Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Fenni is a clear spirit, a friend of mine described it like white whiskey, it definitely has a kick it's very strong and very cheap. Kingfisher is a lager but needs to be very cold once it goes warm it tastes very acid. White rum and whiskey are available in Goa but you will pay a lot more for branded spirits than the local ones.
Watch the Fenni though, I've tried a few types. Some of it is very impure and can cause stomach problems. Don't know if there's any truth in it but a Doctor that treated me for Gastritis in Goa suggested that Fenni could have been the cause of it. Personally I'd stick to Honeybee.
In Goa we tend to stick to Kingfisher,Honeybee brandy and Directors whisky,as already mentioned,you will pay a lot more for branded spirits......Oh and lime soda on the beach. Paula
im not sure,but i think fenni is used for aeroplane fuel :) kingfisher (a light drink)a lager drink,quite pleasant too,imo.kings is another lager which is served reglarly and is my fav maily because they are usually served in small bottles and doesnt have time to get warm due to the heat ;) . wife maily drinks bacardi breezers (all sorts of flavours),some you may not even of heard of if first time to goa,enjoy yourselves :)
No not aeorplane fuel.
IMO,would make a good drain cleaner. :rofl
you can buy a bottle of bacardi (yes the real thing) for around £4 a bottle. coke is as always, redily available.
BOB :tup :tup
I drank Kingfisher (lager) and I had heard that they put glycerine in it as it is used as a preservative. I actually think that over the two week holiday, it made me feel a little ill. (Maybe that was the hangover from Honeybee)

So next year, I'll be sticking with Fosters and Honeybee.

I brought a bottle of Fenni home with me and no one liked it. It ended up down the drain. Thank god it was only about 95p.

You must try the Honeybee brandy....MMMMmmmm and that only costs about £1.20 for a 70cl bottle. Brought a couple of those home and they only lasted about another week. :yikes
When I first went to Goa, you had a choice (alcoholicly) of beer, Kingfisher (only in large bottles), Haywards2000, and a couple of others that were so bad, their name, fortunately escapes me. Then you had honeybee, romanov and old monk, cant remember the name of the whisky, and a gin. Could have been Gilbeys. Least offensive, cleanest of the lot, was, and still is Old Monk. Fenni is made from coconut or cashew. I think coconut is supposed to be the cleanest. Fenni is now made on a much more commercial scale but there are still a few old bars (with a still) in the sticks where you can obtain the real thing. All indian alcohol (IMFL) is basically gut rot. If you're a vodka drinker, go mad, splash out another quid or two and buy a bottle of smirnoff, its slightly better. Now the 'phoreners@ have moved in you can have a few drinks and not feel like someone posioned you, the next morning. (They did). It just costs a little more. Still a lot less than Rip Off Britain.
Don't drink the Kingfisher get some Australian Water , better Fosters than the UK. Smirnoff very cheap and very good. :cheers :cheers
Kingfisher - I have listened to lots of people talk of feeling ill with it, then after switching to another brand have been fine - I guess the glycerene is the cause ? Some places though only serve this, so for a one off I will drink it (small bottles are better)
Kings - Decent drink, small bottles, but last season (as others have said also) had an 'odd' taste from one bottle to another (clear bottles seemed better than the brown ones)
Fosters - no probs but twice the price of Kings.
Fenni - you have to try it ! but for me, the smell makes me vom
Honeybee - not a spirit lover really, but this is one drink I like the odd glass of for a change
Wine - had a few bottles the last 2 years, and although nowhere near to European standards wasn't too bad, and a change from beer when the humidity is high.
Bacardi Breezers - plenty of choice on these, and also some cheapo brand knocking about that is overloaded with colouring, sugar and flavourings that they try to sell at the same price (avoid)
Guiness - was told you could get a can of this in Molly Malones bar at £4 a time ? (wouldn't pay that anywhere.
1.00am writing this and I'm Gagging now !!
Spike.
Were not beer drinkers,but can recommend the Honeybee brandy,Old monk rum and the Gilbys Gin. :)
This year Budweiser made under licence was widely available
This year Budweiser made under licence was widely available

Is it as bad as it tastes here? Or is it more like any other India Beer?
No one has mentioned Port Wine.....the wife swears by it...(literally :haha ). There are alot of differant brands on the market but she finds Wedding Bells and After 7 the best tasting...
My OH won't touch Kingfisher and used to drink Kings but last season drank Bud. He said it was ok - not unlike UK bud.
I'll give it a try.... will be avoiding the Kingfisher if possible.
Tried the Bud last season also, and found it still has the same sweet taste, not my choice at home but it makes a change out there.
Still see signs for Strongbow dotted around but never any on sale - anyone have a clue as to where you can get it ? Also I can't remember the name of the cider they do sell (couldn't get that in any bars we went in either)
Don't bother with the cider that is c**p too. Had a bottle at the bar opposite Bubbles (near to Midas - just before the big shop with the elephants outside). It is the first time I have ever left a bottle of cider. It was truly awful.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.