Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
First of all I'd like to know what she meant by 'I am not a Travel Agent'- I thought you'd booked a package with First choice?
Hello Shirley, thank you for your reply :cheers

The girl I spoke to was in the 'Programme Change' department of First Choice, so by her reckoning, she's not a Travel Agent! To be honest, I was kind of stunned into silence when she said that but later, when I re-checked the content of the letter, it says '...give us a call so that we can help you find another holiday'.

She was very rude, actually, whereas the lady I spoke to today in our local branch was absolutely lovely and very sympathetic but she said she can't do anything about online bookings so it looks like I am stuck with the 'Non Travel Agents' department! :(
"'I am not a Travel Agent" may be quite an honest answer. I suspect this person is just someone who has been given a script and list of alternatives - try to vary from what's written down for her and she will be lost. I doubt she enjoys her work but times are hard.

First Choice are part of TUI Group, find something reasonably similar from a Thomas Cook Group company (but don't book it) then phone FC back and tell them what you've found and say you'll take the refund and give the money to the opposition. If they don't offer a better deal to keep your business they don't deserve it.

I'm afraid this is part of the risk of booking way in advance. Everything they offer is still in the planning stage and the Terms & Conditions let them make big changes at little cost to themselves.
Hello Steve, thank you for replying :) You're right, I'd never really considered the pitfalls of booking early, I've never booked more than about 6 months in advance before!
I'm waiting for First Choice to ring me back, hopefully the call will be from someone who will actually be able to suggest an alternative but it's looking less likely, to be honest :( The numbers just do not add up, I think I'm going to have to cancel and try my luck starting all over again after Christmas maybe.
Hi. This happened to us this year funnily enough. We were booked into apartments in San Antonio Bay in Ibiza for October as I say of this year. In February of this year we received a phone call from our local First Choice Travel Agent shop where we had booked the holiday originally, so I suppose that is where the difference lies when having to change your holidays. :que Anyway the girl in the shop gave me some alternatives around Ibiza, some of which were more expensive than the original ones that we had booked, but she said as they had changed out accomodation then we could book one of the five choices given to us, and they would pay the surplus monies :)

We changed to one of there choices, which when priced up did work out much dearer. Luckily the apartments where we changed to, albeit in a different part of Ibiza were lovely, spacious and clean.

I do hope that you can sort something out and come to an agreement of some kind. Good luck! :tup
Thank you, Debbie, nice to hear a good outcome!

I think the problem is that because there are five of us, the difference is adding up to a lot. I'm wondering if the £225 that FC have allowed us is actually determined by number of people and length if holiday, or just a set amount :que

I'm glad you found the new apartments nice, I've had some of the best times of my life in Ibiza! :cheers
This Saturday I received a letter from FC saying they are no longer using this hotel

It's interesting that FC only just got around to telling you that they zapped the Can Garden.
If you scan the HT website with the hotel name you can prove, I personally noted that this hotel had been removed way back in September.

So they just told you now? This week?
It's understandable that in the tough world of Travel 2011 that companies do have to be "fleet of foot" to stay profitable and continue to exist.

BUT - it is to the TO advantage that some people book really early. They try to get us to do so.
FC/Thomson last week issued their 2012 winter brochure. Do they REALLY want folk to commit to holidays up to 16 months in advance of departure?
If they do, then, accepting reality and the need for possible changes,
they should be prepared to SIGNIFICANTLY COMPENSATE folk who they hurt by their changes.
Hi UKBill, yes the letter just arrived Saturday morning, dated November 10.

I totally agree, allowing bookings to be made 16 months in advance is crazy and I probably won't book a year in advance again after this. Once bitten twice shy!

I've been told by a friend today that there is often a 'January Sale' for holidays, so I'm now wondering if maybe I should leave my current deal 'banked' until then, if FC will agree to that?

Does anyone know if there is any subsequent batches of Free Child Places likely to be released, or has that ship sailed now?!

Thanks all for your comments and advice, I really appreciate it :)
Update: after a couple of complaining emails, Thomsons (as opposed to First Choice) came back to me today with the choice of either Pegasos World or Seven Seas Imperial. What a difference from my phonecall on Sunday, the man I spoke to when I rang the Programme Change back was so helpful.

After looking at both, we decided on the Seven Seas and we've kept the same flights. Apparently, this came in at £752 more than our original price. I'm so glad I didn't take the word of 'I'm not a Travel Agent' Emma, who said it would never be more than £225.

Thank you very much to all who replied. I think I'll wait until after Christmas to book next year! :cheers
Great. Glad you've got it sorted to your satisfaction!
but where did Thomson enter the equation? I know they are TUI Group as well but they are run mostly as seperate companies.
Hi Steve,

I really don't know?! Someone rang me, said they were ringing from Thomsons, and offered me the two choices. Then I rang back the original number, for First Choice Programme Change, and re-booked.

I notice that the Seven Seas Imperial is not available through First Choice, only Thomsons, so maybe that's why? There's obviously some reason why they decided on my two options...I just hope it's not because no-one else wants to go there!

I've since realised that a lot of the reviews for the SSI are from before it was a Suntopia, when it was Magic Life, so I hope I don't regret it. I keep thinking that it MUST be decent if it's a 'Platinum' hotel; fingers crossed anyway...
I thought First Choice and Thomsons were the same company - TUI?

They are the same company! First choice only now deal with all inclusive hotels and Thomsons deal with all like self catering ect
denny.53 wrote:

They are part of the same group of companies but trade separately. It's not unknown though, depending on circumstances, for them to let customers amend a booking from one company to the other.
Another update, if anyone's interested! The more I read about the Seven Seas the more I wasn't 100% confident so I have decided to cancel the whole thing and get a refund, which First Choice have agreed to.

I must say, after the initial phonecall they were very helpful, so my advice to anyone in a similar position would be keep trying, until you get someone willing to try to help!

Thanks once again everyone :cheers
You have to do what you think is right when spending alot of money on holidays. :)

What I will say though is, we as a family always book well in advance to be able to get the free child places, also to be able to know I am going where I wanted to originally. Okay I know this time around my accomodation did get changed, but that is the first time in fifteen years! :tup

Good luck on whatever you decided to book ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.