America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I have checked my 'Unofficial Guide' book and the height requirement for Space Mountain and the like is 44 inches. So that's how tall they need to be. Of course whether they WANT to do the scarier rides is nothing to do with height! However if yours are small for their age, it is probably more likely that they will be that much more mature at 44ins than a child who is big for his age.

Sounds like for accommodation, you might be best with a 2 bedroomed suite in a suite hotel. At Disney, you could book 2 rooms at the cheapest hotels (or a 2 roomed suite at the All Star Music, though this is only available booked direct with Disney). I think the cheapest packages are with Travel City Direct. They are booking for summer 2009 already, so you could price it up on their website to give you an idea. No reason why you shouldn't do a diy though. The charter flights offer more legroom than the scheduled flights and also fly into Sanford airport, which is much better than flying into Orlando, a horrendous airport.

We always buy the 14 day Disney ticket since they have been offering it. It costs very little more than the 7 day ticket and means you can go whenever you like without counting the days. The Universal tickets vary from year to year as to what is best, so you would just have to look at that when you know when you are going.

We have been six times now and just love it. Hope you get there soon!
Thanks mehmeh1, we both seem to have deviated from Turkey lol. ;)

After checking the conversion charts :( it seems the smallest twin is still a fair way off the 44 inches. His twin sister is only an inch smaller than her 8 year old brother at 5, so she has to miss out sometimes to make it fair. They, or should I say we, (live too close to Altons Towers/Drayton Manor) are theme park junkies so are restricted only by height, not will, although after telling the operator on last weeks Butlins break don't think any of them, nor I, would ever go on the so-called toddler tea cups ever, ever again (he obviously wanted to go home early, and hated kids) I've never seen so many children leave a ride before it had even started in my life!!

Thanks for the advice about Sanford airport, will certainly look into it and check out the DIY options. I had noticed the similarity in price for the Disney 7/14 day tickets - would we definately need the Univeral ones on our first visit, I think so, but would welcome your advice.

Glad to see someone as passionate about their holidays as myself, always looking to go somewhere, and drive my friends potty :tup
Hi- yes, Turkey and Florida are our favourites so far! But like you, I am mad on holidays and everyone teases me about it! We live between Thorpe Park and Chessington, so are also theme park addicts!

Our two boys were 11 and 7 the first time we went. We didn't go to Universal that time. We did Disney, Seaworld and the Kennedy Space Centre and it seemed to take all our time, with a bit of shopping thrown in! And in those days there was no Animal Kingdom. Whenever I say on here that I think Universal is less well suited for small children and is better for teenagers, I get shot down in flames. ;) However that is what I think. But of course there is lots for smaller children to do at Universal, I'm just prioritising not ruling it out! It was nice to have somewhere 'new' to go to the next time. But if you think there won't be a next time because of the expense, then you shouldn't miss it!

We went once diy, the other times were packages. Have used Virgin, Jetsave (messed up our booking thoroughly), Airtours and Travel City Direct.
Thanks mehmeh1. :offtop went to Chesssington last year and hoping to do Thorpe Park this!

It seems to be the theme park tickets that really bump the price up so may well just opt for the Disney passes the first time and then go for the Universal ones next time round if you really think they are more suited to the older age group. Would rather that that try and cram everything in and not enjoy it as much especially as the younger ones can't cope with as frantic a pace. Would really appreciate your honest views on this and promise not to shoot you down it flames :tup :rofl

I see you've travelled with various operators, which did you find the cheapest?

Thanks greatly for all your help :)
Hi Pamplemousse
fancy seeing you over here.
We have been to Orlando around 5 times and our kids loved it all. The first time my youngest was 6 and he couldn't go on a couple of rides but quite frankly he didn't fancy those as they were the scary ones.
Of all the parks my lot far preferred the Universal ones. Their favourite was Universal Studios followed by Islands of Adventure then Busch Gardens at Tampa. They also liked Disney but not quite as much.
My first choice for accommodation would be a suite in a hotel. That way you get the space and the facilities without the isolation of a villa.
Bridd
Hi Bridd - Turkey goes to Florida!

My younger son now likes Universal best I think. We spent 4 days there last summer. The older one still loves WDW best - he says it has the magic! I think Bridd's two are boys like mine? If Pamplemousse has girls, they would probably go for all that Disney Princess stuff. There nothing like that at Universal.

Travel City Direct are definitely the cheapest. People are rude about their old planes, but their website says they will have new ones for 2009. They are part of XL now. We have had no problems with them and have used them twice.
WOW I am amongst old friends, great :) and such reliable sources of info too mehmeh1 and Bridd for anyone new they were both invaluable help on the Lykia, Turkey, thread, thanks guys :tup

My boys are 11, 8 and 5 (almost 6) and daughter 5 again, work it out lol. Her room is decorated all in Disney Princess but may as well be Power flaming Rangers, the peril of having 3 brothers I suppose :cry

I have to admit to being an awful flyer, nearly having heart failure when flying on a plane (Air France) that was deliberately, I think, situated at the back of the airport and for good reason, so have to say really, budget airlines are a problem, wether legitimate or not, for me.

Back then to the debate of Disney only or Universal also passes, from respceted well members, blast!

I have to say the kids are fearless when it comes to theme parks and are only restricted by height which as mehmeh1 said before is a problem as they are mature, if not tall enough for the ones on offer which is a problem for us at the moment I think. I really don't want to do the big divide where the smaller twin, although wanting, can't go on the rides that the others can and for that reason would rather wait a year or two, what do you think?
I think you should wait until your daughter is tall enough. It seems mean to leave one out, especially if she would actually WANT to go on the ride.

I have been thinking about accommodation. How about the 'Nickelodeon Family Suites' at Lake Buena Vista? See http://www.travelcitydirect.com/accommodation_details.asp?accom=32790 They look somewhat OTT, but they claim to have 7 waterslides and Nicktoons character meals. They have 2 bedroomed kid suites, sleeping up to six people and I remember driving past them and they are in a good central position.

I don't think TCD are any more of a 'budget airline' than Thomson etc and presume you fly with charters like them to Turkey? And if they are getting new planes, presume they will actually be superior. Many of the scheduled airline planes are pretty ancient.
It's actually her twin brother who is the small bum but I get exactly what you mean and in fact you're reinforcing my thoughts mehmeh1. The main reason for leaving Florida so long is so that we don't get the 2 kids/1 adult x 2 divide that we usually have to do at theme parks.

The accomodation you suggest sounds ideal and I will certainly take a look. Although it seems, as thought, the holiday may not be ideal for us next year due to height restrictions, I am still interested in anyone's views as I do like to book 12 + months ahead for the best discounts.

Sounding extremely stupid now, and never daring to ask before, what exactly is the difference between scheduled and chartered airlines? I know that packages use one but not sure of the difference!

Hiding under the table in discrace now.
HI come out from under the table :rofl we all have to ask at some time,
Charter flights are used by company,s who do packages [hotels ect]
Scheduled are the airlines like Virgin ,United ,BA and the likes,they usually
have daily services going any where in the world
have a great time when you go
ann :wave:
I have found this page which details height restrictions on rides: http://allears.net/tp/rr.htm From this it seems that a few rides are actually 48inches minimum, not 44. So it gets worse I'm afraid! However I think it is only two rides, Rock n Roller Coaster at the Studios and Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom. But thought I had better point it out!

The distinction between charter and scheduled flights is becoming more blurred these days, when the likes of Thomson will sell you just a seat on the plane. In the old days, charter flight seats were only sold as part of a full package with hotel and transfer included.
Hi Pamplemousse :wave:

Fancy seeing you here. Don't pop into America all that often now, but i have also been to Florida 4 times. Haven't read your whole thread, so hope I am not duplicating.The last three times we have been with our kids.

First we did 2 weeks at Disney's All Star Music Resort followed by a week at the Quality Inn in Naples on the Gulf coast. We only did Disney on this holiday as they were 3 & 5 years old.

Second time we did 2 weeks at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, Lake Buena Vista.
This one we did Disney, Discovery Cove and Sea World. Age 6 and 8.

Last time 7 days down in Naples at the Registry Resort followed by 11 days in Sheraton Vistiana Village, International Drive, great with older kids as you get a seperate bedroom, they have 2 bedroomed ones so might work for you. Did all the Universal Parks, Bushe Gardens, Universal, IoA, Sea World, Wet and Wild. They were age 9 and 11.

All of these holidays have been more than great. Also went in July when everybody says not to travel hot/expensive/busy etc :rofl We always went with Virgin, but if I wanted to save or there was 6 of us I would definately look at TCD or possibly DIYing.

If you and yours like theme parks you really cant go wrong with this holiday. :tup
Hi Doepsmc :)

Thanks very much for your reply.

Can you tell me what TCD stands for please? :whoops Have got some brochures from the TA so am starting to wade through them.
Only thing I just thought of, I am not sure if Travel City Direct issue brochures. Whenever I have checked prices for them I have done it on there web-site. They always seem to come out cheaper than Virgin, and at the end of the day its just a flight.

The plus with Virgin though is because they are scheduled and fly most days you can do odd durations, like 16 or 18 days, and I like flying into Orlando International.

If you just want 14 days though the charters may give better deals, flying you into Sanford. First Choice might be worth looking at as they have upgraded their planes on long haul to give some of the similarities to scheduleds. (seat back TV's etc)

Doe :sun2
Hey pamplemousse! Was just going to post a query along these lines and came across your thread. Fancy seeing all of you here! Just last night I was checking out TCD's prices for Orlando next year.

I think if you can afford to go every year it doesn't really matter if the children are 2 or 12 because there are loads of things for all different ages at all the parks. But if you can only afford to do it the once (or maybe twice ;) ) then I agree you should try to pick the best time.

We went many years ago before we had kids and had always promised our daughter we would take her to Florida when she was 7, but ended up when she was 8. We settled on the age of 7 because we knew we wouldnt be able to afford to go every year or other year and wanted her to make the most of it and appreciate it. At that age we thought she would enjoy most of the rides at the theme parks, make the most of the water parks, and still believe in that little bit of Disney magic, characters etc.

She was definitely tall enough for all of the rides but not brave enough unfortunately. She did space mountain, dudley doright, and then decided not to do any more roller coaster/log flume/upside down rides. Hubs says what a waste of money but to be honest there are so many other rides, simulators, water rides etc that she did go on that I dont think it was a waste. As for the Disney magic, I think she was a just a little bit old for all that, but she did enjoy collecting all the signatures and photos with the characters. We did all the Disney parks and she enjoyed Animal Kingdom and the water parks the most, and Epcot the least. We also did Universal, Seaworld and Discovery Cove.

We wanted to do as much as possible when we were there (which obviously costs) so went the cheapest way we could at the time and stayed in a standard hotel with pool, no frills, which was absolutely fine, and spent more of our budget on doing stuff (like swimming with dolphins). We are sociable creatures too and opted for a hotel on International Drive because its not far to drive to any of the parks, we like to eat out and there are loads of good restaurants you can walk, or get trolley to (hubs enjoys a drink in the evening), and on our "days off" we could sit round the pool and be sociable. Most of our friends who have been opted to stay in a villa and absolutely loved it but, unless we went with a big group of friends, I think we would go for a hotel on I Drive next time aswell.

We booked with Travel City Direct who worked out the cheapest at the time, but upgraded to a Virgin flight which I thought was worth it at the time - bit more legroom etc. TCD used to send me brochures every 6 months or so but I haven't had one in a while so don't know if they still do them.

I got a fantastic book when we went last time called something like "Brits Guide to Orlando" and it was like my bible - which parks were busiest on which days, which rides were quietest at what times, good restaurants etc. Wouldnt have been without it. Also think its a good idea to (roughly) plan which days your going to which parks, and time off or water parks in between, before you go. We started with a medium busy park for some instant excitement after flying all that way, then alternated between "quiet" days (water park/shopping/hotel pool) and busy days (major theme parks).

We are thinking of going to Orlando next year when my boy will be 7. He is tall for his age so I dont think height will be a problem but, again, I think bravery will be! But there are so many other things apart from the big scary rides that we are not ruling it out.

Finally, after all that waffle :tongue , I've forgotten what my query was ....

Oh - where can you get the best deal these days? Back to Travel City Direct? Wasn't looking for long but the prices seemed high when I was checking last night.

thanks - anice
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.