Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I don't think you will go far wrong with icmeler. I have friends who after listening to me rambling on about Icmeler/Turkey decided they wanted to go but booked to go to Gumbet/Bodrum and were disapointed. So now when I recommend Turkey to people I always tell them that I can only comment on Icmemer and that is the place I recommend. It has it all for my and my family. Quiet placed/party places, plenty of shopping, pleanty of walking, plenty of trips at reasonable prices to choose from something for the young and the old. It must be good we are going back again this year for the 7th time. :cheers

Di.
both places have everything for the holiday maker with the true turkey just a short bus ride away i would say go with your own gut feeling on what you will like and do plenty of research on here and t/a there are so many resorts along a very beautiful coast line :sun2
ps do not be afraid to ask questions
Welshgal, you've picked two very good resorts but I will add Hisaronu and Ovacik which are just up the hill from Olu Deniz. If it is a beach holiday that you want then stick with Icmeler and Olu Deniz. For the Discussion on Icmeler Topic, you will have to scroll back to April 22nd, 2008. As Maverick stated, don't hesitate to ask for more information.

Les
I have to disagree with Cruisecontroller. I love Hisaronu and have been half a dozen times, but I would not describe it as a "pretty place". It is a fabulous place for a holiday, but not particularly scenic (although there are some lovely pine mountains).

I have heard great things about Kalkan if you want something a bit prettier, but I have never been myself.
i would agree with Haymans , Hisaronu is a great place if you want to party party party. i have only visited Hisaronu the once and was very disappointed that it didn't have a traditional Turkish atmosphere . The scenery is wonderful tho and so are the people . You will have a great time at Hisaronu , but for me , i would chose another place . It doesn't matter what country we go to we all have different tastes, so what suits some dont suit others . If you chose H then you have to travel to Olu for the beach , as H is a built up village .
Hi Haymans, I respect your comment. Having stayed in Kalkan twice, yes, it is a lovely place and the people are out of this world but it is not for people who have walking difficulties as it is on the side of a mountain. Here, I recommend Hotel Nur which has its own website where you can book direct. If you scroll back to January 15th, you will find the Discussion on Kalkan Topic. There is also a website called Enjoy Kalkan for further info. :cheers

Les
kalkan is definatly not for the unfit or people with walking problems as cruise controller has said yes it is very beautifull but very hard walking :sun2
Cruisecontroller it's nice to have a civil discussion! :)
It's so hard to recommend somewhere to a new comer to Turkey because one person's idea of a fabulous holiday is another person's idea of hell!

I've heard nice things about Dacta too, that it is scenic and less touristy than other areas but again, I've never been.

I am a slave to Hisaronu now I'm afraid :D :cheers
Thank you so much for all your replies! I'm so excited, don't know if any of you know Nerja in Spain, but i love it. I was kind of trying to find a Nerja of Turkey if that makes sense?!
Anyway, i'm soooooooooooo excited, just stumbled across Xanthos club in Kalkan and it looks like my kind of heaven. No reviews on here yet.....but at the price, can't go wrong anyway!!!
What do you all think? (have a look at their website)
Thanks again
Tricia.
Have finally booked...................Kalkan it is!

Think i may need a mobility scooter..........i could be the "Madge" of the place!

Or more seriously a taxi budget!

Is it really that bad??
Nice one Welshgal, i'm really pleased for you and yes, it is really that bad for getting about, everywhere is on the side of a hill/mountain. If you walk down the road past Sun Terrace restaurant, this is affectionately known as heart attack hill !!!! For restaurants, go back to my earlier post whereby i've pointed you in the direction of the Discussion on Kalkan Topic and also the website Enjoy Kalkan. Don't forget to post a report on your return.

Les
If you want a calm holiday than Oludeniz is ok, but if you want both calm and adventurous holiday with great night life, than Marmaris and Icmeler is the best. You may take a boat trip and visit Oludeniz and side bays in advance. So Icmeler is a nice option for you i guess.
If you want calm, wouldn't suggest Marmaris! Icmeler is lovely - nice and relaxed, but with plenty to do, and if you do want the hustle and bustle of Marmaris, it's just a short trip away by taxi, water taxi or dolmus.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.