice takes the edge off the Brandy - I'm no Whiskey fan personally but my mate likes Royal Stag - again about Rs 160 for 70cls. In terms of wine, I don't like paying top money for imported stuff & I find Madeira red perfectly palatable, usually Rs300 to 350 from an 'offy' but I remember going in a local's restaurant (Sam Hen) down near Majorda beach & they didn't sell wine, but the waiter said if I wrote down the name of the wine that we wanted, he would go get it for us, which he duly did, two trips for two bottles infact & ended up charging us an extra Rs 50 for each bottle - for nothing I thought, as well as being fantastic customer service!

Hemingway
"Becks" beer has also arrived now.... in some places of course.
come on Poppetjay, tell us more? alcohol percentage? 4%? 5%? what size bottles? draft? how much in Rs? - these are important points?

Hemingway
Hubby loves Kingfisher Beer. It is readily available in most Indian restaurants in this country, along with Tiger & Cobra.
Becks will be more expensive as its imported and a few weeks ago all imported goods had more tax slapped on on them, beef and chicken have gone up quite abit aswell so many prices will indeed be higher, same for taxis as petrol is now 50-56rps per litre, to buy a bottle of petrol from your good old little local store/house is now 65rps.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.